Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Rover 109 Projects

Quote Originally Posted by Steelin' Ducks View Post
    They threads kinda make me want one. I need a beater run around truck to mess with.
    I could find you one.

I think I mentioned earlier that the harmonic balancer had a groove in it and that is what was causing the oil leak on the front. I ordered a new harmonic balancer and because it was bigger than what I was replacing, I needed a new timing tab as well.

Apparently older SBC's just pressed on the balancer which is what this motor had. I wanted a bolt in mine to make sure it was never unintentionally coming off. That means drilling and tapping the crank while it's installed. I found this neat little guide tool that would allow me to stay on center and not get off one way or the other.

It took me about two hours to drill the crank with an ass load of cutting oil and several drill batteries. This morning I tapped it and installed a nice ARP bolt to ensure it never comes off accidentally.

I pretty much got everything buttoned back up this afternoon and got it started and running.

Two issues still..........the pulley mounted to the balancer is not quiet round and I noticed it wobbles and the %%*&^%!!! front oil pan gasket is leaking. I installed a four piece kit that has two cork gaskets on the sides and two rubber gaskets front and back. Front one installed fine, but for whatever reason leaks.

I dropped the oil pan and am re-grouping on my approach.

Anyway, not a huge deal.

I got a call Friday that my new springs are in production and hopefully ship next week. That's next after fixing this last leak.

Man that is great work. Thank you for sharing.

I got my custom leaf springs a few weeks ago from Alcan and worked over a few weekends to get them installed (New bushings, Bolts and U-bolts. It was honestly a Mother F'r......but I am pretty close to being finished. I have a friend with a lift not far from my house and he has been super generous to let me come in on Sunday's and use it.

The springs are basically stock length, but are arched so that they have a 2" lift and take into account the weight of the truck better.
    Anyway, they are on and really lifted it up quite a bit. The stance is pretty sweet and the tires look much better than they did jammed in the wheel well.

It has created a new set of challenges which I anticipated, but need to deal with over the next couple of weeks.

- The front shocks are too short and I had to take them off. I need four new shocks that are much longer.

- The driveshaft is a little short. It's basically fully extended and will install ok, but should be a little longer.

That’s where y’all were headed off to this morning.

Looking good!

Drive it out Thanksgiving morning and let's get some dirt and blood on it

Quote Originally Posted by JOHNSON View Post
    That’s where y’all were headed off to this morning.

Yes, I should of grabbed your ass so you could help.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    Drive it out Thanksgiving morning and let's get some dirt and blood on it
    I really need shocks and a front drive shaft figured out before I drive it to bramblewood. Might be a post thanksgiving day trip unfortunately.

Ugh

I really need shocks and a front drive shaft figured out before I drive it to bramblewood. Might be a post thanksgiving day trip unfortunately.[/QUOTE]

There went Ralph's Christmas Card!

Do you have a recommendation for a mechanic in the Camden area that can work on these things? Obviously you are doing 99% of that work yourself. We’ve got an old D90 on the farm that will need some work after duck season. Trying to pin down a reputable mechanic that knows Land Rovers.

Sorry to Hijack...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Conservation means the wise use of the earth and its resources for the lasting good of men. -Gifford Pinchot

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

Quote Originally Posted by Chessbay View Post
    Yes, I should of grabbed your ass so you could help.

I really need shocks and a front drive shaft figured out before I drive it to bramblewood. Might be a post thanksgiving day trip unfortunately.
    I can only take so much cigar smoke, but I will turn a wrench anytime.

Quote Originally Posted by Quackhead22 View Post
    Do you have a recommendation for a mechanic in the Camden area that can work on these things? Obviously you are doing 99% of that work yourself. We’ve got an old D90 on the farm that will need some work after duck season. Trying to pin down a reputable mechanic that knows Land Rovers.

Sorry to Hijack...

I know a guy with a D90. I’ll ask who he has used, he’s got a guy that has worked on it. It’s a swamp rover
    Literally translated to, "I smell like Scotch and Kodiak".
    "Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees"- Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

Looks awesome Chessbay
    "Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees"- Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by smitch320 View Post
    I know a guy with a D90. I’ll ask who he has used, he’s got a guy that has worked on it. It’s a swamp rover
    Ours is most definitely a swamp rover haha we maybe talking about the same vehicle

Conservation means the wise use of the earth and its resources for the lasting good of men. -Gifford Pinchot

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

Ours is most definitely a swamp rover haha we maybe talking about the same vehicle

I know yours too, this one is identical but in a different swamp haha

Sorry to Hijack...

What year is your 90? NAS?

I don’t really know, but I would probably try Speciaty Sports Cars first.......he works on most imports(BMW, Mercedes, etc) and would be the first place I’d check. I think his name is Chris, but Ralph can probably confirm.

I’d probably just put it on a trailer and take it over to Kevin. They know their way around a Rover.

Quote Originally Posted by JOHNSON View Post
    I can only take so much cigar smoke, but I will turn a wrench anytime.

Preach.....He never puts it down.

Man.. I don't know. All of my stuff used to go to Rodger when he was open, and alive. He was right behind my office, and I changed oil there in high school for a couple summers. If I don't get KRT, JP gets it.. But I basically own new Toyotas now. I bought my first little Toyota 4x4 from JP

if you're happy, I'm happy chessbay!
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Been a little while, but finished some stuff up and started some new stuff.

Wrapped up the springs and shocks........it was a real mother fucker, but it's done. I ended up with Procomp shocks which ride great and they were very helpful trying to figure out what would work with my springs. I jacked the truck up on a lift and measured the compressed and extended lengths and ordered based on that range. Lifting the truck like I did created several other issues, but I was able to work through them. I had to re-work the exhaust in the front because of driveshaft clearance issues and I also needed to lengthen the driveshaft because it was too short. It is 2" shaft and Fleetpride had it in stock and hooked me up. Installed extended bump stops too.

Next up was a Holley Sniper EFI kit and it has totally transformed the engine. Throttle response is stupid and the truck drives amazing.

Then a Warn winch.......it's a 5687 which is a little earlier than the 8274.I bought a mounting plate from Warn and it worked pretty well. I ended up having to drill new mounting points, but it was pretty straightforward. It is controlled with cables that mount in the cab of the truck. I have not finished with them and will save them for another day.

Lastly, I picked up this trailer. I was lucky enough to pick this up from from a friend that has now passed away. He loved Rovers and built this trailer to pull behind his Series III. His mind always ran all over the place with ideas and somehow he created this monster. The cage on the top is pretty funny and will likely come off, but the craftsmanship of it is quite astounding. I think the tubes are to carry lawn equipment and the cage has gates on the sides and back to load it. He made the tailgate from scratch and there are two ramps that slide out the bottom of the trailer to load things in and out. This style trailer is pretty popular in the Rover community.

Anyway, that's where I am today.