Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What to look for in an ar pistol

Default What to look for in an ar pistol

School me. I'm looking for a truck gun. Something fun to plink with and also dispatch the occasional hog or coyote. What do I need to look for?

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

556 or 9mm? The side folding adaptors are nice. But were are you going to keep it? Assuming you are in SC... I would rather have a rifle simply due to the pistol laws here in SC.

Of course I'm in favor of using Grey Man Tactical Molle Panels on the seat back for storage.

6756A077-1ECE-49A6-BA95-6CD6B0CC2B2A_4_5005_c.jpeg
    Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Steelin' Ducks is the KRT of suppressors and such.

I'm in georgia. I'm open to different calibers. I've read 300 blk is a good caliber as well. I'll mainly be looking for used or good deals. This is intended to be a cheaper beater gun. I know I'll get the go be cheap somewhere else, but that carrying system probably costs more than the truck it would be going in. Goals though.

Last edited by Colin4; 10-11-2020 at 05:00 PM.

I built one from PSA a few months ago. Wait till daily deals. I wouldn’t do .300 for a “beater” gun. Do a 10.5” barrel 5.56 and buy a bunch of .223’s. The problem isn’t finding the parts right now, it’s finding ammo.
    Last edited by M.R.Ducks; 10-11-2020 at 05:14 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by squatty View Post
    R. Not
    So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live in him, rooted and built up in him, strengthened in the faith as you were taught, and overflowing with thankfulness. —Colossians 2:6–7

Here’s the one I built, ignore that sling. Had it laying around and wondered how I’d like it, I didn’t. 4CF1E7AF-7447-4868-AF5D-C27EBAF61FE5.jpg
    R. Not
    So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live in him, rooted and built up in him, strengthened in the faith as you were taught, and overflowing with thankfulness. —Colossians 2:6–7

PSA has weekend deals today for a 10.5 inch kit for $499 (looks like the one pictured above) with iron sites and a 7.5 kit with no sites for $459. Start with a stripped lower and I dont think you will find a used one for cheaper than that.
    A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.

Theodore Roosevelt; 26th president of US (1858 - 1919)

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud

Is a 10.5" the optional length for 556? I currently have plenty of 9mm for pistols but I don't have .556 as a caliber yet. I've seen some that accept glock mags I think? I have a few of those laying around. Keep the opinions coming.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin4 View Post
    Is a 10.5" the optional length for 556? I currently have plenty of 9mm for pistols but I don't have .556 as a caliber yet. I've seen some that accept glock mags I think? I have a few of those laying around. Keep the opinions coming.

Optimal?

Depends on how far away you want to shoot a hog or coyote.
    Last edited by wskinner; 10-11-2020 at 05:36 PM.

Well I don't have a can so the 7.5 will probably be a little too loud. When not in the truck it would be used for home defense. I'm not looking to do competition shooting. I'd probably put a red dot on it and roll.

Just built this today. 5.56 with 10.5 barrel

567C58DE-31A3-43FE-A72A-0D5723894C6C.jpg

A 10.5” barrel is a good compromise.

Like mentioned earlier check out the PSA pistol kits and get a stripped lower to go along with it.

Something like this: https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-...mbus-rear.html

You’d be set up for around $600 all said and done.

Steelin posts some fine pistols in the trading post frequently. Check them out unless you like tinkering.
    R. Not

I personally wouldn’t do an AR pistol, especially with a muzzle break, for home defense/indoor use. Unless you and your family are already deaf or you’re all in the habit of wearing ear pros inside the house.

If your 9mm pistols are Glocks then maybe consider a 9mm AR using a Glock pattern lower. Your mags will all be the same. I like to keep truck guns simple and I carry a Glock.

Quote Originally Posted by billyjack View Post
    I personally wouldn’t do an AR pistol, especially with a muzzle break, for home defense/indoor use. Unless you and your family are already deaf or you’re all in the habit of wearing ear pros inside the house.
    You did see were he said TRUCK gun right?

I do like the idea of the same mags and also being able to run a 7.5 without blowing my ears out.

I do like the idea of the same mags and also being able to run a 7.5 without blowing my ears out.

Seems you may have found your answer

Quote Originally Posted by Steelin' Ducks View Post
    You did see were he said TRUCK gun right?
    You did see where he said when not in the truck it would be used for home defense, right?

If you shoot a 10.5" 556 without ear pro or a suppressor whether inside or out your ears will ring for a few days.
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

Just know that if you use a barrel shorter than 16", it will be a pistol. And you can't put a stock on it, you have to use a pistol brace. And unless you plan on spending another $150 or so, braces are not shoulder friendly. And with the recent ATF ruling, they may be getting ready to rule all braces illegal. Which means you will have to spend another "$200 for the SBR tax stamp.