Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: White oaks

Doesn’t take much frost to whack them in the upstate and a reason you might see some at one elevation and none at another. They don’t produce here in the Piedmont every year regardless. Maybe it’s several varieties being discussed here. Water oaks are far more consistent followed by red oaks imo.
    Last edited by Spur hunter; 10-15-2020 at 05:22 PM.
    Worship the LORD, not HIS creation.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

Quote Originally Posted by FBT View Post
    You have that backwards......white oak every other year, red oak family....every year. thats not the gospel, just the general rule. weather, flooding, etc...contributes a lot.
    No he is correct. White oak every year, red oaks every other.

You have that backwards......white oak every other year, red oak family....every year. thats not the gospel, just the general rule. weather, flooding, etc...contributes a lot.
    Incorrect. White Oaks typically produce every year, reds every other. Atleast that’s what Senor Shelburne learned me in Dendrology at Clemson.

Any ideas on self pollination?
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

Default White oaks

Quote Originally Posted by Spur hunter View Post
    Doesn’t take much frost to whack them in the upstate and a reason you might see some at one elevation and none at another. They don’t produce here in the Piedmont every year regardless. Maybe it’s several varieties being discussed here. Water oaks are far more consistent followed by red oaks imo.
    Same in my experiences.

None here this year but we had two bad hail storms. I have no idea if any correlations.

It seems the oaks with less competition and plenty of sun like in yards, powerline edges and road sides are more consistent.

I have a over 20 white oaks on a North face hill and only once found a tree producing in 20 years, but the soil here sucks and the tree canopies reach each other. There are 4 nice red oaks closer to the ridge that receive more sun (and pollen I assume) that produce almost every year. It takes a red oak akern 2 years to mature but they can produce acorns annually with acorns at different stages of growth. As stated white oaks are annual.

Some say deer prefer certain trees due to better tasting acorns, but usually it is tress closer to cover, in a pinch point and the best approach for the prevailing wind.
    Last edited by Bigtimber2; 10-15-2020 at 07:40 PM.

I’ve seen more on the lands I hunt this year than I can remember.
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunwannabe View Post
    Man is merely a two legged locust, devouring wild lands, developing and prostituting wildlife and fisheries under the guise of "use of the resource" for tremendous profit and moving on. Will it ever end?

I have always believed the ones in my yard only produce the way they do due to yard fertilization, lime and no competition for nutrients other than grass. Also, I lifted the canopies about 9-10 years ago to let more light in for the grass. I am not comparing the neighborhood trees to forest trees as I am sure there are potential differences in mast production due to environment. Trees in the 'hoods are probably different than trees in the woods. That being said, my yard is basically covered in oak tree canopy. I have 1 huge red oak about 32"-36" caliper that doesn't produce every year and doesn't produce a lot when it does. The others are all white oaks (2 about 15"-18" caliper, 1 about 20"-22" and 3 24"-30") that produce every year. Some years more acorns than others varying from zillions to quadrillions. Prove me wrong. I am in the foothills of NC if you want to come count.

The four white oaks in my yard produce at the same rate.....0, a little, a little, then alot. This cycle seems to be about the same over time.

I think there's something else in play besides rainfall/ irrigation.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Catdaddy; 10-16-2020 at 07:14 AM.

Acorns of trees in the red oak group take 15 months, two growing seasons, to mature and are bitter because they are high in tannic acid. White oak acorns are less bitter and mature in three months, one growing season (Figure 5). ... However, in both groups, acorn production remains very unpredictable from year to year.

Yall are stupid. Im right. I also had shaggy, i mean shelbourne.
    \"Go to Know\"

Acorns of trees in the red oak group take 15 months, two growing seasons, to mature and are bitter because they are high in tannic acid. White oak acorns are less bitter and mature in three months, one growing season (Figure 5). ... However, in both groups, acorn production remains very unpredictable from year to year.

Thank you for taking on the fight for me. I dealt with enough stupid yesterday to put any effort into it.

“ However, in both groups, acorn production remains very unpredictable from year to year.”
    Boy am I glad we got all that cleared up.
    Worship the LORD, not HIS creation.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

Ive always noticed the acorns to be as FBT stated, but thats just my own observations

Looks like we may have a Clemson forestry department show down brewing
    I am a nobody, that met somebody, that can save anybody.

You’re observations would be correct jimbo....and id like to add that I’d be happy to offer continuing Ed forestry classes on here for anyone interested, especially surveyors from pelzer. Free of charge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    \"Go to Know\"

Quote Originally Posted by quack head 11 View Post
    Looks like we may have a Clemson forestry department show down brewing

"Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

at Bigbrother and FBT
    I am a nobody, that met somebody, that can save anybody.