Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Great Beach Grab

almost as bad as their baby powder looking pimpled skin, hobbling around like they're in a constant phase of chaffed

Quote Originally Posted by 12341234 View Post
    Public is public. Should we put a limit on how many people can use the lake or waterways at one time? Part of the problem with a growing population. Maybe if you don’t like it sell, the market is in a good place to do that.
    The lake isn't a neighborhood. The lake is only going to fill up until the landing parking lot is full. That is already a limiting factor. The people at the lake and at the waterways don't park in your yard. My yard isn't public but plenty of beach goers treat it like it is. There get to be so many cars parked along the roads that emergency vehicles can't navigate the streets.

I and most of my neighbor are against the pay for parking idea. Every time IOP and Folly make a change to their laws, we get even more inundated. I pay higher taxes to support these visitors and we welcome them but there needs to be some sort of way to limit it. Should the limit be when the roads are completely filled, deadlocked and at a standstill? That has already happened after one of the July 4th free fireworks displays my taxes paid for. I had some friends trying to leave the island that were stuck in traffic on the causeway for 5 hours.

Jimmy Carroll is an idiot. I don't get a chance to vote against him.

I can see your side for certain.
    Sullivan’s (for all intents and purposes) has been a quiet, local, beach in the heart of the metro area that has somehow fought off major development.
    If I lived there, I’m sure I would snub my nose at mini vans full of Yankees and Subaru’s full of college kids flooding every square inch of beach for 5 months, when I have 7 months of peace.

That said, our beaches are public.
    And access to public areas are just as important to access to private property.

Does it suck? Of course it does.
    I used to wade fish for trout in Breach on the sullivans side for years. I can’t do that now during prime time because of tourists.
    It sucks tremendously that Charleston has become overpopulated.

But public, is public, and while it sucks to hear and see, “they”, “we” have a right to access the ocean just as much as you do.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    I see it from the other side. I don't think it's a beach grab. I see it as the communities trying to set a maximum occupancy limit. How would you like to see your neighborhood get crushed with sometimes rude and noisy crowds every weekend and, lately, damn near every sunny day? There are so many more people in the area that want to go to the beach but we don't have any more beach than before they moved here. Is there no limit to how many people should be allowed to cram onto a sea island?

And to the inevitable reply, "You should have thought about that before you bought a house there", it wasn't an issue when my wife's grandfather bought the lot on a desolate island 93 years ago.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

People build houses on beach to enjoy sitting on the porch watching the sunrises, hearing the waves at night, a nice breeze during the summer etc before electricity.

Other people who are better suited to swamps and such come along and assume that they built their homes because of the strip of sand between them and the water so they flock it it.

People on their porches are mad looking down at them sitting there. They are mad because they realize that they are sitting there doing nothing but getting skin cancer.

The list of winners in the scenario-

1. The people who are renting their houses for more a week than Granddaddy paid for it because they now have electricity back at home.

2. The people who are in the creeks catching crabs glad that all the people scratching their asses on the beach haven't figured out the whole boat thing. Yet...

PB - it sucks all around.

I don’t live in Charleston anymore, but have lived there, worked there, recreated there, for most of my life...... I work there to this day.

The influx of people on Charleston has forever changed her, at our own fault.
    She wasn’t designed for the amount of people that now call it home.

It does sting to see the CRAZY influx of people.

Try to find a secluded flat to pitch flies on a flood tide.
    Try to surf the washout, 10th, Pier, IOP Pier, Berts secret sandbar at Sullivan’s.
    Try to put in at the smallest local ramp on the Stono.

It’s a disaster.

But what can be done?

Nothing. We sold Charleston to the Yankees at a low price with a smile on our faces.
    Now their offspring has flooded us out.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    almost as bad as their baby powder looking pimpled skin, hobbling around like they're in a constant phase of chaffed

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    What? Sumter not chiming in? How about Pelzer? Thanks Facebook. We get to hear from everyone on everything from now on...
    I live in Sumter now, I'm classin' this place up now.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    “… duckhunting stands alone as an outdoor discipline. It has a tang and spirit shared by no other sport—a philosophy compounded of sleet, the winnow of unseen wings, and the reeks of marsh mud and wet wool. No other sport has so many theories, legends, casehardened disciples and treasured memories.”
    --John Madson, The Mallard, 1960

"Never trust a duck hunter who cares more about his success than his dog's."

I think if the state road thing is pushed, the beach communities will win. The roads in downtown Charleston are public and state owned and they certainly charge for parking. Parking fees are used to control crowds. The precedent has been established. I don't want to see it. I think the beach should be accessible to everyone but everyone can't go to the same place at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by BowfinClassic View Post
    “He specifically took issue with a comment made by Isle of Palms Mayor Jimmy Carroll, who during last week’s council meeting, directly stated that residents of Summerville, a town 36 miles away, should consider vacationing elsewhere.”
    Carroll has my vote after this.
    Sea Ark 1542 w/ Yamaha 40
    Xpress 16 w/ 50 Hammer
    War Eagle 15 w/ 30 Hammer

--------------------------------------------------

"Sometimes you gotta grab the bull by the horns and the women by the tits and take charge in your life" - General Patton

"I'm very drunk and I intend on getting still drunker before this evening's over."
    - Rhett Butler

Fuuuuuuuuk them. Keep voting in the pro-growth crowd, suffer the consequences. Maybe one day you'll get a clue.

There was a time when there was two places in SC that I swore I'd never go, unless business or a funeral demanded it - Hilton Head and Myrtle Beach. It broke my heart when I had to add the tri-county to the list.
    Last edited by GMAC; 09-29-2020 at 07:51 PM.