Thread: Wild game meat from region to region...

Default Wild game meat from region to region...

Just reverse seared some fat whitetail backstrap steak off the ~300lb old ass buck I shot. Rut has not even thought about starting, so that makes a difference. The deer died instantly...and that makes a difference. That said, I’ve eaten a lot of 100lb whitetail does that died instantly, and they have never ever come close to the tenderness and flavor of this big ole buck. There is a ton to be said about eating an animal that does not feed on acorns. This old, grass-fed buck’s backstrap steaks just jumped over mule deer and pronghorn (which jumped ahead of Crane according to my pickiest eater). My wife and I still think Crane is at the top of the list. Just a PSA to encourage more people to head to oak-less areas to kill deer and start planning Crane hunting trips along with your duck trips.
    “I can’t wait ‘till I’m grown” is the stupidest @!#* I ever said!

Quote Originally Posted by WhitewaterDuck View Post
    Just reverse seared some fat whitetail backstrap steak off the ~300lb old ass buck I shot. Rut has not even thought about starting, so that makes a difference. The deer died instantly...and that makes a difference. That said, I’ve eaten a lot of 100lb whitetail does that died instantly, and they have never ever come close to the tenderness and flavor of this big ole buck. There is a ton to be said about eating an animal that does not feed on acorns. This old, grass-fed buck’s backstrap steaks just jumped over mule deer and pronghorn (which jumped ahead of Crane according to my pickiest eater). My wife and I still think Crane is at the top of the list. Just a PSA to encourage more people to head to oak-less areas to kill deer and start planning Crane hunting trips along with your duck trips.
    Are you taking reservations?
    When it comes your time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song and die like a hero going home. -Tecumseh-

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    You're also one of select few clemings with sense.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ1965 View Post
    Are you taking reservations?
    The public around here is better than the private that have access to. I just can’t get to the public due begin on call all the time. I’ll take anyone Crane hunting with me, but I can’t promise a good hunt. Damn few birds showed up this year...must have shifted to east to stay in better weather. But if anyone is in the neighborhood and I’d game, I’ll take em.
    “I can’t wait ‘till I’m grown” is the stupidest @!#* I ever said!

Maybe it is me but I can tell a big difference in whitetails from IL compared to SC. Naturally they are bigger/fatter but tenderloins/backstrap are off the chart

I assume it is the diet or maybe just because these deer put on a lot of winter where ours do not. Have no clue

Diet matters. Antelope and mule deer and midwestern whitetails I’ve eaten are superior to our whitetails. I also think having cool weather and being able to hang an animal for several days makes a big difference too.

I love a good antelope steak.

Western deer taste better than sc deer. It’s not even comparable. I don’t know if it’s acorns but something is different.

Quote Originally Posted by PimentoCheese View Post
    I love a good antelope steak.
    This right here.