Thread: Last Day

Default Last Day

It’s closing day on the zone where I’ve been hinting across the street. I can no believe the run of hot weather that we’ve had since the snowfall on Sept 8. I’ve been in there a couple of times since then, but I’ve only seen a racked buck once running across an alfalfa field at 0900 on one of the only cool mornings. My camera hasn’t picked up much activity at all...until yesterday...when I decided not to go and save my energy and save the spot for one last hoorah today. At 3::15 ish, at least two bucks walked where I thought they might...one was a big 10 that looks to be pushing mid 130s. Camera has been catching a lot of does and at least two more bucks moving in there from that time yesterday through 30 minutes ago. Wind is flipping RIPPING, so I’m going in for an all day sit...going to push it and try to get as close to travel corridor as possible with wind hopefully in blowing parallel to the deer...risky, but they play the wind in there like Eddie Van Halen played his axe, and there is no place to hunt where I have wind in my face that deer will come by within range. Just figured out yesterday that I can shoot a whitetail doe, so I may opt for that if I get a quality, close shot on a doe. Wasn’t going to do a “live from the stand” thread today due to Karma, but then I realized that I was doing live updates the day I got the shot on the big boy. Hopefully this one will turn out with a happier ending! Stay tuned for some good pics of beautiful land at minimum.
    “I can’t wait ‘till I’m grown” is the stupidest @!#* I ever said!

Good luck!!
    Quote Originally Posted by trkykilr View Post
    A man learns a lot about himself in a thicket with a big hog. That dog already knows all he needs to know about himself.

;
    Pic of the toad and his Buddy tat were in here yesterday. After listening to 50+ mph winds howl all night and into my wake up time, I’ve been blessed with light winds, cloud cover, cooler than forecast temps, and some rain today. Got called in at 0930, so I slipped out and got er done at the hospital, and it rained from when I was walking out till I was walking back in. Wind here is maddening, because despite very little elevation changes and sporadic olive trees, it still swirls and eddys in here. It’s basically pretty good most of the time, but I get hit on the back of the neck every now and then. I have skunk cover scent out, and I’m ascent free as possible...which ain’t scent free...makes me want to possibly try the ozonics for this ground hunting in close quarters. Anyhoo...can’t control that aspect, so I’m going to just hunker down, be still, and hope for a big dose of luck with the wind. If I don’t see a deer, this is and has been a beautiful, cool, fly-free sit, andIm loving it.
    Last edited by WhitewaterDuck; 10-14-2020 at 01:48 PM.

My view of the world today!
    ;
    Last edited by WhitewaterDuck; 10-14-2020 at 01:55 PM.

Well, I was a day late and a dollar short, but it was an awesome sit. I had an old mulie doe come in to 3 yards and eat off the tree I was hiding in...could hear her teeth clicking when she'd chew her food down to nothing then watch the peristalsis waves push it to her stomach when she swallowed. Of course, the camera was in a spot where video sucked at best. I did video two other mulie does that posed for 18 yard shots before walking off. I can't see it well on the youtube video, but I can see it fairly well on my phone...when these deer walk out there and look away then back at me, three large bodied deer walk from left to right in a small depression in the wide open about 150 yards behind them. I'm thinking that these three deer are the three bucks that are still cruising around there together, but I can't get it large enough to see for sure, so if anyone with tech savy can zoom in enough without losing focus to see, please let me know...would be a big help in trying to figure out how and why the whitetails move where they move when they move through there.