Thread: NC water access and trespassing

Default NC water access and trespassing

I have some family friends with marsh land that I am considering hunting. The marsh is large and is off a main stream. There is no public access and no official boat ramps but there are many owners along the water so anyone could put in on their land if they wanted to.
    It isn't my land so it doesn't effect me, but I am just curious. They said that in NC as long as you access the water from your land, you can boat anywhere within anyone's property line. They were basically warning me that anyone can come hunt around me.

So is this true, Can anyone launch their boat on their land and motor over to our water, drop anchor and hunt out of their boat ?

I would probably call NCDNR rather than asking a bunch of guys from South Carolina about navigating water laws outside of our state Hoss.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

When you say "They said", who is "They"?

Quote Originally Posted by BOGSTER View Post
    I would probably call NCDNR rather than asking a bunch of guys from South Carolina about navigating water laws outside of our state Hoss.
    agreed, i just dont care that much. I was just curious since some of yall are actually from NC and/or still hunt there some.
    Last edited by duckz; 10-03-2020 at 11:38 AM.

“Our” water? In NC you don’t own the water. And can be on it as long as it’s navigable water.

Wrong. You can own marsh (See many of the clubs on Curritick Sound), and fishing is allowed but you can post your marsh and no one is allowed to hunt unless they are 500 yards away from the bank. Get more info or call a local real estate attorney.
    “The price of freedom is eternal vigilance” - Thomas Jefferson

Same in the NC mountains. You can't walk into a trout river on public property and just keep on fishing right up into the same river when it becomes private...

You are correct sir
    Last edited by Palmetto Pride; 10-03-2020 at 03:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Same in the NC mountains. You can't walk into a trout river on public property and just keep on fishing right up into the same river when it becomes private...
    You can if you're own Yellowstone.
    Dats a fact Jack!

Ask Huey Lewis...

I was referencing by boat not on foot. In NC a law (Gwathmey v. State) was passed that allows you to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Pride View Post
    Wrong. You can own marsh (See many of the clubs on Curritick Sound), and fishing is allowed but you can post your marsh and no one is allowed to hunt unless they are 500 yards away from the bank. Get more info or call a local real estate attorney.
    That’s a county law.

It’s fee simple deeded property they pay taxes on...

Some counties in the state have the "safe hunter law" and others only allow float blinds per a county license. Everything hinges on where the property is located.
    Vegetarian: Native American for Piss Poor Hunter