Thread: Transfer Tank hardwire

Default Transfer Tank hardwire

Those of you that are running transfer tanks in the bed of your trucks. Do you have them hardwired and if you do...how so? I was thinking of grounding to truck frame and then running the Hotwire to the battery through a marine master switch in the toolbox and then a fuse of some sort.

Any ideas from the brain trust are encouraged

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Quackhead22; 10-06-2020 at 06:54 PM.
    Conservation means the wise use of the earth and its resources for the lasting good of men. -Gifford Pinchot

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

Sounds to me like you’re over complicating it. I always kept it simple. Run the wire under the truck up and to the engine compartment. At the battery put alligator clips on the positive and negative wires. Pop the hood and hook them up when you need to put fuel. Or I would wire up a seven pin trailer plug and plug the tank in back there when I need to use it.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Steelin' Ducks is the KRT of suppressors and such.

Trailer plug is the deal

Quote Originally Posted by Steelin' Ducks View Post
    Sounds to me like you’re over complicating it. I always kept it simple. Run the wire under the truck up and to the engine compartment. At the battery put alligator clips on the positive and negative wires. Pop the hood and hook them up when you need to put fuel. Or I would wire up a seven pin trailer plug and plug the tank in back there when I need to use it.
    This is why I come here for these type questions. I’m definitely over thinking it. I still may over engineer the hell out of it but I will definitely look at what you are saying. This is on a farm truck that is spending the rest of its life in the Wateree River swamp and will be rode hard. Which is why I was considering a switch and fuse of sorts.

Conservation means the wise use of the earth and its resources for the lasting good of men. -Gifford Pinchot

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

You creating things that can go wrong later. Keep it simple.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Steelin' Ducks is the KRT of suppressors and such.

I just bought a transfer tank last weekend. I've got a seven pin plug on the way from Amazon but last weekend after I got it to the farm, I just grabbed one of my deer feeder batteries to power it. Since I keep a stock of feeder batteries on a charger, that may be what I stick with. If I wire up the trailer plug, I'll be stuck with plugging it into the tractor, unless wire up the plug and also have alligator clips.

I bought a small trolling motor battery for mine that stays on a trickle charger and serves double duty with trolling motor and transfer tank

No way I’d want to pop the hood every time I used it.

All our trucks are wired into the battery and have a switch inside the truck. I put the switch on them so someone can’t steal the fuel easily.

Quote Originally Posted by jcoker View Post
    No way I’d want to pop the hood every time I used it.

All our trucks are wired into the battery and have a switch inside the truck. I put the switch on them so someone can’t steal the fuel easily.
    Coker that’s exactly what I’m thinking. Right now I’m keeping a bulldozer and a diesel pump running with the transfer tank and in a month it’ll be a bulldozer and a track hoe. I’m getting sick of having to open the hood every time something needs fuel.

Quote Originally Posted by Quackhead22 View Post
    Coker that’s exactly what I’m thinking. Right now I’m keeping a bulldozer and a diesel pump running with the transfer tank and in a month it’ll be a bulldozer and a track hoe. I’m getting sick of having to open the hood every time something needs fuel.
    That's right. Don't listen to the people who have been doing it every day since you were in pre school. I am sure the shitty Chinese made switch you buy will last at least a week. If opening a hood to fuel equipment is dragging you down, it may be time to think about a career change. Dirt work isn't for everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by scduckslaya67 View Post
    That's right. Don't listen to the people who have been doing it every day since you were in pre school. I am sure the shitty Chinese made switch you buy will last at least a week. If opening a hood to fuel equipment is dragging you down, it may be time to think about a career change. Dirt work isn't for everybody.
    Don’t get ur panties in a bunch there slick!

Like wearing Depends to bed so you don’t have to get up and walk to the toilet in the middle of the night to take a leak.
    When it comes your time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song and die like a hero going home. -Tecumseh-

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    You're also one of select few clemings with sense.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ1965 View Post

Like wearing Depends to bed so you don’t have to get up and walk to the toilet in the middle of the night to take a leak.
    Great Comparison!! Thanks so much for your knowledgeable input!

You feel better?

I lean towards the switch method myself. Problem is, it always seems to lead to something like my left rear window never rolling down again or something of the like...

Have all of ours wired into the upfitter switches...

Quote Originally Posted by FishSticker View Post
    Have all of ours wired into the upfitter switches...
    Clearly you’re lazy for not just popping the hood and hooking gator clips in! If this truck had that option that’s exactly what I’d do.

Quote Originally Posted by kquinn View Post
    Trailer plug is the deal
    Unless you trailer around saltwater- then plugs are always a work in progress even if you keep them dry.

I use an old riding mower battery- same one I use for my sprayer on the 4 wheeler
    Last edited by Bad Habit; 10-07-2020 at 05:41 PM.