Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Our doves...

Had more than ever Friday afternoon. Sat was a little slow but think we were close to limits
    "And ignoring people on here....that's like being home schooled. Just say you're not ready to face life." Highstrung

I had a One of my best hunts Saturday, on the field by myself in the AM, had a decoy on the line, a mojo dove running on the ground and every dove that flew by was coming to the line. Shot 27 times to kill 15, was done in about 45 minutes, would not say the field was loaded just a perfect morning.

The only common thing I have noticed over the past week is the birds are eating in the middle of the day, only exception was a field that is 3miles from the ocean and it was more of the normal afternoon bit but the sun was shining bright. Not sure that numbers are down other than a lot of doves have been killed in the past 3 weeks, I just think they have changed things up.
    cut\'em

When does Clemson suggest one plant wheat?

Worst year for numbers I've seen overall. Who cares it's almost deer season.

I don't know where yall are hunting or if all yall planted was buckwheat but the bird hinting has been great everywhere ive except one hunt and they just vanished from that field after we shot them the first time.

Why would I fuck around with anything but corn and flowers

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    Why would I fuck around with anything but corn and flowers
    Buckwheat is the new sunflower.

Plenty of corn and flowers over here, ours looked bleak earlier last week.. two weeks ago I killed birds full of wheat and wild seeds, it's not us or Q22

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    Plenty of corn and flowers over here, ours looked bleak earlier last week.. two weeks ago I killed birds full of wheat and wild seeds, it's not us or Q22
    I think I know who it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Conservation means the wise use of the earth and its resources for the lasting good of men. -Gifford Pinchot

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

Quote Originally Posted by Whackumstackum View Post
    Buckwheat is the new sunflower.

Quote Originally Posted by Quackhead22 View Post
    I think I know who it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I wanna find out.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

I have two guesses, it's not like where we're at there are many other options other than downtown driveways

I've got fields without another field around for miles, full of sunflowers, and just a few doves using them. Haven't been hunted in almost 2 weeks now. Had the same issue last year. Used to think food = doves but now I see there is some luck involved

lucky enough to know Labluvr
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

He must have all the doves

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    I've got fields without another field around for miles, full of sunflowers, and just a few doves using them. Haven't been hunted in almost 2 weeks now. Had the same issue last year. Used to think food = doves but now I see there is some luck involved
    My theory is that it helps to be close to other fields. I also think that it helps to coordinate with other nearby dove clubs to hunt the same days. That keeps them from heading to another field and staying there after the first shot.

It's embarrassing to invite friends to a shoot only to not have birds show up. I may erect a lone tree with decoys and solo shoot my field a couple times the rest of this split.

My field is surrounded by very tall trees and the birds use them like stadium seats. They land in the trees and recon the field to see if there is anything scary. If they see any movement or hear a shot, they bounce to some other food. I am considering cutting many of these gigantic pines after the season to make some better flyway gaps and less vantage points.

We had more birds today than I think we’ve seen all season.

Im glad i went to work..

Well the buckwheat was planted too late...my own fault. However, when they finally matured two weeks ago, I bushhogged some before I left out of town for a week. While I was out of town my buddy came over to train dogs and said the fields were loaded. Before I could get back home it rained and most of the seed sprouted. Doves left day after I got home. Fuck me!!! I will plant buckwheat next year just about a month earlier.
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

Quote Originally Posted by charlie horse View Post
    Im glad i went to work..
    I sat in your spot.