Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Full Circle

Default Full Circle

I wrote and posted this on another site back in June 30, 2005. I still believe it.

We almost lost duck hunting during the heyday of market gunning. The problem was simply that the socioeconomic conditions of the time created a set of circumstances where the livelihood of an increasing number of men depended on killing ducks. Without a major change in the attitude of those involved this would have led to only one natural conclusion: the total decimation of waterfowl populations. Thankfully men like George 'Bird' Grinnell and others started speaking out against what was considered a totally acceptable and honorable way to make a living. The movement to create laws around waterfowling was very unpopular at first. I am sure that many men actually came to blows over disagreements about limit laws and the open-market selling of waterfowl. Eventually though, cooler heads prevailed and while market gunning as a way of life has disappeared, duck hunting as a sport has survived.

Fast forward 100 years: Once again socioeconomic conditions have created a situation where there are a large number of families whose livelihoods depend on ducks being killed. The situation puts tremendous political pressure on those that make the season frameworks to have the longest possible seasons with the highest possible daily bag limits. As the need for shorter seasons and lower bag limits becomes more obvious, those who depend on duck hunting for a living will get more creative about how to continue exploiting the resource and more desperate about implementing these 'solutions'. Once again it is a condition that only has one possible outcome: the total decimation of waterfowl populations to the point no one can make a living helping themselves or others kill ducks.

At best, losing of the ability to make a living related to duck hunting can only be delayed not prevented. Unfortunately, the cost of this delay is the loss of duck hunting as a sport.

I don't fault any man who fiercely protects his family and his ability to put food on his family's table. But, when conditions exists where a man has to choose between feeding his family and ruining the sport of duck hunting, he will always choose to feed his family.

Duck hunting can only survive as a sport, not as a way of making a living.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

Well said RH. The entire spectrum changes when it becomes a revenue producing opportunity. The western portion of Clarendon county is a prime local example. It has changed mainly in the name of “youth waterfowling”, only to become a multi million dollar industry in the last 20 years.
    U serious Clark?

Reminds me of the punt guns that market hunters used back in the day. 8' long with a 2" bore.
    A couple of fellas hunting together could wipe out hundreds of birds at a time.

This is has been my argument for a coyote bounty. Things don’t get much attention unless there is a monetary incentive. Game populations are suffering severely in sc due to coyotes. Especially small game. The lack of game is going to drive some hunters away from the sport. A bounty is the only solution to this new apex predator in our state.

This is has been my argument for a coyote bounty. Things don’t get much attention unless there is a monetary incentive. Game populations are suffering severely in sc due to coyotes. Especially small game. The lack of game is going to drive some hunters away from the sport. A bounty is the only solution to this new apex predator in our state.

A coyote bounty will do nothing but increase the number of coyotes.
    When it comes your time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song and die like a hero going home. -Tecumseh-

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    You're also one of select few clemings with sense.

Default Full Circle

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbitman09 View Post
    You already trap coyotes you may just want to be paid and another failed government program.

Get with Sen Goldfinch down in Georgetown he is a Citadel guy and wants a bounty.
    Last edited by Bigtimber2; 01-19-2021 at 08:27 AM.

Great post RH, we must change with the times and conditions- a prime reason that the legislators shouldn't be setting seasons and limits.

Speaking of yotes- I killed 4 yotes deer hunting this year, every one I saw, how many did ya'll kill ?

I saw 2 and killed 2.
    When it comes your time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song and die like a hero going home. -Tecumseh-

I don't like the bounty idea because of the old adage - if you want more of something subsidize it...

I do like the tag-and-lottery approach where some number of coyotes are caught, tagged and released. Send $50 to everyone that kills a tagged coyote. Then put everybody that submits a tag into a a lottery for a rifle or atv or private Cat I duck hunt or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Habit View Post
    Great post RH, we must change with the times and conditions- a prime reason that the legislators shouldn't be setting seasons and limits.

Speaking of yotes- I killed 4 yotes deer hunting this year, every one I saw, how many did ya'll kill ?
    Trying my hand at trapping this off season.
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

I killed 8 coyotes out the deer stand this year... 7 from the same stand. Missed a couple too between 300 and 400. Gonna get back on them hard after duck season. Need to thin out the coon heard over there as well. The duck and turkey population has really suffered.

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberhead* View Post
    I don't like the bounty idea because of the old adage - if you want more of something subsidize it...

I do like the tag-and-lottery approach where some number of coyotes are caught, tagged and released. Send $50 to everyone that kills a tagged coyote. Then put everybody that submits a tag into a a lottery for a rifle or atv or private Cat I duck hunt or something.
    I also believe this is the way to go.

Only one coyote pic in late September here. None since on two separate tracts. I hope it last.

Going back to the SDH forum in the 90's we have preached about the evils of whoring out the resource. Is there any finer point that could be made than when Frost Waterfowl Trust was bought and moved from Wisconsin to Georgetown, SC, effectively destroying everything that Jack Frost worked to build with the stroke of a check?

Quote Originally Posted by Bigtimber2 View Post
    Only one coyote pic in late September here. None since on two separate tracts. I hope it last.
    I’ve got recent pics of coyotes in the corn eating with the deer like they are buddies.

We should combine ideas and make the mallard releasers pay a $10/bird bounty on every tamie shot outside of his release area.

Why would someone catch a coyote and then turn loose with the hope someone kills it again? You accomplished your goal with the first part.
    Sea Ark 1542 w/ Yamaha 40
    Xpress 16 w/ 50 Hammer
    War Eagle 15 w/ 30 Hammer

--------------------------------------------------

"Sometimes you gotta grab the bull by the horns and the women by the tits and take charge in your life" - General Patton

"I'm very drunk and I intend on getting still drunker before this evening's over."
    - Rhett Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Buckin Bronco View Post
    Why would someone catch a coyote and then turn loose with the hope someone kills it again? You accomplished your goal with the first part.
    I'll give you a few minutes on this one. I'll be back after lunch.