Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Great Beach Grab

Default The Great Beach Grab

Charleston-area beaches face SC-wide anger for attempts to restrict access to visitors
    BY CHASE KARACOSTAS AND CAITLIN BYRD
    SEPTEMBER 29, 2020 05:00 AM

Three barrier islands near Charleston have spent the last several months slowly choking off public access to their beaches, creating an uproar around the state over who deserves the right to use South Carolina beaches: islanders or outsiders.

South Carolina closed public access to its beaches, all of which the state owns, at the start of the pandemic in an attempt to slow the spread of COVID-19. But after Gov. Henry McMaster reopened the beaches in late April, Isle of Palms, Sullivan’s Island and Folly Beach took a more gradual approach, issuing their own emergency orders to restrict public beach access and reduce the number of non-residents coming in.
    After Isle of Palms City Council restricted non-resident public parking this summer, the backlash from nearby communities was swift.
    A Facebook group called Charleston Area Public Beach Access and Parking Group formed in mid-July, and grew to nearly 10,000 members.

The group’s mission of advocating for accessible beaches has evolved into the Charleston Beach Foundation.

The group filed a lawsuit in August against Isle of Palms after the barrier island sought to temporarily block non-residents from using more than 750 parking spots near the beach, leaving just 10 free spaces.
    The islands “shouldn’t be getting away with this,” Barnett said. “There’s a lot of people out there who are from Goose Creek, Summerville, Moncks Corner, the more inland cities. … These families enjoy using these beaches, and they’re from less affluent areas and they were never going to speak up for themselves.”

He specifically took issue with a comment made by Isle of Palms Mayor Jimmy Carroll, who during last week’s council meeting, directly stated that residents of Summerville, a town 36 miles away, should consider vacationing elsewhere.

“That was an abhorrent comment to make — elitist, arrogant snobbery,” Barnett said.
    “There has been unbridled growth across the tri-counties,” Carroll said, referring to Charleston, Berkeley and Dorchester counties. “People need to start thinking about the future because there’s going to be a lot more growth that’s coming and a lot more cars.”

Nearby Mount Pleasant has seen a population boom. Earlier this year, the U.S. Census Bureau listed Mount Pleasant as the 12th fastest-growing large city in the United States.
    On Isle of Palms specifically, Carroll can see the impacts of this nearby growth in the steady uptick each year for police and first-responder calls, along with trash pick-ups.

“We had the biggest month ever in trash dumps this past July. That costs us money to take care of all that stuff. Most day visitors don’t pay a penny out here. Paid parking is something that is inevitable and it is coming,” Carroll said.

https://www.thestate.com/news/state/...246006635.html

go to myrtle beach
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Yeah..... but DOT stomped Jimmy’s ass for that one.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Timmy bowed out a couple days after reading DOT’s letter to Jimmy.

If you don’t keep government in check, the slimy bastards will over reach every time.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

North Myrtle did it too.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

There’s a lot of people out there who are from Goose Creek, Summerville, Moncks Corner
    What? Sumter not chiming in? How about Pelzer? Thanks Facebook. We get to hear from everyone on everything from now on...

There’s a nice sandbar below Pelzer. It’s private.

Quote {If you don’t keep government in check, the slimy bastards will over reach every time.} No truer statement has ever been made, mind if I use it!?

I see it from the other side. I don't think it's a beach grab. I see it as the communities trying to set a maximum occupancy limit. How would you like to see your neighborhood get crushed with sometimes rude and noisy crowds every weekend and, lately, damn near every sunny day? There are so many more people in the area that want to go to the beach but we don't have any more beach than before they moved here. Is there no limit to how many people should be allowed to cram onto a sea island?

And to the inevitable reply, "You should have thought about that before you bought a house there", it wasn't an issue when my wife's grandfather bought the lot on a desolate island 93 years ago.

Public is public. Should we put a limit on how many people can use the lake or waterways at one time? Part of the problem with a growing population. Maybe if you don’t like it sell, the market is in a good place to do that.
    I don't belive in miracles, I rely on them.

Quote Originally Posted by 12341234 View Post
    Public is public. Should we put a limit on how many people can use the lake or waterways at one time? Part of the problem with a growing population. Maybe if you don’t like it sell, the market is in a good place to do that.

Privilege Probs

“He specifically took issue with a comment made by Isle of Palms Mayor Jimmy Carroll, who during last week’s council meeting, directly stated that residents of Summerville, a town 36 miles away, should consider vacationing elsewhere.”

Yeah, like back to Ohio.

Carroll deserves to be criticized for that comment.

Quote Originally Posted by BowfinClassic View Post
    “He specifically took issue with a comment made by Isle of Palms Mayor Jimmy Carroll, who during last week’s council meeting, directly stated that residents of Summerville, a town 36 miles away, should consider vacationing elsewhere.”

Yeah, like back to Ohio.
    what about the "residents" of Isle of Palms that need to go back to Ohio as well?
    A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.

Theodore Roosevelt; 26th president of US (1858 - 1919)

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud

Quote Originally Posted by Jozie & Me View Post
    what about the "residents" of Isle of Palms that need to go back to Ohio as well?
    Them too

Quote Originally Posted by tsigmon View Post
    Quote {If you don’t keep government in check, the slimy bastards will over reach every time.} No truer statement has ever been made, mind if I use it!?
    All yours my friend.

If I lived there I wouldn't want to see public people either.

f'n hell, nasty bastards walking around breathing air and just returning it with funyun smelling carbon dioxide

tacky looking big Johnson t-shirts and or cargo shorts..