Thread: Peters Heavy 8 hulls?

Default Peters Heavy 8 hulls?

Got 2/3 of a bucket full of blue Peters hulls marked "Heavy 8". Got em from willk when I acquired an old MEC press from him a while back. Need to nail down a recipe for 'em and get to crankin. I've done some googling and was left a little confused. Wanted to double check with the brain trust.

Research shows that there were a few variants of Peters blue hulls, depending on when it was purchased. Remington Peters is stamped on the brass, and they're the real brass base as a magnet doesn't stick to anything but the primer. Think I read where some were brass plated steel but that's not what I have here. Pretty sure what I have is the real namesake "blue magic", but could be wrong. Research also stated the any old Remington STS/Gun Club load works.

I got Claybuster and WAA12 wads, and e3, clays and blue dot for powders. Was hoping to find a recipe that used some of what I already had, but not a issue if I gotta buy more components. I'm all ears if y'all got any tried and true recipes for these hulls. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by willyworm; 10-12-2020 at 09:58 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Pics

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."

Recommend you post this on the Shotgun World reloading forum. There's bound to be plenty of folks who have reloaded the old blue hulls.

I grew up reloading those.
    1 1/8 shot
    3 dram
    Rxp wads

Actually, if you'll do a search on SGW, you'll find some good info as well as several recipes...

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/view...?f=13&t=291439

https://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/vie...p?f=13&t=39543

I reloaded thousands of those with no. 5 shot.

That's a duck load for the ages right there.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

CWPINST is offline 168 grains of assistance from a distance

That is the Peters Blue Magic hull and is the best hull ever made for reloading IMHO. You can load it many times. The data is pretty close to the STS hull but not exactly the same. I wish I had more of them.
    If it ain\'t accurate at long distance, then the fact that it is flat shooting is meaningless.

Bumping this back up for a follow on question to someone who hopefully knows more than I. As I went and shot some of these blue hulls yesterday, it reminded me to look for more to beef up my stock. As I went thru the entire bucket I got from willk there were a few casualties of split hulls and folding up the sidewall. Some unavoidable, others result from not taking my time. Either way...

Are the blue Peters hulls with the white writing long ways down the side of the hull and the big "7 1/2" stamped on it the same as the ones that simply have the black letters "Peters Heavy-8" near the base?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]