Thread: HDPE Trailer Slides

Default HDPE Trailer Slides

I have a 1756 Alweld with a 90/65 Yamaha jet sitting on a Wesco trailer with carpeted bunks. Some of the places I launch are pretty shallow so getting the trailer in deep enough to launch is hard many times. Does anyone have experience with the HDPE bunk covers and does it make it that much easier to push a boat off a trailer and winch it back on? Would rollers be better.?

I put those things on a Float On I had with my '95 Mako 262. I learned real quick to leave it hooked to the winch when backing down a ramp as it slid off and rode the skegs down into the water. You might not have that issue with a lightweight aluminum boat though.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Those bunks and silicon spray will put your boat on the concrete if you don't have the winch hooked up when backing down or pulling up from the ramp. They'd make a big difference for you.

Go buy some liquid rollers and put it on. That or wax.

Or take the carpet off the bunks and GatorGlide the bunks and the bottom of the boat.

I'll say it again in case you didn't pick up on it above.... leave the boat hooked until you're in the water. A buddy had these on his jet in TN.

I think I'll do the HDPE slides first , if that's not enough I'll use some type pf liquid rollers silicon spray and if that doesn't get me where I want to be I'll Gator Glide the bunks. And ... I'll make sure to keep the winch on it until it's in the water.

Coincidentally, I just put HDPE on my flats boat trailer and got to try launching it yesterday. I backed down to my normal depth. This depth would have still made it difficult to motor the boat off the trailer when I had the worn bunk carpet. Yesterday, I thought I was going to have to pull up to get the winch rope off because the boat was sliding back as I was loosening the winch. I held onto the boat with one hand and unclipped the hook and had to quickly jump in the boat because it was launching. When I got back to the landing, I had to leave the engine in gear while I clipped on the bow hook. The boat wouldn't stay on the trailer without help from the engine. Those bunks are slick!

Quote Originally Posted by SilverFox View Post
    I'll say it again in case you didn't pick up on it above.... leave the boat hooked until you're in the water. A buddy had these on his jet in TN.
    And I’ll say it yet again because it can’t be said enough.

I heard you need to leave the winch hooked up?
    Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Steelin' Ducks is the KRT of suppressors and such.

Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    And I’ll say it yet again because it can’t be said enough.
    I warned you when you bought the boat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    "The real reason fish jump - they don't have a middle finger!"

You know why you warned me?

Because it can’t be said enough.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverFox View Post
    I'll say it again in case you didn't pick up on it above.... leave the boat hooked until you're in the water.
    I'll go a step farther and recommend that you unhook the winch after you're in the boat and have the engine warmed up. It will leave without you once the strap is removed.

Dang I would never have the winch unhooked moving up or down the ramp no matter what bunks I have. Is this not common practice?

Quote Originally Posted by ColumbiaCornbread View Post
    Dang I would never have the winch unhooked moving up or down the ramp no matter what bunks I have. Is this not common practice?
    It's probably best practice to hook the winch cable but it depends on the trailer and the ramp angle for me. I have no concern about my boat slipping off on two of my trailers, well, one of my trailers now that I upgraded one with the HDPE bunks. Especially when my wife is backing the trailer down, I get her to pull up and out of the way as soon as I hit the winch post. I'll be tilting up the engine on the way up the ramp. The carpeted bunks have plenty of grip for my comfort.

Fair enough. I don't frequent crazy busy boat landings either so your method makes alot of since in that scenario.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Rotten boards 2 years ago 15' aluminum...new treated lumber then these.....they make a flat landing a breeze.....you can thank me by PMing how you did at Cherry Grove.
    I don't think it was mentioned above but you will probably want to leave the cable hooked up.

Went to the lake this morning by myself, unloaded the boat and ended up getting wet to about mid calf. Beached the boat pulled the trailer out and installed the Ironwood Pacific E-Z trailer slides on the bunks, over the carpet. These were the ones recommended by Big Timber .....wow what a difference. The advice of leaving the winch attached until the boat is in the water is sound! After loading , I pulled up the ramp a bit ,backed off the winch and the boat started sliding on its own and it was dang near effortless winching it back into place. These things are going to make launching and loading by myself and not getting wet a breeze. Thanks to everyone for the help and advice.