Thread: Man in black

Default Man in black

Johnny Cash was 'a real good hunter,' says N.L. guide who took him hunting in 1961

New photos of the trip to Newfoundland uncovered by son of Cash's former manager

Alex Kennedy · CBC News

Photos of Johnny Cash's moose hunting trip to Newfoundland have been widely shared for years, but the story itself is seldom told.

Heman Whalen, now 88, served as Cash's guide when the iconic singer-songwriter went hunting near Millertown in October 1961.

Whalen remembers the trip like it was yesterday.

Heman Whalen jokes it took Johnny Cash ten-times longer to field dress a moose than it would for him to do it. (Newfoundland Photos Courtesy Jonathan Holiff and Glen Chaytor)

"We were fortunate, I guess, in keeping it fairly quiet," Whalen said.

"But then on the other hand … when this trip took place, Johnny Cash wasn't as famous as he went on to be."

Whalen is part of a team working to tell the story of Cash's trip to the province, after never-before-seen photos of the trip were uncovered by independent filmmaker Jonathan Holiff — son of Cash's former manager, Saul Holiff.

"Everyone thinks of Johnny Cash as sort of being a tremendous entertainer and a musician," Whalen told CBC's St. John's Morning Show. "However, I saw Johnny Cash as a real good hunter."

Whalen remembers meeting Cash for the first time: both men were 29 at the time, and Whalen said they instantly connected.

Heman Whalen, left, and Johnny Cash hunting for moose near Millertown. This photo is dated Oct. 11, 1961. (Newfoundland Photos Courtesy Jonathan Holiff and Glen Chaytor)

"He was in the station wagon, introduced himself, and I introduced myself. And from then on I would say we were the best of friends," he said.

"We went on to the cabin … We got in and settled away, had a meal. Then of course the guitars [were] out."

It didn't take long the next day for Cash to show his hunting skills, Whalen said.

"I was very anxious to see Johnny Cash get his moose first," Whalen said. "Once he got it, it took a little bit of a burden off my shoulders. About 20 minutes out of camp, he had a moose.

"I found out later that he was quite happy to get the much smaller moose, cause he was looking for the perfect meat," he added. "He wanted good eating meat, which is what he got. Generally if I'm alone it would take me 10 minutes to field dress a moose. It probably took Johnny Cash an hour."

Whalen remembers the chats he had with Cash, connecting on things like family life and how they grew up.

"Johnny Cash was a very family-minded person. He grew up doing what his mother told him and his father told him, that was his philosophy in life," Whalen said.

"He was a very ordinary person. He thought Newfoundland was a beautiful place … he had dreams of coming back again."

Whalen also remembered how the trip ended, calling it "a pleasure" to hunt with Cash.

"We agreed not to say goodbye, we agreed to say that we would get together again. We both underrated how much we enjoyed the trip," Whalen said. "We had a lot of admiration for each other."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfo...land-1.5755497

super cool.
    "JUST BECAUSE I AM NOT A GOOD SPELLER DOESN'T MEAN MY JEAN POLL IS GONNA BE BAD."
    Quote Originally Posted by Mergie Master View Post
    There's evidence coming out...
    Quote Originally Posted by Cottontop74 View Post
    I dabble in a lot of things, but don't get too technical with any of them.