Thread: Mini dot on a pistol

Default Mini dot on a pistol

I'm thinking abut putting a mini dot scope on a S&W M&P for IDPA shooting. From what I've found, when they mill the slide, they take out the back dovetail then mill a new dovetail behind it for a Glock co-witness/suppressor sight, which has a narrower dovetail. I have also found a Shield brand scope that fits a mount that rides in the existing back dovetail. No co-witness option for that and it would sit slightly higher that a milled slide.

I don't plan to actually get in a gun fight with this gun so I'm thinking of doing away with the iron sights all together. I don't want the higher snagier front sight. If my scope battery dies, I'll just change the battery and not lose a gun fight.

I'm looking at the Trijicon RMR v2.0, maybe the Leupold, maybe the Vortex, maybe the Shield (the smallest footprint). Looking at the online ads from machine shops that will mill the slide, it looks like the RMR is favored.

Do any here have any experience with pistol mounted dot scopes? Which brands do you like and what should I be looking for and looking out for?

I love my Burris FF3.

I have it on a glock 17. It takes time to learn the dot acquisition but I love it.

Hollowing 507k
    "You are Citadel Men, you have no pension for failure, you wear the Ring, you never let a friend down, you will be good fathers, husbands, and leaders in the armed forces and industry, you are strong in heart, body, and mind. You protect such things as Honor and Fidelity. Your virtues matter not only in wealth, but in the richness of family, you are the last of the knights."
    - late President Ronald Reagan

Trijicon RMR on several Glocks, 19 & 17. It’s a game changer. Takes a minute to get used to them but then it’s on.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Steelin' Ducks is the KRT of suppressors and such.

I took the front sight off my x5 when I put the Romeo on it. It’s in the way, too busy.

After I fired a couple hundred rounds with the dot, I was on time. Lot quicker on the plate rack and transition shots. It just takes some getting used to. Irons you focus on the front sight, dot you focus on the target.

I put a Vortex on my G19 about a year ago. I know the RMR is the standard for being bomb proof, I just don't personally like the tint and find the window too small. I'm currently mulling over what I want to upgrade to, the Delta Point or the Romeo Pro.

These things are game changers, I'm honestly thinking about moving to the P365 XL so I can put a dot on it and just reserve my 365 for when I need absolute minimum profile.

I don't like the way they look on the dovetail.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Trijicon SRO are great too.

One of the things that kept me a bit reluctant to jump into IDPA was the need to focus on the front sight. I have spent a lot of time and effort to hone my shotgunning skills. Learning to not see the bead or look at the barrel is pretty fundamental to the style I have been taught. Getting into pistol shooting and having to learn to focus on the front sight runs counter to that. The dot scope will let me focus on the target and not undo the habits I have tried to instill with wingshooting.

I have had dot scopes on rifles since they were a new concept. I've had one on a Contender hand cannon for years but that isn't a very naturally "pointable" pistol and the dot can be tricky to find in a hurry. The new mini scopes on more ergonomic defense guns are way easier to find the dot, at least from the ones I've handled.

I was really hoping a clear favorite would have been obvious from the responses here. It looks so far like there are several good choices.

You don’t have to have anything milled anymore. Everyone makes an optics ready pistol.
    Sig X5 with a Leupold Deltapoint Pro is the go to combo. If it’s a competition from gun don’t bother with sights.
    I shoot a Glock 17, with Delta Point Pro for USPSA Carry Optics. I had a Venom on it before the DPP. Whatever dot you get make sure it has a top load battery. Look at the EGW adaptors if you don’t want to commit to having your slide milled. I’ve shot both ways and seen no difference in accuracy.
    Last edited by FLS; 10-23-2020 at 08:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Row vs. Wade View Post
    Trijicon SRO are great too.
    Get the SRO if you’re set on Trijicon. It was designed with competition shooting in mind. Bigger window than the RMR and I believe less tint. I have it as well as the Holosun 508 v2 and 509t. Just got the holosuns. I like that Holosun has the circle dot options. Use Jagerwerks for the slide milling, install, and alignment. I sent a Glock 19 slide to them along with the barrel and recoil spring and got back a milled, re cerakoted, slide with an installed optic and suppressor height sights. They have package deals where they provide the optic, sights (if desired) and milling, so it’s a one stop shop. Very easy and can’t recommend them enough.

Check out Super Set CA on YouTube. They have comparison videos on all of the MRDS optics.

Last edited by wskinner; 10-23-2020 at 07:32 PM.