Thread: ATV CV boots question.

Default ATV CV boots question.

I was given an older ATV to use where I hunt as long as I fixed it up. Ordered tires and a carb. replaced fuel lines. Cleaned most everything.

I have a handle on most of the issues but three of the front cv boots are torn. The rears boots seem to be good as they were replaced two years ago before the machine was parked in the back of the barn. Thee grease is still in the joints. I think they tore when we first moved it to be honest. It is a polaris. Factory replacements are approximately 45 dollars a piece. Are any of the aftermarket ones worth a damn?

Any recommendations or info on which ones to avoid is appreciated.

If a man is alone in the woods, says something, and a woman does not hear, is he still wrong?

Bipartisan usually means that a larger-than-usual deception is being carried out. —George Carlin

Common sense is not a gift. It's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone else who doesn't have it.

I’d try here. Everything I’ve got from them is good stuff.

https://www.superatv.com/search?q=cv...ion=correction

Depending on model/availability it may make more sense just to replace the axles completely. When you factor in the time to disassemble the joints, replace the boots, re-grease and reassemble it is not much more money to have a brand new axle that you know is going to have a strong joint. Also, a lot depends on your time availability as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Chasbeau1 View Post
    Depending on model/availability it may make more sense just to replace the axles completely. When you factor in the time to disassemble the joints, replace the boots, re-grease and reassemble it is not much more money to have a brand new axle that you know is going to have a strong joint. Also, a lot depends on your time availability as well.
    This... boots are a pain

Buy aftermarket boots and the tool to crimp the correct clamps. Don't use zip ties or hose clamps.

There was a time that I replaced CV boots on vehicles regularly until the aftermarket became flooded with cheap asian CV axles and it was cheaper, considering the labor involved, to replace. I'd rather protect a quality OEM joint with a new boot than replace with new axles made from recycled shitty appliances.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverFox View Post
    This... boots are a pain
    Yep
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

And listen to Curlee
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Buy aftermarket. I just had to replace them on my Gator. The first side took me about 1.5hrs to figure out and reassemble. The second side I was done with in 30 minutes. It’s not that hard when you get it down.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

https://scducks.com/forum/showthread...s-blown-engine

could you steal something off of here before reeltight comes to get it without him knowing?
    its beside my barn. 5 finger discount if you hurry....
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

jwilliams is offline 2th Doc's Fishing understudy

Not sure I would classify the Polaris OEM axles/bearings/Joints as quality. Love my polaris but that has never been a strong point with them
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Does Elton John know you have his shotgun?

I had the same issue with my older 2005 Polaris 400. I looked into replacement of just the boots and it looked intensive, it looked easier to just replace the entire axle. I never got around to fixing them but was told by the dealer as long as you're not going crazy mudding in it, it's not too big of a deal them being cracked. I used mine on a lease just getting to the stand and riding roads. Had it for two years and never was an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Tha Dick View Post
    I’d try here. Everything I’ve got from them is good stuff.

https://www.superatv.com/search?q=cv...ion=correction
    This! the new polaris ones don't flex like i think they should.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I'll shoot over a kids head in a blind or long gun one on a turkey in a heart beat. You want to kill stuff around me you gonna earn it.

Thanks all. Bought new cheap axels and will get the old ones inspected and if still good, replace the boots and have a spare set

If a man is alone in the woods, says something, and a woman does not hear, is he still wrong?

Bipartisan usually means that a larger-than-usual deception is being carried out. —George Carlin

Common sense is not a gift. It's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone else who doesn't have it.