Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NEW To Bowhunting

Quote Originally Posted by cmoore6 View Post
    I appreciate the information! That is very helpful. Also thanks for the tip! I’ll try it out once I get one.
    Glad to help, if you need anything just shoot me a pm and I will do what I can to help you
    I am a nobody, that met somebody, that can save anybody.

I’d say go somewhere and find out your draw length. Then, look online...especially at archerytalk.com in the classifieds. Any bow that isn’t abused/broken that was made after 2008...probably even before then...from Elite, Matthew’s, Bowtech (others too, but that’s my pick for great shooting bows) will be ridiculously well built, super quiet, advanced killing machines. There is no reason whatsoever to spend more than $400.00 for barebow...most will come with rest, quiver, sights and most will be sufficient. Up through 2007-2008ish, there were fairly large advancements in design that often made a big difference...since then, everybody tweaks little stuff from year to year and there hasn’t been anything so revolutionary that u need to spend 1K + for a damn bow. There is OT has been an elite synergy on here that you should snag if it’s still available.
    “I can’t wait ‘till I’m grown” is the stupidest @!#* I ever said!

Make a fist, put it against the wall and measure from the wall to the corner of your mouth with that arm comfortably extended. That’ll get you close on draw length. Subtract a half inch for a d loop. That will get you close enough to start. Draw length a little short is better than a little long.

Beyond that, most bow hunters love giving advice. Archerytalk.com is a wealth of knowledge. Good luck.
    Worship the LORD, not HIS creation.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

And to prove the advice part,

You generally get what you pay for with archery equipment just like any other hunting and fishing stuff. You usually just have to have some experience to appreciate it.
    Worship the LORD, not HIS creation.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

My last two bows came from archerytalk. They were each the previous year's flagship bows when I purchased them. I probably saved $400 on each by buying used. Not saying you can't get burned, but I've been happy with the bows I bought on AT.

Quote Originally Posted by jwilliams View Post
    Dang good deal. I bought my first bow (switchback) off of SCDUCKS. Think going the used route is definitely way to go for first bow imo.
    Ive had 5 bows over the last 5 years or so. I got the switchback based off of its reputation and it was by far my least favorite. I think most any bow in the last 7 years or so would be a good start.

Nothing personal. Just hated my Switchback and thought all of the newer bows I tried were in a different league.

There is a lot of good advice here about bows. I’ll try to give you some advice about Bowhunting. Don’t get the heaviest draw weight you can muster. There’s a ton of difference in standing on the ground in your yard in July, and sitting in a stand in December. Settle on a draw weight that you can easily creep back, as opposed to doing the hula in the stand. Learn to shoot sitting down, and try to shoot deer sitting down. You are far more anchored. Learn the anatomy of deer. Keep plenty of flashlights and learn to enjoy tracking deer. If you are an accomplished rifle hunter, start shooting some behind the shoulder to get practice blood trailing. Practice picking a spot on deer. When you shoot them with a rifle don’t pick a general area, pick a specific hair.

It’s an awesome challenge. Enjoy
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

Go to Irby St and speak with Todd or Jay in the archery section. They will measure your draw length and teach you everything you need to know to get started. You will get hands on and be able to shoot indoors. Start off with something more economical until you decide if you enjoy it. Lots of used bows will be coming up for sale with the new line of Matthews and Hoyts coming out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First things first.

What kinda saddle you gonna be running brah