Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tracking Help - St. Matthews

Daggum man, that makes for a tough hurt on the youngin. Get him back in the saddle stat.
    Genesis 9;2

Need number for st mathews. Got a big one down and he got up and hobbled off. Taking some people back. May need a dog. Phone number would be appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by duce44 View Post
    Need number for st mathews. Got a big one down and he got up and hobbled off. Taking some people back. May need a dog. Phone number would be appreciated
    Take the dog before the people.

Quote Originally Posted by whitty View Post
    Take the dog before the people.
    That’s a pro-tip if I ever heard one. Good luck with the tracking.
    Last edited by Baggy; 10-17-2020 at 08:09 AM.

Need help finding deer. St mathews. Anyone have a dog?

Matthew will come to St Matt’s. He doesn’t charge but it’s customary to tip. I gave him $100 yesterday. He will go anywhere within a 2 hour drive of Mt Pleasant.

Matthew Canberg *UBT1 Certified* Phone: 843 452 4759 - Charleston, Berkeley, Dorchester, Colleton, Georgetown, Orangeburg. If your area is not listed call or text.

Reeltight- sitting in your shoes right now waiting on the tracker for my 10 year old. Modest 8 point that would be his best to date. Really good blood but jumped him after 50 yards. Was so confident in the sign that I had the boy leading the way doing the tracking himself and I wasn’t ready for a quick follow up. I misjudged the sign I guess. Organ tissue, medium red blood and bone fragments. Afraid he might have hit back on a strong quartering to and punched the liver. He is torn up- tears, “I don’t want him to suffer,” “if I can’t shoot better than that I am not hunting anymore,” etc. Now we are just waiting as the tracker said to back out and not mess up the scent.
    Carolina Counsel

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina Counsel View Post
    Reeltight- sitting in your shoes right now waiting on the tracker for my 10 year old. Modest 8 point that would be his best to date. Really good blood but jumped him after 50 yards. Was so confident in the sign that I had the boy leading the way doing the tracking himself and I wasn’t ready for a quick follow up. I misjudged the sign I guess. Organ tissue, medium red blood and bone fragments. Afraid he might have hit back on a strong quartering to and punched the liver. He is torn up- tears, “I don’t want him to suffer,” “if I can’t shoot better than that I am not hunting anymore,” etc. Now we are just waiting as the tracker said to back out and not mess up the scent.
    Leg
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

Bless him...wish y’all the best. Keep us posted.

I was having a talk with my 10yo this morning about controlling breathing which controls the heart beat which all helps steady the rifle. Tried to explain to him that a 1/4” barrel movement at the tree stand can make you be way off target at 40 yards and it only gets worse the further out the shot is. He didn’t understand it so I drew it on paper.

Same thing happened to my 7 year old last night. I would have bet $1000 the deer was dead. Inoperable right shoulder, blood spot and on the side as he ran a semicircle .... thought he was just in the woods out of sight. We even took pictures in the stand.. and got down and tracked blood for 150 yds and it faded. Took the dog back this morning and NADA... f n a
    Going again this afternoon
    “The price of freedom is eternal vigilance” - Thomas Jefferson

Man ol man...

I was watching something last night about deer and adrenaline when they get shot. For one it’ll make them bleed a lot at first but as the settle back down the blood can really slow if not stop. And then of course the adrenaline can make them run a country mile or two...especially if you didn’t hit a vital organ.
    Last edited by reeltight; 10-17-2020 at 12:34 PM.

If ever in doubt, back out and come back tomorrow!
    If you jump one, especially a large mature buck your chances of recovery drop almost to zero.
    Pro tip....
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Amen Cali. Won't catch me looking without scattergun as well. Eva eva.

Saw one take a 270 high shoulder and run 75 yards Thur and not a drop of blood. Should have been DRT. Had shooter not say it mule kicked I'd given up as a clean miss. Never know where they hit till U find em.
    Low country redneck who moved north

Keep us updated

You fellas with young hunters please check eye relief on scopes. If that kid is having to hunch up to get a full view it could be the culprit at crunch time. Already did my tracking for a leg shot buck with Knuck years ago due to it. 150 yards good blood then nothing. A second buck was hit low and the only reason we found him was he fell off in the river, drowned and hung up in a snag. Had to cut a 15’ hickory to fish him out. Fixed eye relief issue and no more fruitless tracking. Good luck, those first s are tough sometimes.
    Worship the LORD, not HIS creation.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

Buck went 150-200 yards. Shot was in the crease but given the strong quartering to angle he only got one lung. Bullet was under the skin in front of the hip. Shout out to Bryan in Easley for the excellent dog work. Took him 10 minutes. If anyone needs his number, shoot me a message. Happy ten year old with a European mount for his bedroom and his second deer in a week in the freezer!
    Carolina Counsel

Good deal! Glad it worked out for y’all.

Glad y’all found it
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

Glad it worked out for y’all Trey.

After a week of getting after it hard we are going home empty handed. The deer just didn’t move the first part of the week. Then little man saw a few running and chasing on Thursday. Drew blood on Friday and we couldn’t find it...even using the dog. Not much for us Saturday morning either. I know they were moving...we heard the shots but they didn’t come by us. Saturday night my 10yo didn’t see anything but me and my 8yo saw two that he just couldn’t get a shot on them. To far into the woods from where we were sitting. This morning me and my 8yo were busted early and never saw anything else and my 10yo had a little 4 pt come in behind him. Said the deer made a move towards the feeder and when he crossed the trail went into a trot and never stopped. Needless to say he could get the rifle on him. Had a good week though. Will likely be at it again next weekend.
    Last edited by reeltight; 10-18-2020 at 10:38 AM.