Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Russell Ramsey Just a Mallard?

Default Russell Ramsey Just a Mallard?

http://tektongamecalls.com

Tekton Game Calls

843-290-9569

I listened the other day. Any duck hunter on the east coast needs to listen and just about anybody interested in ducks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cliff notes Joey?
    Genesis 9;2

Black ducks a product of their environment

Wild mallards are truly only west of the Mississippi

scwa and other released birds aren’t messing with mottled ducks or blacks but crippling for any mallard population

1920-1960 approximately 500k mallards released a year in the AF. (Game farm birds)

the Atlantic flyway mallard is over 10% different genetically from a wild mallard west of the Mississippi.

And so many more good nuggets.

Tekton Game Calls

843-290-9569

According to his study in 2010, if You shoot a mallard in the Atlantic flyway, you have a 10% chance of killing a true wild duck and not a game farm duck.

At the end he makes a comment about declining Great Lakes mallards might be related to released birds in the AF. Seems the Flyway Foundation found out that’s where our wild mallards come from and we continue to release birds to the detriment of the species.

Definitely worth the listen.
    Last edited by joeydpga; 10-18-2020 at 09:52 PM.

Tekton Game Calls

843-290-9569

Thanks for sending it.
    867-5309

I got out of it that there’s a 5 % chance a mottled will be hybridized by a mallard and 25%chance a black duck would be hybridized by a mallard. And a Florida mottled with a white bar is more of the pure form mottled.
    Last edited by Relentlous; 10-18-2020 at 09:52 PM.
    867-5309

Quote Originally Posted by Relentlous View Post
    Thanks for sending it.
    Yeah buddy

Tekton Game Calls

843-290-9569

Mallards were rare to the AF prior to the late 1800s. They were as rare as if you was to kill a cinnamon teal here today
    867-5309

Despite the rice production in the late 1700s/early 1800s? Where does this info come from ?
    “The price of freedom is eternal vigilance” - Thomas Jefferson

Comparing DNA from birds in the Smithsonian

Tekton Game Calls

843-290-9569

I got out of it that there’s a 5 % chance a mottled will be hybridized by a mallard and 25%chance a black duck would be hybridized by a mallard. And a Florida mottled with a white bar is more of the pure form mottled.
    Like this one?

FD093433-7742-4B91-89C0-FF5FE8975345.jpeg

Or like this?
    6887D79A-F238-4EE8-A2AC-67559520B360.jpeg

Both killed in the same spot in Florida- it is in the Kissimmee chain of lakes
    Last edited by abarill; 10-19-2020 at 12:12 AM.
    Never confuse enthusiasm for capability

The other part of this is that hybrid blacks hardly ever breed with black ducks but mallards. So his main point on that was that the hybrids created by release birds breeding with blacks don’t really deplete the black duck gene pool but more so detriment the wild mallard gene pool. Meaning the wild mallard population is in more danger from hybridization than black ducks.

The white bar on the mottled is a genetic variation that apparently 1 in 10 mottleds have. Like red hair or blue eyes in a person or connected ear lobes or disconnected. Not all of them are exactly the same.

Quote Originally Posted by codeman216 View Post
    The white bar on the mottled is a genetic variation that apparently 1 in 10 mottleds have. Like red hair or blue eyes in a person or connected ear lobes or disconnected. Not all of them are exactly the same.

So where you kill the duck is a better indicator than the bars and coloration.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

I will listen to this but I will say a few things before I do...

I trust science. I don't trust scientists.

My two thoughts on the mangling of mallard genetics are 1) any probably (P>0.00000%) of a release bird's genetics getting into any wild population should be enough to shut every release program down permanently and 2) genetic mangling is one of only 7 major issues I have with the release problem...

In no particular order...

1) It's an unnecessary disease vector,
    2) Any introduction of altered genetics is permanent and should be avoided at all costs,
    3) Release birds are used as live decoys and, like bait, every released bird should be removed from an area for a minimum of 10 days before that area can be legally hunted,
    4) It damages the long-held justifications that non-subsistence hunting is about the sport and the resource and not simply killing,
    5) It competes with legitimate production-based and protection-based game management techniques for capital and operational funding,
    6) Even without genetic swapping, release mallards out-compete black ducks and mottled ducks for the most productive nesting areas, and
    7) Release birds killed outside of their release areas sully the experience for other hunters who may intend to hunt wild reared birds.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

It’s a very eye opening study on the American mallard complex.

The wild mallards of the 1930s - 90s were not truly wild, but feral game farm birds brought over from Europe and released into the Atlantic Flyway.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Okay, I listened. It is refreshing to hear a well-studied individual that disagrees with the MPR on both a scientific and philosophical level. Overdone Arkansas-accent man shouldn't interrupt so much.

Quote Originally Posted by BOGSTER View Post
    It’s a very eye opening study on the American mallard complex.

The wild mallards of the 1930s - 90s were not truly wild, but feral game farm birds brought over from Europe and released into the Atlantic Flyway.
    I agree with science, but its hard for me to believe that 180000 mallards coming to Santee in the 70's were tamies.

Quote Originally Posted by Catdaddy View Post
    I agree with science, but its hard for me to believe that 180000 mallards coming to Santee in the 70's were tamies.
    Man-made ducks coming to a man-made lake, in hindsight, seems almost acceptable...