Thread: Rhino lining an aluminum boat questions

Default Rhino lining an aluminum boat questions

This is a follow up to a post on the trading post forum.

I have a very old riveted Monarch vee hull boat that has had more dead stuff in it than your average cemetery. It was the boat my dad taught me to fish in. It has some leaky rivets under the bench seats that I can't access to peen them out. I have considered putting liner on the outside to stop the leaking.

What preparation needs to happen to make the coating stick? Are all of these type coatings rough and pebbly or can smoother varieties be used on a boat bottom? Is this a do-it-yourself thing or will Rhino or Line-X shops spray boats? Are there any other gotchas I need to know about?

If this is strictly for the leaking rivets why not use an epoxy product to seal it?

I'd rather have a more global fix than constantly chasing a new leaking rivet.

Not to sound like a smart ass, but my bet is it will still leak. I had the bright idea to sink 3/4 of an old truck toolbox behind a makeshift blind I hunt to keep a dry box to store decoys etc in. I never knew of a leak, but I rhino lined it anyway thinking it would protect it. Within a day, it was full of water. Had not rained, so it came in from somewhere below water level.

JB WELD.
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Flex seal. Hell , make a new boat out of it. I saw it on tv.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernWake View Post
    If this is strictly for the leaking rivets why not use an epoxy product to seal it?
    What he said. This stuff will seal the boat permanently

https://fascoepoxies.com/Fasco-9xn-2...m-Coating.html

I have the same problem with our old Monarch boat. Dad bought it in 84 and us three boys have been giving it hell ever since. It leaks. Would love to fix it. I have flex sealed the inside all rivets that I have access to but of course the leaky ones are under the seats
    Last edited by reeltight; 10-01-2020 at 01:55 PM.

I bought an old Duracraft from a feller on here that went by yellerdog. Bottom was hooked bad and it leaked like a burlap sack. I knew that going in and got the boat cheap. It’s a good bit of work but the SteelFlex stopped all the leaks and since it is self leveling it filled in a good bit of the hook in the hull. I had to flip the boat over and use a cup brush with a palm grinder and etch up the bottom then acetone to clean. It was a weekend job but worth it.
    The only complaint I had was the colors are lighter once applied than they show on the website. I wanted an OD green and I had to add a lot of black tint to get it anywhere close to OD.
    The other warning is once completed, do not disconnect the ratchet strap until the boat is in the water. It will slide off the trailer, Teflon is slick.
    Last edited by Kwacker2; 10-01-2020 at 02:11 PM.

Buy a tube of 3m5200 and caulk the rivets. I buy it by the cases, swing buy and I’ll get you a tube
    Last edited by PalmettoTrooper; 10-01-2020 at 02:32 PM.

My 1980 Monarch was the only duck boat I ever had up till about 3 years ago. It hit every stump in sparkleberry and then some. I screwed up and let battery acid leak and ate up the ass end of it or I would still run it. Alot of ducks, fish etc graced the thing. Including king and spanish mackeral. Still wish I had it
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

I saw you said you couldn’t get access to peen rivets out so take this fwiw. I’ve got a 76 Sears jon boat I’ve had 35 years. Had multiple leaking rivets. Tried peening, epoxy and all sorts of sealers. Never worked for long. Read online that cracks will develop around loose rivets and suggested fix of drilling out and using ss pan head screws. Did this in conjunction with marine sealer 3 years ago on about a dozen or more rivets then painted. Boat is water tight now. Also stored outside at pond in direct sun and weather. My thoughts are you should fix the problem and then use Rino to protect it further.
    Last edited by Spur hunter; 10-03-2020 at 08:28 AM.
    Worship the LORD, not HIS creation.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

GLUV-IT will give you many years without a leak. FACT

https://www.amazon.com/Marine-Tex-RM...14909959&psc=1
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill