Thread: offshore-nearshore questions

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    go with saltydog
    and
    dont listen to Bog

got it?
    This

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Conservation means the wise use of the earth and its resources for the lasting good of men. -Gifford Pinchot

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

I got a spot you could literally catch as many trigger fish as you want. Wilk has been there. It hasn’t produced well the last few times I’ve been out.

Quote Originally Posted by b35w View Post
    Im gonna try the bucktail trick Friday. I've jigged them but never really casted and dragged.
    drag it like a carolina rig for bass, also lift and swim it 2 or 3 feet and let it hit bottom again- best hold the rod tight if using braid- a big grouper will snatch it out your hands

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Habit View Post
    drag it like a carolina rig for bass, also lift and swim it 2 or 3 feet and let it hit bottom again- best hold the rod tight if using braid- a big grouper will snatch it out your hands
    Can’t wait!

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Habit View Post
    5 or 6 oz?

I got a spot you could literally catch as many trigger fish as you want. Wilk has been there. It hasn’t produced well the last few times I’ve been out.

Contrary to popular belief, schools of bottom fish move around an awful lot between ledges and hard bottom.

Just because you arent catching triggerfish on your trusty "trigger spot" could be because they have moved 300 yards away on another ledge.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

5 or 6 oz?

That depends on the tide cycle.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

My small bucktails are 6 oz ,my big ones are 10 and 12

5 or 6 oz?

6oz is what I normally use in 85'+ on a bucktail, most of the time I tip it with a filet or a squid strip, current can be pretty strong up this way. We rarely use whole squid anymore, the strips are a much hardier bait and less prone to getting cleaned off by the trash fish. Word of caution on a Spro Bucktail through, don't have the drag locked down. The Gamakatsu hooks they use in those things are shit, great action and look but the hooks will snap or straighten really easily. Another rig we've used to great success this year is a swivel tied to the main line, egg sinker on a short section of flouro, Uni to Uni in a 18-24" mono leader with a either a single 6/0 or tandem 6/0 hook, fishing cut or live bait (it's out-fished a chicken rig all year on everything), a kind of modified carolina rig.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Lulz, Wilk's done sold those numbers to his buddy's at the fish house.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    Lulz, Wilk's done sold those numbers to his buddy's at the fish house.
    Lol

Kings are in close this time of year, live bait is best but have caught a ton of them on Stretch 20's or
    buy a box of cigar minnow or small ballyhoo and put em on a king rig and troll as slow as you can go
    Last edited by ecu1984; 10-13-2020 at 03:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Kings are in close this time of year, live bait is best but have caught a ton of them on Stretch 20's or
    buy a box of cigar minnow or small ballyhoo and put em on a king rig and troll as slow as you can go
    If you can throw a taco with a cast net, you can get bait now. Even better than the cigars are spanish sardines if you can find them, just a little tougher. Cigars are just mush after just a little while and little need to got to the trouble of brining them. If you get anchored on a piece of bottom structure, toss something out with a duster or king rig and put it in the king holder, the way they've been on the wrecks it shouldn't take long. Then you can spend time catching stuff that actually tastes good while you wait on a bite. We were putting as many kings on the deck as the guys targeting them all day this way a month or so ago.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post
    If you can throw a taco with a cast net, you can get bait now. Even better than the cigars are spanish sardines if you can find them, just a little tougher. Cigars are just mush after just a little while and little need to got to the trouble of brining them. If you get anchored on a piece of bottom structure, toss something out with a duster or king rig and put it in the king holder, the way they've been on the wrecks it shouldn't take long. Then you can spend time catching stuff that actually tastes good while you wait on a bite. We were putting as many kings on the deck as the guys targeting them all day this way a month or so ago.
    Everything he said. I wouldn't hit a hog in the ass for a King but folks/guests will perk up when that rod starts screaming every time.
    I am about limiting myself now to chasing Cobia up and down the beach in May/June, dolphin and grouper. All my favorite to catch and eat

it's been a hot minute since someone has brought me, or I've caught some triggers.. and I'm more affable than 2th, kinda

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    it's been a hot minute since someone has brought me, or I've caught some triggers.. and I'm more affable than 2th, kinda
    Glenn has plenty, I saw him catch them.

I don't trust him. he'd get offshore, and be all out of whack being above the water line and try to drown me in a panic

I'd rather stubb my pinky toe first thing in the morning than to King fish on purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by FishSticker View Post
    I'd rather stubb my pinky toe first thing in the morning than to King fish on purpose.
    I don’t know, sometimes you just have to bust out the jorts and gold chains and go get some mercury missiles. Is it 2 stroke smoke or is it Marlboro red smoke? Only those downwind of your bayliner trophy can smell to know.

Quote Originally Posted by FishSticker View Post
    agreed.