Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tracking Help - St. Matthews

Default Tracking Help - St. Matthews

Just got a text from reeltight. Sounds like one of his boys has connected, but they are struggling to track the deer. Looking for someone with a dog in the area. Sounds like they have some blood... Give him a text at 843-372-9105 if you can assist. I believe that's the only phone he has signal on. Thanks.

If y’all use Facebook, look up South Carolina tracking dogs And there will be someone in the area
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

try these guys:
    Judd Hughes 803-319-4555 -All areas between August, Orangeburg, and Lexington.

Matthew Canberg *UBT1 Certified* Phone: 843 452 4759 - Charleston, Berkeley, Dorchester, Colleton, Georgetown, Orangeburg. If your area is not listed call or text.

https://www.facebook.com/notes/south...0271430123229/
    Last edited by YoungBuckTX; 10-16-2020 at 09:11 AM.

Just curious, what is the going rate for someone to bring a dog?

Quote Originally Posted by kquinn View Post
    Just curious, what is the going rate for someone to bring a dog?
    I used one of those guys last year to find a kids first deer. and they usually just ask for gas money. I think it was $40
    The UBT members are usually well-trained dogs.

Some of them guys charge by the distance.

flat fee and more if they find it.

Thanks guys. Matthew is coming. Already sounds like a stand up guy. He’s making the trip from mount pleasant. This is gut wrenching. My son has had the hardest time getting his first deer. He’s had many opportunities, some taken some not and about 4 misfires with hornady ammo from two different boxes. He has missed and he has gut shot that we didn’t find for weeks. We’ve been hard at this week and here we are...a shot deer and a colorblind dad trying to track. My son has good eyes so I’m reliant on him to spot it, point it out and I’ll verify when he shows it to me.

About a 40 yard shot through the woods. Knocked him down. Kicked himself around in a circle grunting and squealing for about 5 seconds and then he got up dragging his back end and ran off into the thick. Tracked blood and guts for 35 yards or so and then poof...nothing.

i sent a guy in lone star your number

Quote Originally Posted by holdin down the fort View Post
    i sent a guy in lone star your number
    Thanks buddy. If he calls me I’ll certainly save his info in case I find myself in this position again.

Let us know how it works out. Good luck

I’m coming thru the St Mathews in about a hour. I have a dog if y’all need anymore help.

Quote Originally Posted by reeltight View Post
    about 4 misfires with hornady ammo from two different boxes. .
    I had that issue once, its not the ammo usually, it has to do with the primer seating depth and/or firing pin and it not striking it hard enough.

Hope y'all find it
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I'll shoot over a kids head in a blind or long gun one on a turkey in a heart beat. You want to kill stuff around me you gonna earn it.

Did we find the deer?
    Yup, he's crazy...

like a fox. The dude may be coming in a little too hard and crazy but 90% of everything he says is correct.

Sort of like Toof. But way smarter.
    ~Scatter Shot

Man...it wasn’t for a lack of trying. I put mor effort into that deer than any other before. The last blood we found without the dog was the last blood the dog found. Go figure. Tracked that deer for a little over 3000 yards seeing spots here and there where he was dragging his hind end. He’s definitely not dead. So the saga continues...

For peace of mind, just had him shoot the target. Put three in the area of a baseball at 60 yards so I know he can shoot. Either a bad case of buck fever or he had a brain fart and pulled the trigger vs squeezing. We are taking a break this afternoon...will regroup and try again in the morning.
    Last edited by reeltight; 10-16-2020 at 05:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by reeltight View Post
    Man...it wasn’t for a lack of trying. I put mor effort into that deer than any other before. The last blood we found without the dog was the last blood the dog found. Go figure. Tracked that deer for a little over 3000 yards seeing spots here and there where he was dragging his hind end. He’s definitely not dead. So the soggy continues...

For peace of mind, just had him shoot the target. Put three in the area of a baseball at 60 yards so I know he can shoot. Either a back case of buck fever or he had a brain fart and pulled the trigger vs squeezing. We are taking a break this afternoon...will regroup and try again in the morning.
    Dang, good luck to little man! Tell him to shake it off. Grown men at my club have worse weekends than him on the regular . Hope he can connect soon! Post up when he does.

What did the hound do at last blood? No confident line from there?

Quote Originally Posted by YoungBuckTX View Post
    What did the hound do at last blood? No confident line from there?
    This dog was a Black and Tan beagle mix and was a pretty cool mutt. He did take a confident line. The dog seemed to know where he was going and why. We did find sign the deer had been on the trail...just no more blood. Again, this deer was dragging his back side when he ran off. We found further evidence of this.

Gotcha. No blood ain't a big deal for a decent dog. Try it again tomorrow. Hate it for the boy, but when he does seal the deal he will most certainly have earned it and will appreciate it more.

Quote Originally Posted by YoungBuckTX View Post
    when he does seal the deal he will most certainly have earned it and will appreciate it more.
    Man you have no idea. Well maybe...if your memory is good you could have read this entire story over the past three years. I’m telling you...this has been tough with an abundance amount of bad luck, mishaps, and frustration. I was joking with my wife before the season started about my 8yo killing a deer before my 10yo.