Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: greetings from newzealand

heres last years opening day bag for 2

Nobody ever told me that you had a black duck variant over there. That's it. I am going...

Are you hunting the north island?

how long is your season down there, I may can get a ticket before it's over.......Nice Pics, good lookin whackage!

And welcome to SCDUCKS, [img]graemlins/fu.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/fu2.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/tapdance.gif[/img]

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

Yeah Harv, that's what I thought they was! I want some of them blue feather to tie flies wid!

duckslaya,
    How much trouble is it to get in-country with guns and to get all the non-resident papers and license?
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

JABIII,

Shown in the pics are Pacific black ducks. I had the opportunity to photograph and observe several up close and personal a few years ago on a business trip to Perth, Australia. Though a "dime a dozen" over there, they are absolutely gorgeous birds!

hi guys, the main waterfowl season runs for 2 months ending the last weekend in june and pheasants quail pukeko c.geese and black swan going till end of july.
    the black ducks in pics are the drake paradise duck.

m.master you should not have too much trouble with firearms or hunting permits on this side of your travels, the gun laws are fairly tame over here.

Do you have duck stamps in NZ?
    They say the only time a fishermen tells the truth is when he tells you another fisherman is a liar.

yes we do camo snob,try fish and game.co.nz if you interested in purchasing some.

Glad to see another antipodean. If ever anyone was thinking of coming to Australia to hunt - go to New Zealand instead!

Great hunting, sensible gun laws, great people.

Cheers from Oz.
    Cheers from Oz

a few more paradise shelduck a grey duck and a swan

I'm a newbie....from CA. Wanted to join in and say that I love the pic. Share pics anytime!
    CWA Life Member<br />Delta Waterfowl Member<br />DU Member<br />Dove Sportsmen Society Member<br />G ˛ <br /><br />Hunters....the original wildlife conservationists

Originally posted by Duckfan:
    I'm a newbie....from CA. Wanted to join in and say that I love the pic. Share pics anytime!
    [img]graemlins/fu.gif[/img] welcome to SCDUCKS Duckfan!!!! [img]graemlins/devil-flip.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/tapdance.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/flipa.gif[/img]
    They say the only time a fishermen tells the truth is when he tells you another fisherman is a liar.

Originally posted by CAMO SNOB:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Duckfan:
    [img]graemlins/fu.gif[/img] welcome to SCDUCKS Duckfan!!!! [img]graemlins/devil-flip.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/tapdance.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/flipa.gif[/img] </font>[/QUOTE]thanks.....it nice to join in where you already think I am 'number 1'.

CWA Life Member<br />Delta Waterfowl Member<br />DU Member<br />Dove Sportsmen Society Member<br />G ˛ <br /><br />Hunters....the original wildlife conservationists

welcome, duckfan. we hear about the hunting in CA all the time. Sounds wonderful. Don't let the government screw it up. Tell us some stories. pintails galore? we have to dream....

but i can put you on a solid ASS of wood ducks any time you'd like .

nice work getting those kids involved.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Originally posted by 2thDoc:
    welcome, duckfan. we hear about the hunting in CA all the time. Sounds wonderful. Don't let the government screw it up. Tell us some stories. pintails galore? we have to dream....

but i can put you on a solid ASS of wood ducks any time you'd like .

nice work getting those kids involved.
    2thDoc,

Thanks...... I don't get over to this forum too often.

I have hunted here in CA for 42 years. Started when I was 10 although went with my dad and brothers before that. CA hunting can truly be amazing. There are private clubs of course, but the refuge system is a great system IMO for hunting ducks. Back in the 70's, down in southern CA, we used to shoot sprig all day long. Obviously, the limits have changed tremendously on them for all of us, but we are hoping to see some relief in the next year or so to at least get us up to 2 sprig a day. Our seasons have been long starting in late October and going through the end of January, and we are seeing more and more sprig the past 2 years. They are my favorite bird of all time. Last year, I had many days with flocks circling overhead. They do take their time in looking over the spread but we did real well on them last year. Lots of Greenwing and Cinn Teal as well, along with Mallard and widgeon and gaddies. Toss in some spoonies and you can pretty much hunt all types of ducks…and in all types of habitat.

Many refuges have blind sites as well as 'free roam; areas. Some blind sites are just a stake in the ground and you hunt within 100 feet of that stake. Down at Wister on the Salton Sea, they use the stake system and you hunt within 100 Yards of a stake. This is to keep the hunters spread out. But, up in the central valley of CA (aka Grasslands) and up into the Sacramento Valley, the sites range from 100 feet from a stake all the way up to permanent blind sites (pit and raised platform blinds) that you need to stay in them to hunt. The blinds are determined by reservation drawing numbers. Most also have a lottery the night before the hunt to determine the order in which a hunter can select a hunt site after the reservation holders have been processed. And, we also have sweat lines, for those not getting a reservation or lottery number.

You can walk on to most refuges any afternoon, except opening and closing weekend. I have done that many times, and had real nice and comfortable afternoon hunts. Lots of rivers and the Delta to hunt in as well.

I joined a club last year for the first time in my life - joined with my adult son. Had a terrific year. Looking forward to this coming year to see if that 1st year at the club was a fluke or hopefully, have a repeat performance. Last years bag included GW Teal, Cinn Teal, Mallard, Sprig, Widgeon, Gaddies, Canvasback and Wood duck, and Spoonie..along with snow geese. We get a lot of specks out here as well but we did not target them last year and did not even take a shot at one. Because of the club situation (in the Grasslands) we didn't venture up to the Sac Valley like we usually do. There are plenty of Specks there for the taking.

Anyway - more than you probably wanted to know, but it is a good place to duck hunt.…. Take care

Ah, the hallowed 70's.

Originally posted by duckslaya:
    we used the 4wd drive to make a pond
    Dammit Boy! Now thats what I'm talkin about..."makin" a pond with yer truck, throwin out a few decoys and shootin some birds. If'n you were to say you drank some brews when you finished I'd probably just have to go home and start packing my shit.

Fair Dinkum and so forth. I'm outta here!

Oh yeah, welcome aboard fellas.

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

Originally posted by Duckfan:
    Welcome aboard Duckfan!!

I have several friends from Cali that
    tell me some great duck hunting tales.
    A couple of guys from Chico that hunt
    the rice a lot and a bud from San Diego,
    he's been huntin the Salton for years.
    A few of years ago he had a ball of
    cinnamons come rolling in on him when
    he was set up in a ditch, one shot
    in that ball put 5 birds on the deck!
    Those things must really bunch up
    tight when they fly sometimes. He
    said there was about 30+ teal in
    that wad when it zoomed by.

Just like duckslaya from NZ, it's good
    to have you here to give us a little
    different perspective on waterfowling.
    Thanks for signing up!
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

I sure have some fond memories of duck hunting in Cali. Flocks of 50 sprigs spiraling overhead and the buzz of thousands of specks doing the same bring a smile to my face. They face far less pressure than our birds and are quickly drawn into the decoys. Lots of hunting can be had without a boat and hunting competition is fairly light outside of opening day and Saturdays. I hunted there in the heyday of the late 70’s and early 80’s.