Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Let's talk about surveyors

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    They ain't skeered to mark a clear line. I can identify their work off an interstate while driving 80mph at a glance...
    I told someone that very thing yesterday, lmao!!! “I can drive down the interstate at 80 MPH and identify they’re work.

Quote Originally Posted by scquackaddict View Post
    Yeah there are good ones and bad ones like anything. Overall I think technology has aloud the younger generation to get around a lot of the field work involved. I’ve seen properties that were “surveyed” without a single line chopped or marked only corner pins. Pretty poor in my opinion.
    Nothing necessarily poor about it at all. The key point you’re missing is to provide the level of service required. I’ve surveyed 1700 acres before lunch and I’ve taken days to survey 10 acres.

Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    Nothing necessarily poor about it at all. The key point you’re missing is to provide the level of service required. I’ve surveyed 1700 acres before lunch and I’ve taken days to survey 10 acres.
    So i recon you don't give by the acre pricing

No one does. Acre is a relative term. Perimeter is what we survey and perimeter is what is priced. A square 1 acre has 840’ of perimeter. 1 acre that’s only a foot wide has 87,120’ of perimeter.....

Don’t be so obtuse as to think that a 1700 acre survey that only happens to take 4 hours to do is priced by the hour. Some times you get the bear and some times the bear gets you.

noted
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

I had a kid that moved down from Virginia that said he could cut line with a machete as fast as I could with a bush axe. After watching him wear himself out on a 4" tree, I had a good laugh about it.

Quote Originally Posted by jws View Post
    I had a kid that moved down from Virginia that said he could cut line with a machete as fast as I could with a bush axe. After watching him wear himself out on a 4" tree, I had a good laugh about it.
    My boss told me that one time. Now he doesn’t come out of the office and is full of estrogen, very sore looser

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    noted

Tater, do you do mostly property surveying? I surveyed for an engineering firm for about 10 years but I mostly surveyed for utility projects. I've never really done much plat surveying.

ha
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by Drakey View Post
    Tater, do you do mostly property surveying? I surveyed for an engineering firm for about 10 years but I mostly surveyed for utility projects. I've never really done much plat surveying.
    Pretty much, yeah. I was also staking the hell out of houses until lumber prices went thru the roof recently. I pretty much just pick and choose what I want to work on nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by SCSwitchback View Post
    Sometimes surveyors just have bad eyes. Or perhaps their safety gargles fog up.
    How did I miss this.....

I kill ewe.

Pretty much, yeah. I was also staking the hell out of houses until lumber prices went thru the roof recently. I pretty much just pick and choose what I want to work on nowadays.
    I work for a pretty good sized water company now and I've got 19 subdivisions going on. A decent surveyor could stay as busy as he wanted to in our district with houses alone.

No one does. Acre is a relative term. Perimeter is what we survey and perimeter is what is priced. A square 1 acre has 840’ of perimeter. 1 acre that’s only a foot wide has 87,120’ of perimeter.....

Don’t be so obtuse as to think that a 1700 acre survey that only happens to take 4 hours to do is priced by the hour. Some times you get the bear and some times the bear gets you.
    I was bein facetious and yankin your chain a little- i bought 43 acres and had it surveyed and line of site cut out of pocket prior to even putting in my firm offer- weren't buyin a pig in a poke- JWS's guys did a fine job and I still have legal action pending with the neighbor, the courts are off work drinkin Corona this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Drakey View Post
    I work for a pretty good sized water company now and I've got 19 subdivisions going on. A decent surveyor could stay as busy as he wanted to in our district with houses alone.
    Yep.

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Habit View Post
    I was bein facetious and yankin your chain a little- i bought 43 acres and had it surveyed and line of site cut out of pocket prior to even putting in my firm offer- weren't buyin a pig in a poke- JWS's guys did a fine job and I still have legal action pending with the neighbor, the courts are off work drinkin Corona this year.

Quote Originally Posted by tot View Post
    Bring your crew up here and we will go toe to toe. I’ll change your mind quick
    Nah, you can visit Jenkinsville if you wish.........
    Last edited by BRR; 10-28-2020 at 01:34 PM.

Back in my surveying days I worked for a big firm in Charlotte. We had a big topo with two crews and were going to spend a day cutting line before shooting it. Really thick. The other crew got a new guy that morning and we drove the 6-8 miles east from downtown and got to work. New guy was about 6'1 or 6'2 and prolly 225. We handed him a bush ax and said cut straight line this way. About an hour and a half later we were trying to check on him and his bush ax was stuck in the ground back out at the road. Looked up and saw him walking about 200 yards down the road headed back to town and that's the last we saw or heard from him.