Thread: Cummins 5.9 or 6.7?

Default Cummins 5.9 or 6.7?

I am about to be in the market for a used truck. I have had, and have always loved, the 5.9 but have never dealt with the 6.7. Does anyone have thoughts on which is better and why? My latest year model will probably be 2011 or so for financial reasons.
    Also I was a diesel mechanic in my earlier life so don't shy away from getting technical.
    Thanks in advance

I had a 5.9 for about 8 years. 0 issues, towed well,etc.

Sold the truck for about $7K less than I paid for it after 8 years of driving......I think that was pretty good.

It is the last of what most consider “real” Diesel engines.
    Last edited by Chessbay; 10-20-2020 at 12:23 PM.

The rest of the newer trucks are better but that 5.9 was one of the best ever built.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

I’ve had both. No problems with either engine. I currently have a new Ram 3500 with the HO 6.7 Cummins. I prefer the 6.7. Way more stock power and deleted power. It is a real beast when unleashed from the emissions crap. And in the market that you are interested in, warranty issues by deleting won’t be an issue.

This is very helpful. I was worried there may be horror stories but I haven’t found any.
    Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by ColumbiaCornbread View Post
    This is very helpful. I was worried there may be horror stories but I haven’t found any.
    Thanks again
    I have had multiple diesel trucks through the years. 6.0L ford, duramax, 5.9 cummins and I currently have a 2018 ram with the cummins. My only advice is the 5.9 is a beast but the older dodges are not well made IMO. I am not sure of the years when Daimler got involved but the quality really improved. I had a 2000. The motor ran like a raped ape (especially after exhaust and a tuner), but the transmission was shit. The whole front end needed to be rebuilt, the interior was cheesy. I sold it and bought a 6L gas chevy 2500. I am very happy with my current truck. I want to delete it but the warranty is still good so I am hesitant. Deleting really wakes up the newer trucks.
    Miner's Daughter's Coal Train 'Rosco'

"The only human quality he lacks is speech" -Alfred Brehm

5.9 can’t be beat. The transmission on the other hand

And front end

Selling my 6.0 PSD if you want it

No experience with 6.7, but love my 5.9 6 speed.

I had a '10 Ram 6.7. I really liked that engine. No DEF in those years that you are looking at also.