Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Carolina Wildlife Syndicate - Samworth

Quote Originally Posted by swampknob View Post
    I don’t know shit about samworth or the area but why can’t the state run a pump then? For 5 million you could run power out there to multiple pumps.
    Most of the 5 mill prolly went to permitting, architects, and more permitting..... Also if money was actually an issue then why did none of them take up Duck Tape when more funds got offered?????
    Last edited by darealdeal; 10-23-2020 at 08:09 AM.
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

9 months out of the year I’m home sick for SC, during duck season I’m thankful I don’t live in SC.

The sooner you realize no government agency on this planet will ever attain even the slightest achievement the better off you'll be.

Quote Originally Posted by formerly bohica View Post
    I’m out. Ceddy said everything I’ve been trying to say.
    Oh, left out the fact that White House has a pump that keeps ditches dry.
    Same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Conservation means the wise use of the earth and its resources for the lasting good of men. -Gifford Pinchot

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

Just from the outside looking in, CWS comes across as a bunch of pretentious and whiny children.

Quote Originally Posted by darealdeal View Post
    Most of the 5 mill prolly went to permitting, architects, and more permitting..... Also if money was actually an issue then why did none of them take up Duck Tape when more funds got offered?????
    Here's a huge difference! I do not know jack about either of these properties but i do know that the States requirements as far as permitting and design are way over board. Its one thing to do it by the book, but another to let a good operator go that knows what needs to happen... See it everyday working in both the private and public sector. I have seen it in both instances and both achieved what they set out to do. One spent a pile of money on the front end... Imagine something DOT of the natural resources.

the barge deal, well that's a whole different ball of wax!! I know this first hand also and it is a HUGE pain in the ass!!!
    you aint did a dawg gon thang until ya STAND UP IN IT!- Theodis Ealey

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    The older I get, the more anal retentive I get.

If we can permit and directionally drill a massive water main under the Kiawah river for a little more than that price that has been thrown around in here, they should be able to freaking handle a dewatering line item to get in there and do proper maintenance/planting.

Is Frank still running the barge down there?

Quote Originally Posted by swampknob View Post
    If we can permit and directionally drill a massive water main under the Kiawah river for a little more than that price that has been thrown around in here, they should be able to freaking handle a dewatering line item to get in there and do proper maintenance/planting.

Is Frank still running the barge down there?
    Directional drill is an easy $$ maker! Call me on the next one... Yes, Grumpy Frank is still running it, when it's running....
    you aint did a dawg gon thang until ya STAND UP IN IT!- Theodis Ealey

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    The older I get, the more anal retentive I get.

Quote Originally Posted by fro View Post
    Directional drill is an easy $$ maker! Call me on the next one... Yes, Grumpy Frank is still running it, when it's running....
    Samworth and South Island are different places we are talking about Samworth.

Conservation means the wise use of the earth and its resources for the lasting good of men. -Gifford Pinchot

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

Quote Originally Posted by Remy View Post
    The sooner you realize no government agency on this planet will ever attain even the slightest achievement the better off you'll be.
    There it is.

Quote Originally Posted by ceddy View Post
    Quarter drains...you can’t plant Samworth because you can’t get the fields dry enough. Yes I know, same type of fields on the same river but less than 200 yards from Whitehouse, quit acting cool like you know the man who owns it, I couldn’t get a tractor to stand up if I had a gun to my head. Without the cookie cutter we will continue to manage as moist soil. Oh and a field without dry land access is a whole other bitch and a half. Since you all are so good in managing those fields down there for other people, how bout somebody find me a barge so I can work on my FIL’s. They seem to have gotten scarce if you aren’t SCDNR. And another thing, DNR isn’t managing with remotely the same checkbook so don’t even try.
    I reckon if you had : access to 2 biologist , 3 trackhoe operators, another part time hourly operator and a full time staff of one biologist, 2 techs and one full time trackhoe operator you might be able to build your own barge. That is exactly the staff that Samworth has and that is per their own 2020 budget request.

Lets not forget that this was all done successfully pre electricity, pre gasoline / diesel , pre medicines not less than a hundred years ago. But here we are people with todays folks with dozers , trachoes, skeeter suits, bug spray, medicine galore, electric, diesel, airplanes, helicopters etc saying it can't be done.

Put some dirt on the damn thing, rub it in good like and get back to work.

And ceedy , Samworth was planted for years, corn even. For the love of God folks, how you reckon they planted back in the 1800s they didn't have a goldarned tractor and if you think planting rice for strictly waterfowl use requires a tractor I can't help you and if you are the type that thinks its to hard to hand pull sicklepod , same. Aerial delivery ain't just for storks and babies and its not new technology, nor is crop dusting hint hint.

BTW , ironically for waterfowl benefit, you don't have to have a fully dry field to plant rice and you can even time your drop to not seed out until the density of bobos have passed.

If you think this private enterprise spent 9 million planting rice , you are dead ass wrong. It would do you well to talk to him and ask him his thoughts on Samworth.

Nice to know SCNDR has all the barges lulz. But if you need one seriously I can likely get you one. Pm me.
    Genesis 9;2

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    There it is.
    Crying shame, do less, spend more, then fill the tote full of excuses and failures. You may win me over to your thoughts on public land ownership one day at least as far as SC is concerned, abysmal. Then I trounce into Indiana, or Missouri or Alabama or Arkansas or Illinois or Kansas or Nebraska or Kentuck and see giant rivers that make our floods look small in size and duration and tornadoes and droughts and the people there get it done with a smile and well and I have hope. I never have been the brightest realist.
    Genesis 9;2

I stand correct. Know it all, pretentious and whiny is a better description.

[QUOTE=swampknob;2802513]If we can permit and directionally drill a massive water main under the Kiawah river for a little more than that price that has been thrown around in here, they should be able to freaking handle a dewatering line item to get in there and do proper maintenance/planting.

You are onto something , but per some that would also make you whiny and pretentious.
    Genesis 9;2

Quote Originally Posted by jcoker View Post
    I stand correct. Know it all, pretentious and whiny is a better description.
    I'll play - I'll call your pretentious and whiny card and raise you a stfu plus an I don't give a damn lip smacker. Skin it.

What the hell are you doing for SC hunting improvement other than eating twinkies and talking shat, what meetings have you attended, what volunteer work have you done with your own time for the greater good of hunting? Mouthy punks don't sit well with me these days, same shat that got us where we are today, run your mouth, sit on the couch and run the flapper.

Stick with tennis balls bo.
    Last edited by Strick9; 10-23-2020 at 12:01 PM.
    Genesis 9;2

Where do these numbers come from? 5 million, 9 million, etc??

Quote Originally Posted by Strick9 View Post
    I'll play - I'll call your pretentious and whiny card and raise you a stfu plus an I don't give a damn lip smacker. Skin it.

What the hell are you doing for SC hunting improvement other than eating twinkies and talking shat, what meetings have you attended, what volunteer work have you done with your own time for the greater good of hunting? Mouthy punks don't sit well with me these days, same shat that got us where we are today, run your mouth, sit on the couch and run the flapper.

Stick with tennis balls bo.
    Ha

You don’t like being questioned huh? Tell us about your credentials to be leading such a charge.

Does anyone actually ever do anything but talk about it? I’d really like to know

Quote Originally Posted by Timber Ghost View Post
    Does anyone actually ever do anything but talk about it? I’d really like to know

Depends on what you mean by do anything? Personally, over the course of many years I have traveled with SCDNR and others to see the CAT 1s, observe the reported problems, studied budgets, staffing and equipment issues, designs and otherwise. Originally, having worked for both the feds and the state in the biology world and later as a warden overseeing these same areas I lobbied on behalf of SCDNR to help them get what they said they needed. However, there was a regime change and after seeing repetitive failures year after year and with fixes still not in place and wildly incorrect hires while hearing a multitude of excuses of it became impossible not to call a spade a spade.

These days I speak, attend meetings, continue to observe, study budgets and in general relay that information to those in charge and to congressmen weekly to keep them abreast of what is and is not being done in these areas of state and federal wild game management. Having worked on the same projects and for the same departments when it was under different management and seeing the productivity vs now I would be lying if I didn't say it is a hell of a grind day in and day out.

But you asked is anybody actually doing anything, well, so far as to waterfowl , probably the biggest win for CWS and the public hunter was us personally figuring out what was wrong with the new infrastructure at Broad River installed and designed by DU. After raising cane, we finally goth both DU and SCDNR to get that done and this will be the first year in several that decent crops have been in place. Add to that CWS was openly and adamantly opposed to that manager hire and we finally got a new and proper manager in place there. Second biggest would be the meetings where we pushed and received a renewed agreement on Moultrie and Marion to include more percentage of aquatic vegetation. That should be out soon if not already.

Behind the scenes there are hopefully big wins coming concerning waterfowl. Though it grates me to no end, the CAT 1 closures are directly related to congress saying enough is enough , get your butt in gear and that all occurred because we brought it to their attention in photographic evidence, in person evidence and in budget numbers compared to harvest and participation rates. That said, I am not letting off the gas nor the pressure regardless. If we have to shut it down to get it fixed right and move forward then so be it, however that should also keep everyone alert for negligent management moving forward. What I can absolutely say is that CWS brings attention to the forefront through a unified voice of over 7,500 concerned hunters. Congress is catching on and digging deeper into why these situations are not being corrected when more and more money is pouring into them. Audits are real.

In the end and simply put CWS is working for SC to have better waterfowl management and other wild game management on our public lands so that you the hunter will have a more reasonable chance of success, which in the end will protect our hunting culture. I realize some of you may be young and so what you see today is your reality. But for those of us older we have seen a time when waterfowl impoundments were treated like gold , when national forests roads, food plots and timber were managed to near perfection and days where the dollars of the hunter and the hunter himself were valued. Remnants of these days can be seen in tattered public use facilities on WMA lands across this state. Meanwhile staff numbers are greater than ever, budgets are being approved and equipment bought but the hunter sees no return.

I'll admit I might fly off the handle a little bit when CWS gets attacked. That is a little closed minded of me and for that I apologize but these days I find myself shorter and shorter on patience and time as I watch the anti hunter making unified advancements as hunters sit on their butts thinking it will all be ok or just bickering back and forth as if the other was the enemy.

On top of my personal life I have fully dedicated myself and my time and my own money to making our state a better place to hunt for the public land and water hunter, not because I want to kill more but because I want you to kill more. I want you and your kids to have great and successful hunts on our public lands and waters. I want them to make memories with you and you with them that will be cherished for a lifetime.

I want our hunting heritage to thrive. In my shortsightedness and focus I may well bulldoze through and over people at times, again I apologize. For the life of me though, I sincerely can't understand why CWS gets attacked when we have some of the most knowledgeable rice growers, land owners, hunters, congressmen, land managers etc on our side which all see the same things day in and day out, the failure of our state and feds to even remotely manage our public lands properly. We are all pushing for one thing and that is better quality hunting in the state of SC for YOU.

For those who attack- I would honestly like to know, what can I do better , how can I describe things such that you understand what is going on ? What is it that angers you in our mission stance, our actions, our goals, our methods, our delivery ? What makes you push back against wanting better hunting for you, your kids and for generations to come? What can I do differently to gain your support in making SC a better place for all things public hunting related?
    Last edited by Strick9; 10-23-2020 at 08:02 PM.
    Genesis 9;2

Quote Originally Posted by jcoker View Post
    Ha

You don’t like being questioned huh? Tell us about your credentials to be leading such a charge.
    You haven't questioned him until now. Just thrown out insults. Are you dating Ceddy?

How does calling into question management practices that are obviously lacking in success make someone whiny and pretentious? This could be an adult conversation with opinions all around, but you have to throw out insults, which is all you seem to offer, so why not excuse yourself from this conversation and do something else with your afternoon?
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14