Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone have a Traeger and regrets?

RK I have the Pro 780 and would recommend buying a model that offers the "super smoke" setting, which is not included on the 780. My only complaint would be that it does not put off enough smoke but you are also paying about $300 less than what I paid. I would not go any smaller than the cook surface of the 780.

I went ahead and picked up the 780 Pro last week. I've cooked a couple of pork chops on it, some bacon wrapped gouda and pesto stuffed chicken breasts, wings, and a brisket on it already. I agree that it doesn't put out a bunch of white smoke like I'm used to. That seems to be a common review for the Traegers. My old MEC30 would pour smoke out the whole time as long as you kept feeding in the wood chips. That being said it doesn't seem to make a difference in flavor. The smoke ring on the brisket I did was beautiful despite there not being any smoke visible. The wings had distinctly more smoke flavor than the MEC produced. I still miss the smoke and I think I'm going to pick up either the A-Maze-N AMNPS Maze or the A-Maze-N 12" Tube to use while running the Traeger. Just fill with the pellets you're using, light, and close the lid. It'll generate all the smoke I need while the Traeger does it's thing.
    Living in Moncks Corner but looking forward to moving back to the West Coast in 2020 where there are more ducks and less duck hunters!! LOL

Got a 575 last year for my 20th anniversary & we use it a bunch. I haven’t eaten wings out after dialing them in on there. We do ribs, the not your mom’s meatloaf is awesome, whole chickens, Turkey breast, & did my first brisket last time home. We love it. Set it & forget it. The cook times on the Traeger app leave something to be desired thou.

RECTEC > Traeger.
    Bah! Humbug!

I’ve used my Traeger grill for several years and I love it. It’s the only way we cook wings, and it is the best way I have found to cook venison snack sticks. It was recently having a hard time reaching higher level temperatures, even with dry pellets straight out of a new bag. I put in an aftermarket thermostat kit and temperature sensor and it is now working better than new. I recently bought a Blue Rhino griddle from Lowes and between it and the Traeger I can just about cook anything on my porch