Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hunting vs assisting vs observing. The law or lack there of.

If you can’t afford a hunting license don’t hunt! If you want to tag along buy a license- no need to over complicate the situation.

Quote Originally Posted by bitesize View Post
    If you can’t afford a hunting license don’t hunt! If you want to tag along buy a license- no need to over complicate the situation.
    My thoughts exactly. Just buy a license and go enjoy. My wife never fishes or hunts when we go, but she has a license to do both.

It's not that hard or expensive to do and you don't have to worry about this crap.

I will contradict myself slightly. A driver of game needs a license but it's hard to tell the girl that is in the deer stand with you for "entertainment purposes" that she needs to take a class and obtain a hunting license to go along with the KY Jelly purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by bitesize View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jcoker View Post
    My thoughts exactly. Just buy a license and go enjoy. My wife never fishes or hunts when we go, but she has a license to do both.

It's not that hard or expensive to do and you don't have to worry about this crap.
    At this point in my life, correct and no arguments.

At the point where I wanted some deer stand company and was scraping together enough money for ammo or corn...not an option.

Totally spitballing here...I'd wager that most of the infractions are hitting the younger kids.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Seems to be making a mountain out of a mole hill. Waste of people's time and resources to deal with this non-issue.

Quote Originally Posted by southernbip View Post
    I will contradict myself slightly. A driver of game needs a license but it's hard to tell the girl that is in the deer stand with you for "entertainment purposes" that she needs to take a class and obtain a hunting license to go along with the KY Jelly purchase.
    That won't matter for you pretty soon.
    DILLIGAF

They were suppose to fix when they added the apprentice license.

The safety course is as dumb as a CWP. A permit and class to use a right.

It's not quite as simple as just buy a license. To get a hunting license the person must completely the VERY arduous Hunter Ed course online or in person. I try to take a few new hunters every year and this is a problem every single time. Even to take my little sister as an observer I had to drag her through the exam to make sure she didn't get ticketed.

Hunt club cook, got a ticket for sitting on the tailgate talking to the hunters.

Wife and husband walking out of a box blind on private property, wife ticketed at the gate for hunting without a license, has never even fired a rifle, husband had been trying to get her to go for years.

Son on a dog drive ticketed because he was holding a leashed dog, has never hunted, doesn't like to actually kill stuff but loves his dogs.

A dog trainer ticketed for training his quail dogs on live birds with no weapon anywhere in the vicinity.

Large plantation has a youth style hunt where the youth simply accompany an adult to watch and observe to see what hunting is all about. Warden tells them moving forward every kid has to have a license. Program shut down until then. Think about that one.

That's just a few of the 24 examples that I received very quickly and vetted before taking this to the attorney.

Of course some of the complaints I received were bs ( @9) in my opinion but there was more than enough for me to dig and see that the actual law that defines " hunting and hunter" does not actually even exist in title 50 and further that the law being forced as the definition is only the case law of Virginia and as written would require anyone who even sneaks a peak or a photo or a walk in the woods where they want to see or photo or draw a game animal to have a license and that is horse shit.

I am fairly blessed financially, many are not, especially right now and 50 bucks to hunt WMA is a weeks groceries to some folks. Further for a youth that wants to hunt to approach his or non hunting parent and ask for 50 bucks for a license and get it is a stretch, personally I don't jive with this one and say get a job but still.

That go be poor somewhere else peasant closed minded mouth some of you guys are flapping will earn you a busted lip from a down on his luck pipe fitter one day. I can damn sure remember when 50 bucks was a weeks spending money.

Many of you have no idea of the largeness or the power or the money or the evil or the hate or the corruption that is being harnessed to suppress our hunting culture every single day. How about requiring a license to eat wild game that you didn't kill ? Good with that?

Its about not being exclusionary to would be hunters , especially our youth and middle aged.

The law should be simple for hunting license.

Hunting= the act of an individual attempting to kill wild game.

Hunter = a person attempting to kill wild game.

For foxes, squirrels, racoons, bears etc where the quarry is not killed - a Game Running and Baying license addendum or stamp could be required or for that matter the hunting license could simply cover it all.

Always remember this pathway of which the anti hunters are using daily :

Decrease the game numbers = decrease hunter success + increase and overcomplicate regulation = decrease future hunter participation = breaking the backbone of the 2nd Amendment.
    Last edited by Strick9; 10-22-2020 at 11:23 AM.
    Genesis 9;2

Most female “observers” in deer stands with their boyfriends have their head down and rarely help spotting game
    “The price of freedom is eternal vigilance” - Thomas Jefferson

Post up the wardens name, location, and person who was charged (it should be public record ).
    This is what Ducktape said he was wanting to tackle .... come on Phillip.

This, if it’s as true as you make it out to be, is a crock of shit considering hunter recruitment numbers.
    “The price of freedom is eternal vigilance” - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
    It's not quite as simple as just buy a license. To get a hunting license the person must completely the VERY arduous Hunter Ed course online or in person. I try to take a few new hunters every year and this is a problem every single time. Even to take my little sister as an observer I had to drag her through the exam to make sure she didn't get ticketed.
    Why not use the apprentice license for one year?

Quote Originally Posted by Bigtimber2 View Post
    Why not use the apprentice license for one year?
    I did not know about this. What does it allow/cost?

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Nice - looks like it applies for a single year of hunting for those who do not have Hunters Ed. Thanks for mentioning it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
    I did not know about this. What does it allow/cost?

Its $ 12 dollars and can only be bought for one year. It does not cover other needs such as WMA, Big Game etc, HIP, Waterfowl, tags and so forth.

The apprentice must be accompanied by a standard license holder over the age of 21
    Genesis 9;2

Quote Originally Posted by Strick9 View Post
    Hunt club cook, got a ticket for sitting on the tailgate talking to the hunters.

Wife and husband walking out of a box blind on private property, wife ticketed at the gate for hunting without a license, has never even fired a rifle, husband had been trying to get her to go for years.

Son on a dog drive ticketed because he was holding a leashed dog, has never hunted, doesn't like to actually kill stuff but loves his dogs.

A dog trainer ticketed for training his quail dogs on live birds with no weapon anywhere in the vicinity.

Large plantation has a youth style hunt where the youth simply accompany an adult to watch and observe to see what hunting is all about. Warden tells them moving forward every kid has to have a license. Program shut down until then. Think about that one.

That's just a few of the 24 examples that I received very quickly and vetted before taking this to the attorney.

Of course some of the complaints I received were bs ( @9) in my opinion but there was more than enough for me to dig and see that the actual law that defines " hunting and hunter" does not actually even exist in title 50 and further that the law being forced as the definition is only the case law of Virginia and as written would require anyone who even sneaks a peak or a photo or a walk in the woods where they want to see or photo or draw a game animal to have a license and that is horse shit.

I am fairly blessed financially, many are not, especially right now and 50 bucks to hunt WMA is a weeks groceries to some folks. Further for a youth that wants to hunt to approach his or non hunting parent and ask for 50 bucks for a license and get it is a stretch, personally I don't jive with this one and say get a job but still.

That go be poor somewhere else peasant closed minded mouth some of you guys are flapping will earn you a busted lip from a down on his luck pipe fitter one day. I can damn sure remember when 50 bucks was a weeks spending money.

Many of you have no idea of the largeness or the power or the money or the evil or the hate or the corruption that is being harnessed to suppress our hunting culture every single day. How about requiring a license to eat wild game that you didn't kill ? Good with that?

Its about not being exclusionary to would be hunters , especially our youth and middle aged.

The law should be simple for hunting license.

Hunting= the act of an individual attempting to kill wild game.

Hunter = a person attempting to kill wild game.

For foxes, squirrels, racoons, bears etc where the quarry is not killed - a Game Running and Baying license addendum or stamp could be required or for that matter the hunting license could simply cover it all.

Always remember this pathway of which the anti hunters are using daily :

Decrease the game numbers = decrease hunter success + increase and overcomplicate regulation = decrease future hunter participation = breaking the backbone of the 2nd Amendment.
    Agreed. Been saying for years that licensing and just hunting regulations in general have gotten way over complicated. You need 4 or 5 different permits/licenses/etc just to go hunt deer. Dove regulations are a fucking joke. You need a poster on your boat and high speed internet to know which fish you can keep and what size they have to be. Nothing like having a new potential hunter, no matter whether its an adult or a kid and harass you for having your wife in the field watching without camo or a gun, or give someone a $200+ ticket for shooting a crow. Instead of making it easier to recruit new hunters, they've made it much more difficult and continue to do so.

Fox, rabbit, and coon hunting without a weapon is hunting......and should be.

Girlfriends in the deer stands is a whole different ballgame.

I was told by the local warden that even though I have slot of rods in my boat,.....no more than two rods on the deck while my wife is laying out on the back deck....and I'm good.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Agreed with Switchback and Strick9 wholeheartedly.

Imagine the PITA gatekeeping bullshit they described plus the friggin' cost if the child or adult non-hunter is a NR in town for a short visit.

Quote Originally Posted by Catdaddy View Post
    Fox, rabbit, and coon hunting without a weapon is hunting......and should be.

Then simply looking and watching would constitute hunting.

I have to disagree. In my opine hunting in our culture means an attempt kill or take. As per natural resources if you are not physically taking from the resource then I see no need for a license.

If however our state continues down this route that a watcher is a hunter ( which I have a feeling is what this whole ambiguity is about, it wasn't accidental ) then those bird watchers, photographers, hikers etc are soon going to be required to have a license.

As soon as that happens those non hunters will have an equal say in public hunting lands as well. AWAKE YET?

In short you just ate the bait , hell some hunters are demanding they pay , idiots, in effect making them pay is throwing your hunting rights out the door. Anti hunters actually give a damn, don't argue over the main points and fight like hell together to win.
    Last edited by Strick9; 10-22-2020 at 01:12 PM.
    Genesis 9;2

Should you have s license if your dogs are catching 1-2 rabbits everytime you go?

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk