Thread: Beaufort

Default Beaufort

For those who operate down there, just how important to Beaufort county is Parris Island?

Very. Not just for employment at the base. Just about every week there is a graduation (pre-covid) as well as family day. Hotels, restaurants, air bnb's, etc...would lose out of a plethora of business. The housing market in Beaufort would also take a tremendous hit.

Housing was my first thought. Not that I live in beaufort. That housing allowances covers a lot of roofs around bases

The base I think it is very important to Northern Beaufort County, however the area is growing so fast if it were to be pulled I think a recovery would be rapid and not noticeable in the long-term.
    Last edited by Calibogue; 09-30-2020 at 09:15 AM.
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Up to $2.2 Billion annually I see. Someone down there better find their John Spratt. We don't need 8,000 acres of new Yankee retirees hitting our voting booths...

Graham will be able to save the base if he can get past the lobbyist.

Hilton Head II

When MB Airforce Base was shutting down it was end of the world, we see how that ended.
    Low country redneck who moved north

It would be very impactful, but only short term. I went down to Beaufort to go fishing back in early August. First time I had been to Beaufort in six years. The yankee infiltration and developments going up in Beaufort is mind boggling. Parris Island closes, and comes up for sale, it would be snatched up in short order and developed. A shame.

The bad part- if PI goes- so does MCAS- that would be a double hit

Is that the case? I would have thought that MCAS was there to protect SRS.

Fun fact, SRS holds more weapons grade plutonium than the USSR produced in it's history...

Default Beaufort

I worked on PI and MCRS for 5 years when I did commercial construction right out of college. There is so much asbestos and toxic shit in those old buildings and buried all around there....It would take a new county landfill or a huge “look the other way coverup” to consider that land suitable for development before, during, and after decommission and demolition.

Edited to add.....Additionally there are several large historic preservation sites on PI that I imagine would not be able to be disturbed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Johnny Reb; 10-04-2020 at 04:34 PM.

When did coed billeting in the recruit training become a priority? Im at a loss here...
    At least I'm housebroken.

PI would become a preserve if abandoned....
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE