Thread: Fall Jobbler

Default Fall Jobbler

I posted this pic in the deer hunting forum, but I wanted to put it here too. This is the first fall turkey I’ve killed. I always buy a fall tag in Ohio despite knowing that it’s about a 99% certainty that a turkey will bust me in a tree trying to draw. This is the first time I’ve tried to target a fall turkey, and it is cool to see the progression from Jake to Longbeard. I thought “jake” when I first looked at the beard, but when I spread the fan out and didn’t see the feather step down and looked at the tiny spurs, I realized that next years “jakes” in the fall are likely very difficult to distinguish from hens in a fall hunting situation. This bird is a tweener and woulda been a 2yo longbeard come spring. There is a small step down in feathers and spurs are more spur-like than nubs. Nothing mind-boggling...I’ve just never thought about the constant growing process of beards and spurs. Wasn’t really thinking about it at the time, but I wish I’d have held off and killed a hen and left this guy to make me feel good about my calling come spring.
    Last edited by WhitewaterDuck; 10-20-2020 at 06:19 PM. Reason: Forgot picture
    “I can’t wait ‘till I’m grown” is the stupidest @!#* I ever said!

Well I hope there’s not a pic here or I’m now also having problems seeing your pics

I read somewhere that it’s better to shoot a jake in the fall based on natural mortality rates. Killed a few fall turkeys here in sc prior to the fall season going away.
    Last edited by Spur hunter; 10-20-2020 at 05:54 PM.
    Worship the LORD, not HIS creation.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

Those are called jake and a halves. Seriously. Birds in the fall are generally in three distinct groups, hens with young of the year, jake and a halves and long beards.

In my yard in Florence three weeks ago. He walked out of the city limits to get here.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by aquaman View Post
    Those are called jake and a halves. Seriously. Birds in the fall are generally in three distinct groups, hens with young of the year, jake and a halves and long beards.
    Definitely so. Wish I had read a thread like this before going on a fall turkey hunt, looking back, I recall that there was a big discrepancy in bird sizes...when all I could see were their heads, I thought they were spread out a long way close to far...as I got a better look at their bodies, I thought the same thing, but they all looked like they were bunched up. When this turkey turned and walked a few steps toward me, I thought he had come much closer, because he was much bigger than most of the birds in the group. I also saw a hen that I thought had to be a longbeard because she was so much bigger than the “hens” she was clustered with. I now realize that was a hen with the first year birds and the jake and a half didn’t come that far toward me...just was a bigger bird than the others and looked a lot closer.

Spur, I’m guessing that you are talking about a jake or hen born this past spring...likely would not have a visible beard (one of these Merriams) at this time.
    I’ll be trying to shoot one of the small birds next fall.
    Last edited by WhitewaterDuck; 10-20-2020 at 06:32 PM.
    “I can’t wait ‘till I’m grown” is the stupidest @!#* I ever said!

Have had the pleasure of hunting fall turkeys in Ohio and New York with Appalachian Turkey dogs which find and flush the birds. You then sit close to the busy site and call the birds back to you.

Bust

Yes I was talking about young if the year jake. See you got a “1.5” now. Congrats either way.
    Worship the LORD, not HIS creation.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

Gorgeous bird and picture brother!
    Genesis 9;2