Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cast iron seasoning

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzy View Post
    Put it in the oven, and run set your oven to the clean cycle. When it is done, and cooled down, wash it real good. Set the oven temp to 200, and put the pan in it, to completely dry it, and preheat it. Wipe it down (all surfaces) with a good height heat oil, such as grapeseed oil. Put it back in the oven for about 20 minutes, the pull it out, and wipe the excess oil off. Put it back in the oven, and turn the heat up to 500. After an hour at 500, turn the oven off, and let it cool down. Repeat the oiling and heating process until you are satisfied with the coating.
    This is a good method that I've used, too.

I just use bacon grease. I find pig oil works better than any plant based oil.
    When it comes your time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song and die like a hero going home. -Tecumseh-

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    You're also one of select few clemings with sense.

the internet has made us think we are doing everything "wrong" because we find a website from some dork that tells you as much.

its iron. cook on it. dont use soap. dry it off well. repeat.

I "season" mine with whatever was cooked in it last.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post

its iron. cook on it.
    People tend to act like cast iron is made from some rare unstable element only found in the outer regions of the universe.

Outside of washing in a dishwasher, I'm of the opinion that cast iron can't be screwed up.
    I don't need my name in the marquee lights....

i tell you. its the internet. it makes people think they arent perfect enough. I MUST BE AS GOOD AS THIS GUY ON YOUTUBE! I must have the perfect ________.

I am so OK with being me. Good old plain me. I dont compare myself with perfect (saves me the disappointment).

Maybe that's what makes you such the asshole.
    I don't need my name in the marquee lights....

i tell you. its the internet. it makes people think they arent perfect enough. I MUST BE AS GOOD AS THIS GUY ON YOUTUBE! I must have the perfect ________.

I am so OK with being me. Good old plain me. I dont compare myself with perfect (saves me the disappointment).
    I don't have that problem

On the bright side it has given all the people who missed being Clemson fans and would have become Moonies or Hare Krishnas a plethora of outlets to exercise their culty behavior...

It happened when they started making grills with plugs and temp dials.
    Last edited by charlie horse; 09-28-2020 at 10:47 AM.

and outdoor griddles

I spray my cast iron and griddle with Pam(n).

Quote Originally Posted by Jozie & Me View Post
    It should look like this. That little #3 will slide an egg out easier than the hen.

Attachment 59459

Here is the rest of the family.

Attachment 59460

My seasoning technique.

Put skillet on gas stove and get her hot.

Apply light oil. I use Publix spray canola oil.

Let it smoke until it cooks the oil onto the surface and stops smoking.

Repeat 3-4 times.

Cook bacon. Keep cooking bacon.

Wipe with paper towel and hang.

Anytime I want to build up seasoning I just burn some canola oil onto it.

Just need a good kitchen vent.
    That's a whole wall of love.

People will complicate the most mundane things these days.......Heat it up, cool it down, heat up a little, ice it down, heat it up again but this time upside down, let one of the kids cool it down, wipe it down with bear tallow, heat it up again but this time dont cool it down til rains, worry that you aren't doing it right and some flannel wearing hipster cast iron pan police officer is going to kick in the door any minute. Place pan on wall under Live Laugh Love and Gather sign. Go buy non stick like all the rest of the women......
    "Never Trust a Skinny Chef."

first things first.. are those chairs lined with red velvet

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    first things first.. are those chairs lined with red velvet
    And why are the bedroom slippers hanging on the wall?
    When it comes your time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song and die like a hero going home. -Tecumseh-

Quote Originally Posted by PimentoCheese View Post
    That's a whole wall of love.
    yep.

the 4 on the right on the top row were Granny's (mom's mom) That deep Wagner has fried more Chicken than the Colonel.

The griddle on row two cooked every pancake I ate as a kid. My dad would make what I called "adventure pancakes." There would be pecans, chocolate chips, bananas, apples/cinnamon or whatever he could conger up to put in them. My kids get them now.

The red in the middle is a joke. That abomination of a pan is worthless. I hung it there to get under my wife's skin.

Second one on second row is an old Birmingham Stove and Range that was Grandma's "dad's mom." She weren't no cook, but its nice to have her skillet.

I enjoy finding them and weeding out the newer lodges, although most of them have a specific use. Middle of bottom row is cornbread ONLY. The big lodge on bottom will make cube steak that will make you slap yo momma. My wife likes steaks seared on the stove in the two #8s on the top row better than off the grill.

on a normal Sunday morning the griswold #8 on the top row, the little Wagner #3 beside it and the griddle will be earning their keep.
    A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.

Theodore Roosevelt; 26th president of US (1858 - 1919)

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud

IMG_20201014_190626790.jpg

My three favorite Wagner's...

The oven and #5 were from my Mom's mother and have been used weekly since the late 30's. The other #8 Wagner belonged to my father's mother(born in 1900)and was a wedding present when she was 20.

IMG_20201014_193924592.jpg

And some Wagner Turks Head muffin and corn stick pans. I prefer skillet cornbread but cook some in these for old times sake for the kids on occasion.

ETA: To add to HS's post above...

I remember as an older child, at a large family gathering at the gin one Sunday afternoon, my grandmother(the epitome of a sweet, proper, Southern woman)stopping my great aunt/her sister on the way in with a basket of cornbread. She said "Thelma, if that basket is full of sweet cornbread, tell Billy to put it back in the truck......y'all can enjoy that back at your house". My Uncle Billy muttered the entire way back to the truck "I told you...but no, don't listen to me"

My grandmother looked at my cousins and I and I, as we were the only ones around, purses her lips, shook her head, and said "She knows better than that...."

I still laugh thinking about that day....
    Last edited by FishSticker; 10-14-2020 at 07:20 PM.

A5F1B6EE-1000-4F0D-A602-6682E717E3BB.jpg

Found this in my dad’s storage shed a few weeks back. Going to see if I can save it and get it back in service.