Thread: Doves today

Default Doves today

Bow hunted this afternoon close enough to see my dove field. “Planted” wheat on it last Friday and was shocked how many doves flew up off it this afternoon about 6:15. Was going to bow hunt again in the morning, but think if the weather is decent might sit on the dove field a few hours and hope they come back. Will feel a little funny sitting over freshly planted wheat though. Anybody else seeing any?

Was a slow hunt numbers wise but somewhat steady shoot Wednesday. From 5:30-6:30 we watched them come to feed and were surprised. Wish it wasn’t raining tomorrow or we’d be hunting. Must be the wheat.
    Last edited by Duckkiller; 10-09-2020 at 08:18 PM.
    Go Tigers!!!

We elected not to do wheat just yet. Looking to do it in a few weeks though. Last week we bush hogged a few rows of corn and seeds and disc some fresh dirt. Two days later we had the best hunt of the season. Today...not so much. I think the birds were there early. Will never know. We’ve had a good season though.

Next week is all about deer. Unless both the older boys kill early then we will fish the latter part Of the week.

Had another barn burner on Wednesday afternoon, 430 they piled in and it didn’t take long. Haven’t planted any wheat yet.

Checked ours this eve. Wheat and freshly mowed sunflowers but not a single dove.

We picked up a pretty decent amount of migratory birds this week.

We picked up new birds this week. Delta is keeping us out of the field.

They came back this morning as I hoped. Killed 14 in about 3 hrs in between light rain showers. Right when I walked off the field pretty hard rain started, was a great morning overall.
    Last edited by Otter 1200; 10-10-2020 at 11:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mud ugh View Post
    We picked up a pretty decent amount of migratory birds this week.
    They came from Virginia. All of ours left

This has been the best dove season of my 48 year. I have hunted the same field in the Pee Dee my entire life. I killed a limit every Saturday the season and the weather has been perfect

I’m glad some of you had birds today. They sure weren’t at our club.
    \"If they don\'t hatch, they don\'t fly south\"

Don’t usually hunt on Sundays but since the season was closing today and I had some birds, decided to hunt this afternoon. Got on the field about 3:50 and the doves were already there. Probably 30-40 on the line and 50+ got up out of the field. Field was sloppy/ muddy from all the rain last night. Threw a couple decoys over the line and it was on. Killed 14 before I had to leave at 5:30. Another excellent hunt, field has been pretty good this year, even though opening day was kinda weak. Plan to plow and plant another acre or so of wheat before 2nd season opening.

I have ZERO doves. I still have standing sunflowers and a bunch of corn. I spread some wheat on a gravel road through the field a few weeks ago and it's still there sprouting. With all the food in the field, it wouldn't surprise me to see a bunch of doves waddling out of my field like penguins because they were too fat to fly but seeing zero doves is very peculiar.

Still time left, here one day gone the other. I dont try to worry until right at Thanksgiving.. we shoot that morning, every year regardless after shooting our marsh. I love winter birds, all the way up through the end.

Planted wheat last Sunday. Got to the field early and had a good number of birds in the field. Still plenty of standing sunflowers and corn. We will see come next Saturday.