Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Waterfowl Backpack

Default Waterfowl Backpack

I need a new backpack for walk-in / bike-in only hunts. I have used a bottomland Allen pack (1350ci) for a few years but I need something a little bigger to carry all my junk. I will continue to carry my Allen for snipe hunts but need a little more space for the duck ventures. I have been considering a Cabelas Northern Flight Waterfowlers Pack, or something along those lines. Any advice appreciated. Only condition is that is has to be a backpack, and bigger than 1350ci. TIA

received_378309363325626.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk
    "Hunt today to kill tomorrow." - Ron Jolly

As much as I hate to name drop, the sitka timber pack is great. My wife got it for me for Christmas a couple years ago and I can’t really find anything I don’t like about it other than the price.

I thought I saw one in the TP the other day, so check there...

Quote Originally Posted by mudminnow View Post
    As much as I hate to name drop, the sitka timber pack is great. My wife got it for me for Christmas a couple years ago and I can’t really find anything I don’t like about it other than the price.
    This^^^
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

I have been using a Tanglefree ultimate pack and it has worked well. Just sling your shotgun and then put on the pack. The only thing I don't like about it is that it is all one compartment. I would prefer it to have different sections or more zippered pouches. I like the one Jay sent, that looks pretty sharp.

What all do ya'll carry that you need a backpack?

I wear a Filson strap vest for every duck hunt, whether it's walk in, timber in the boat, or a pit. I can carry 2 boxes of shells in the side pouches, and a thermos/food/duck strap/anything else I need in the back pouch.

Lots of snacks

Quote Originally Posted by Chasbeau1 View Post
    I have been using a Tanglefree ultimate pack and it has worked well. Just sling your shotgun and then put on the pack. The only thing I don't like about it is that it is all one compartment. I would prefer it to have different sections or more zippered pouches. I like the one Jay sent, that looks pretty sharp.
    Just bought this one over the summer. The one big compartment was the only thing I was disappointed in, as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Some high society lady says is your horse outside, no ma'am he's between my legs, but you're too fat to ride" Hank Jr

Quote Originally Posted by huntinghagen#12 View Post

I wear a Filson strap vest for every duck hunt, whether it's walk in, timber in the boat, or a pit. I can carry 2 boxes of shells in the side pouches, and a thermos/food/duck strap/anything else I need in the back pouch.
    Most of the time it’s pretty empty. Jerk string set up, headlamp, hand warmers. If I’m taking my kids (6 and 8) I have lots of snacks and hand warmers, thermos with hot chocolate, ear protection, extra gloves, extra jackets, pac towel, their flashlights, cameras,...

Kids add a lot of trouble, but it’s worth it

Mine starts out pretty light but by the end of the year, I could live out of it for a few days in comfort.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

Shell belt , motion decoy, lots of bottled water , thermacell, PLB, and various accoutrements. Hunting south Florida requires you to avoid vests and bring lots of water. Its 85°F during regular season down here. Basically you need to bring anything that will aid your survival against dehydration, pythons/gators, plagues of mosquitos, and worst of all: the native Cuban population.

so, what makes it a "waterfowling backpack?" Sitka brand and that ugly ass camo that Glenn likes?

I bet I have 5 school backpacks and at least 3 or 4 sports related ones hanging out in my garage I could use.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by tman View Post
    Shell belt , motion decoy, lots of bottled water , thermacell, PLB, and various accoutrements. Hunting south Florida requires you to avoid vests and bring lots of water. Its 85°F during regular season down here. Basically you need to bring anything that will aid your survival against dehydration, pythons/gators, plagues of mosquitos, and worst of all: the native Cuban population.

you make it sound like you are teasing death with every hunt. I must congratulate you on surviving the onslaught!

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    so, what makes it a "waterfowling backpack?" Sitka brand and that ugly ass camo that Glenn likes?

I bet I have 5 school backpacks and at least 3 or 4 sports related ones hanging out in my garage I could use.
    Oh hell.... Shot fired.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

I mean....I get it....from a marketing standpoint. But, I dont think I can argue the relative merits of a specific brand to carry my water, thermacell, and bugout pack.

I like to repurpose things. I am fairly certain I couldn't buy a "waterfowling backpack" without feeling guilty for not using the $75 one my kid just had to have for tennis.

(and, yes, Glenn likes ugly camo)
    Last edited by 2thDoc; 09-28-2020 at 12:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I mean....I get it....from a marketing standpoint. But, I dont think I can argue the relative merits of a specific brand to carry my water, thermacell, and bugout pack.

I like to repurpose things. I am fairly certain I couldn't buy a "waterfowling backpack" without feeling guilty for not using the $75 my kid just had to have for tennis.

(and, yes, Glenn likes ugly camo)
    I tend to agree. While I welcome all suggestions, I will probably not be giving consideration to $200+ backpack. Just wanted to hear the scducks brain trust opinions in case I've overlooked something reasonable.

I wear a filson strap vest.. anything else seems a smidge needy, except for like that little one strap bag that Nutz carries for star crunches.

I'm not going to school.

i'm gonna repackage connor's UA backpack for Tman to take duck hunting.

I need some more range balls.
    and an excuse to cook for yall at limbo.
    make it happen