Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What to look for in an ar pistol

That is the sole reason why I got suppressors for both of my ARs. They are technically for home defense (back up to an M4) if the poop contacts the fan. God forbid it ever comes down to that, but I could not imagine firing any AR in a house w/o a suppressor.

Definitely leaning more towards the 9mm now. Any good recommendations on a decent sight and laser/flashlight combo?

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

A 10.5” 5.56 is loud, I keep either a 16” or 14.7” 5.56 in each vehicle and never had any trouble maneuvering them inside the cab. They’ve killed a few coyotes out the truck window without deafening me. A 64 grain gold dot will put a hurting on a coyote.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin4 View Post
    Definitely leaning more towards the 9mm now. Any good recommendations on a decent sight and laser/flashlight combo?

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
    I have been happy with an eotech sight and streamlight TLR-1 with pressure switch on my 556

Right now it sucks to find ammo in general and we are all kind of forced to buy whatever is around.
    I am messing around with a PSA 300 BO pistol right now and am pretty happy with it but forced to buy whatever ammo is available vs finding what is best for the rifle.

Ideally, I will run it suppressed with sub sonics and it is quieter than a pellet gun with ballistics equivalent to a .45.
    Any SBR or pistol rifle caliber will ring your bell without ear protection. I am speaking from experience shooting outdoors and would only imagine inside would completely deafen you and likely temporarily blind you in low light conditions.

I would be interested to hear from LEO on this site or others who have practiced shooting in low light conditions and or tight quarters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ruger PC carbine may be worth a look. Chambered in 9mm, will accept Glock mags and is takedown with 16" barrel. It's not an AR platform but can be had with adjustable stock in certain models.

Quote Originally Posted by Moose843 View Post
    Just know that if you use a barrel shorter than 16", it will be a pistol. And you can't put a stock on it, you have to use a pistol brace. And unless you plan on spending another $150 or so, braces are not shoulder friendly. And with the recent ATF ruling, they may be getting ready to rule all braces illegal. Which means you will have to spend another "$200 for the SBR tax stamp.
    Well now you are opening a whole other can of worms.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Steelin' Ducks is the KRT of suppressors and such.

In SC, in a car, a pistol has to be either in a closed glove box, console or trunk. If you have a CCW, I believe it can be in one of those places or on your person concealed. A rifle can be anywhere. That's a reason for an SBR.

Going through the hassle of getting an NFA item stolen from your truck is a reason not to have an SBR as a truck gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    In SC, in a car, a pistol has to be either in a closed glove box, console or trunk. If you have a CCW, I believe it can be in one of those places or on your person concealed. A rifle can be anywhere. That's a reason for an SBR.

Going through the hassle of getting an NFA item stolen from your truck is a reason not to have an SBR as a truck gun.
    How is It any more of a hassle than having a title 1 firearm stolen from your truck? Man you can’t live in fear. If an SBR is the ideal truck gun and you feel a truck gun is a tool you need....then roll with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    In SC, in a car, a pistol has to be either in a closed glove box, console or trunk. If you have a CCW, I believe it can be in one of those places or on your person concealed. A rifle can be anywhere......
    I am pretty sure In SC, with a CWP, a pistol can be anywhere in the vehicle except on your dash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Steelin' Ducks View Post
    How is It any more of a hassle than having a title 1 firearm stolen from your truck? Man you can’t live in fear. If an SBR is the ideal truck gun and you feel a truck gun is a tool you need....then roll with it.
    So what defines an SBR vs an AR pistol? Paper work?
    Sea Ark 1542 w/ Yamaha 40
    Xpress 16 w/ 50 Hammer
    War Eagle 15 w/ 30 Hammer

--------------------------------------------------

"Sometimes you gotta grab the bull by the horns and the women by the tits and take charge in your life" - General Patton

"I'm very drunk and I intend on getting still drunker before this evening's over."
    - Rhett Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Buckin Bronco View Post
    So what defines an SBR vs an AR pistol? Paper work?
    I’ll let Steelin answer, but it’s very important you know the difference. Like, potentially go to prison, important.

SBR= Rifle with less than 16" barrel.

Pistol= Any length barrel and no rifle stock.

that's the simple answer
    Last edited by Steelin' Ducks; 10-12-2020 at 10:44 AM.

So can I own an SBR without any type of permit? Like go walk into PSA today and walk out with one?
    Sea Ark 1542 w/ Yamaha 40
    Xpress 16 w/ 50 Hammer
    War Eagle 15 w/ 30 Hammer

--------------------------------------------------

"Sometimes you gotta grab the bull by the horns and the women by the tits and take charge in your life" - General Patton

"I'm very drunk and I intend on getting still drunker before this evening's over."
    - Rhett Butler

So can I own an SBR without any type of permit? Like go walk into PSA today and walk out with one?
    No. Its an NFA item. You get to pay Uncle Sam a tax of $200 for the privilege to own one. Then you wait for 6-12 months just like a suppressor.

Yes and no. You cannot buy an sbr off the rack without the tax stamp. You can buy a pistol or kit and then buy a stock and put it together at home.

Also you have to basically ask permission to take your SBR out of state. Something to consider when comparing one to an ar pistol.

You also can’t have a vertical fore grip on a pistol, but you can on a firearm or SBR

It's a shame the non GI 30 Carbine rifles aren't better- I have a GI(Inland from 1943) and it checks all the boxes, short and handy, powerful enough to do the job, no recoil and can be shot without deafening yourself. I would never feel under gunned with one out to 150 yards, and you can get ammo for them. The soft point ammo does a great job on hogs and deer.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelin' Ducks View Post
    SBR= Rifle with less than 16" barrel.

Pistol= Any length barrel and no rifle stock.

that's the simple answer
    What is the cliff note version for a PA-9 and brace? Is a Blade still legal? "Friend" has a PA-9 lower that needs to get finished out....

has anyone mentioned online reviews or customer service?
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.