Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glock 19's... Which Generation is 'Best'?

Default Glock 19's... Which Generation is 'Best'?

Which generation of the G19 do you consider to be the 'best overall' design?

Vickers apparently feels that the Gen 3 is best.

I've only used the Gen 3, so I don't know about the Gen 4 or 5, but have heard/read that the grip angle was changed to facilitate easier on-site targeting.

What's the scoop?
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Gen 3 for me.

Makes no difference to me between 3, 4 or 5.

Some people like to over complicated everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Steelin' Ducks is the KRT of suppressors and such.

Agreed a Glock is a Glock.

First pistol I ever shot was a gen 1 g19 that was my dads carry gun in the mid 1990s.

My first carry pistol was a gen 3 g19 that I bought in 2016. Trigger was a lot better out of the box. I haven’t shot any other generations, but I’ve really loved the gen 3
    Never confuse enthusiasm for capability

Whichever gen they decide to stop copying the grip angle of the Luger

The 5's are rock stars out the box with no mods done. Very very comfortable grip.

They took a 4 collapsed the grip even more and added a trigger to it and I some other do dads.

Ive got a G45MOS which is a G5. Cool gun for the wife to have extra capacity in the car.

I have a G34MOS G5 that it is a very nice full length gun, with a light on it, its very nice.

I have a G41MOS but it only comes in a G4. The grip is a tad big for me.
    Yup, he's crazy...

like a fox. The dude may be coming in a little too hard and crazy but 90% of everything he says is correct.

Sort of like Toof. But way smarter.
    ~Scatter Shot

Finger grooves suck.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelin' Ducks View Post
    Makes no difference to me between 3, 4 or 5.

Some people like to over complicated everything.
    Do you mean people who take a basic 1911 and have to change/upgrade damn near everything on the gun to their liking? I'm sure you haven't done that, though, right? You just buy them custom made to your specs?
    ~ George Washington

Hey let’s not bring 1911’s into this conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by WoodieSC View Post
    Do you mean people who take a basic 1911 and have to change/upgrade damn near everything on the gun to their liking? I'm sure you haven't done that, though, right? You just buy them custom made to your specs?
    You want to talk about Glocks or 1911s?
    Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Steelin' Ducks is the KRT of suppressors and such.

I hated Glocks. I bought a 19 Gen 4 and started shooting it. I shoot that ugly plastic gun better than anything else I have ever owned. The 43X isn’t far behind.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Quote Originally Posted by Steelin' Ducks View Post
    You want to talk about Glocks or 1911s?
    I asked a very simple question regarding the differences in the various generations of Glocks since I haven't bothered to follow any and all of the changes, other than hearing of changes to the grip angle(?), the finger molds, and the grip texture. And I know some here are quite familiar with any and all nuances of the various Glock guns, so it made sense to ask for opinions.

If my asking questions bothers you, which it has appeared to do on several occasions recently, please protect yourself and just stay off the threads, and I'll honor you by not purchasing anything from you in the future. Is that how you'd prefer it?

Thanks.

Saltydog, I used to shoot some IDPA, using both a G17 and a Browning HP. I shot the HP 2-3x's better than the G17. Skip forward a few years after not having shot much and I tried a Gen 3 G19 vs my G17 and BHP. The G19 was hands down more accurate than either of the other two. I sold the G17 and BHP and haven't messed with any of the newer ones.

I became curious about opinions of the various generations after seeing these Vicker's Glocks in the TP and ended up reading an article about Vickers where he stated he thought the Gen 3 was the best version, but the article didn't really say much other than the grip texture, which I have covered anyway. Which brought me to this posted question.
    ~ George Washington

CWPINST is offline 168 grains of assistance from a distance

About a year ago I was in Craig’s thinking about buying a Gen 5 G19. In the case was a used but like new Gen 3 G19 with the frying pan finish. It still had the copper grease in it. I could have bought the Gen 5 for less money and with 3 mags (blue label). I walked out with the Gen 3 with one mag. The frying pan finish is the best finish that they ever used IMHO. Darn near indestructible. It also has a good trigger......much better than the Gen 4’s.
    Last edited by CWPINST; 10-15-2020 at 05:20 PM.
    If it ain\'t accurate at long distance, then the fact that it is flat shooting is meaningless.

Quote Originally Posted by CWPINST View Post
    ... I walked out with the Gen 3 with one mag. The frying pan finish is the best finish that they ever used IMHO. Darn near indestructible. It also has a good trigger......much better than the Gen 4’s.
    I agree that the Gen 3 finish is darn tough, and heard that the Gen 4 wasn’t worth upgrading to, but am more curious about the Gen 5’s, which only SW338 has mentioned. I’ve, hopefully, got an almost new Gen 3 headed my way soon, so it may be a moot issue for awhile, just curious, primarily because of the grip angle.
    ~ George Washington

Froma G3-G4..I'm not sure its worth the jump. You have to do to much to make the 4 worth it, i.e trigger, connector, and springs.

A G3 to a G5 is worth it to me. The entire grip is different. I'm trying to come up with a comparison. This is over the top but a G3 grip is like grabbing the bottom or the fat part of a caution cone. Where as a G5 is like grabbing the top or the pointed part of the caution cone. There is that much difference.

A G5 will not take G3 mags. A G3 will take G5 mags, but they are loose.

The G5's as I said earlier come with a trigger that is aftermarket quality. The pull weight is extremely good to the point I didn't even put a connector in the 34. I did put one in the wife's and it is stupid light.
    Yup, he's crazy...

like a fox. The dude may be coming in a little too hard and crazy but 90% of everything he says is correct.

~Scatter Shot

Quote Originally Posted by Silentweapon338 View Post
    Froma G3-G4..I'm not sure its worth the jump. You have to do to much to make the 4 worth it, i.e trigger, connector, and springs.

A G3 to a G5 is worth it to me. The entire grip is different. I'm trying to come up with a comparison. This is over the top but a G3 grip is like grabbing the bottom or the fat part of a caution cone. Where as a G5 is like grabbing the top or the pointed part of the caution cone. There is that much difference.

A G5 will not take G3 mags. A G3 will take G5 mags, but they are loose.

The G5's as I said earlier come with a trigger that is aftermarket quality. The pull weight is extremely good to the point I didn't even put a connector in the 34. I did put one in the wife's and it is stupid light.
    Will a Gen 4 magazine work in a Gen 5?

The 5 does have a more swept back grip than even the 4's, far more aggressive than the 3's. It took me a while to get use to them, but once I did I liked it. Then I went and put the light on the front.

The required learning how to shoot all over again. But the light does come in handy especially tracking a deer.

The MOS are super nice. I like the Trijicon RMR. I have 4 of them on various Glocks. Super easy to shoot. Great bullet proof units. Your suppose to change the batteries annually I've gone 2 years before changing one battery and it was still running. There is one that you can manipulate the brightness and one that is only automatic. I prefer the non automatic, so in super bright light, i.e a flash light I can see the dot better.
    Yup, he's crazy...

~Scatter Shot

Quote Originally Posted by ADP View Post
    Will a Gen 4 magazine work in a Gen 5?
    Yes a 4 will work in a 5.

But a 5 will not work in a 19x which is a 4. But in all other 4's it will.
    The 5's have a extended lip. The 19x frame comes down to far to allow it.

That is why they came out with the G45 a year later. Everyone complained there was no difference, and they were right except for that.

I'll try and remember to snap a pic later today. I don't think I have a 19x to show you the difference, but you can see the G45 and see what I'm talking about
    Yup, he's crazy...

~Scatter Shot