Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Russell Ramsey Just a Mallard?

Quote Originally Posted by Catdaddy View Post
    What's your opinion on introducing the non-native Mottled ducks in SC?

Canada geese?

Blue catfish?
    Geese were a terribly bad idea and should be, like hogs and coyotes, eradicated if possible.

Fish are usually confined within the basis were they are released but there still needs to be some thought about whether they create new competition or simply fill-in a niche. I do think it's illegal to release non-native fish into our waters - we need to do that with birds too.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

It’s only illegal for civilians to do that.

State Agencies can release non-native fish for the purpose of destroying native (and non-native) vegetation in any quantity or any body of water they choose, and have done so since 1989.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

But we both have known that for a long time, and pray for the day our legislators will grow a backbone and outlaw the use of them.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

High time we can get a consensus and get these programs stopped. Listening to both of those podcast will give you a lot to research and ponder for sure.
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

Catdaddy said captive bred. All of the mottled ducks released were wild caught.

Mottled ducks have been a success story. I can't think of any negatives they have caused. But unintended consequences seem to be the rule rather than the exception with any sort of release program.

And I cant understand why the exotic pet trade is at all legal. Its a total mystery to me. How much political clout do lizard breeders have, anyway?
    Last edited by GMAC; 10-21-2020 at 06:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GMAC View Post
    Correct
    If it aint got 8 toes & a green head,it aint a duck.

How much political clout do lizard breeders have, anyway?
    Never, ever under estimate the Lizard Lobby.

I said introduced. I realize they were completely wild and I agree the program was successful. The DNR rolled the dice and got lucky,.....not so much with flathead catfish. I'm on the fence with canada geese and blue catfish introductions.......most aren't.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Coastal mottled ducks are actually limiting my opportunity for a left-right double on black ducks that I've always wanted...I might need to head to mountains...