Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wounded Deer

Quote Originally Posted by byrdshot View Post
    Thank you for this!!!! Will look at all of this and appreciate you taking the time for feedback
    And you can stick with 100gn heads. Add your weight up front via Heavy inserts.

Quote Originally Posted by JBK View Post
    Look up Ranch Fairy on the YouTube and Instagram. Also look at Dr Ashby's information.

Like the others have mentioned above. You need to increase your FOC. Don't just increase your over all weight. Add it all to the front. I'd recommend trying to get to 20 % FOC. Also you probably need to tinker with tuning your bow. There is way more to it then just going with a heavy arrow. You won't find the help you need anywhere around here in a shop.

You are pulling plenty of draw weight. Just need to work on your setup. Chin up. It happens to us all.
    Thank you I appreciate all of this and will. I am going to go to Jeffreys tomorrow to start somewhere with improvements

The arrow/broadhead was not the issue. Deer probably dropped and you hit high, it happens.

High FOC and the latest and greatest sharpened piece of metal would not have made a difference

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Look up Ranch Fairy on the YouTube and Instagram. Also look at Dr Ashby's information.

Like the others have mentioned above. You need to increase your FOC. Don't just increase your over all weight. Add it all to the front. I'd recommend trying to get to 20 % FOC. Also you probably need to tinker with tuning your bow. There is way more to it then just going with a heavy arrow. You won't find the help you need anywhere around here in a shop.

You are pulling plenty of draw weight. Just need to work on your setup. Chin up. It happens to us all.
    Thank you for this. I appreciate it very much and will do - I am going to Jeffrey’s tomorrow to get started on improvement

Agree on tuning......I blew through both shoulders (hit forward) on a 220+ lb buck in Ks.......Montec isn’t the issue.

Bow hunting a low position target from An elevated position stand takes a lot of math .....

Thank you everyone on here. I’ve been having issues with this site today, some of my replies aren’t posting and some are and saying they’re not so they’re double posted. I apologize but I am reading everything and taking all into account. It definitely sucks and I appreciate you all taking the time out of your day for feedback

Thank you everyone on here. I’ve been having issues with this site today, some of my replies aren’t posting and some are and saying they’re not so they’re double posted. I apologize but I am reading everything and taking all into account. It definitely sucks and I appreciate you all taking the time out of your day for feedback

Ive been watching some Ranch Fairy and man the stuff I didn't know is mind blogging. Reckon ill stick with a GUN

I have found several broadheads with 5" of arrow inside body cavities of rifle shot deer. It happens. Anybody giving you static over it is clearly an idiot...

Looks like a lot of arrow sticking out on that zoomed in picture, can see what appears to be all of the manufacturer birthmark on it. Montecs are solid BHs, have killed 4 deer with same bh/arrow in a season using them. Ribs are thicker higher up there where you hit. I'd say you dead centered one and heard a crack at the shot. I did similar on a buck right under me with a 60lb bow a few years back the only time I've ever shot a rage BH. Hit maybe 2" higher up than your shot, dropped the buck and had to follow up with another shot which was a fixed head. Found the rage penetrated less than an inch through the top of a rib and into cavity. Have also spined a couple other deer with other bhs on same steep angle shots. 50lbs and no pass throughs are a bit of a handicap. If you can manage it a few more lbs will help. Good luck and keep at it.
    Worship the LORD, not HIS creation.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

Question, why are you shooting so low of poundage, can you go up?
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I'll shoot over a kids head in a blind or long gun one on a turkey in a heart beat. You want to kill stuff around me you gonna earn it.

The deer will catch the broadhead up in some briars and pull the arrow out. He will heal up and be ok.

Aim lower at him next year,.....which is what he needed.....another year.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Catdaddy; 09-25-2020 at 02:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Catdaddy View Post
    The deer will catch the broadhead up in some briars and pull the arrow out. He will heal up and be ok.

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I have found several broadheads with 5" of arrow inside body cavities of rifle shot deer. It happens. Anybody giving you static over it is clearly an idiot...
    I agree. I have dressed many deer with a broadhead inside. Ask any processor

Quote Originally Posted by Catdaddy View Post

Good one..............

Quote Originally Posted by Bigtimber2 View Post
    I agree. I have dressed many deer with a broadhead inside. Ask any processor
    Really? I’ve killed a pile and never found one. Guess it’s like killing a banded bird?
    Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Go Tigers!

Quote Originally Posted by buckpro View Post
    Question, why are you shooting so low of poundage, can you go up?
    I’m a girl and I have worked my way up to that. I turned up to 53 last year and target shooting I am fine but in the stand I struggled so turned back down. I am working all the time to get up higher though! Not as easy for us females to pull 70

Quote Originally Posted by Spur hunter View Post
    Looks like a lot of arrow sticking out on that zoomed in picture, can see what appears to be all of the manufacturer birthmark on it. Montecs are solid BHs, have killed 4 deer with same bh/arrow in a season using them. Ribs are thicker higher up there where you hit. I'd say you dead centered one and heard a crack at the shot. I did similar on a buck right under me with a 60lb bow a few years back the only time I've ever shot a rage BH. Hit maybe 2" higher up than your shot, dropped the buck and had to follow up with another shot which was a fixed head. Found the rage penetrated less than an inch through the top of a rib and into cavity. Have also spined a couple other deer with other bhs on same steep angle shots. 50lbs and no pass throughs are a bit of a handicap. If you can manage it a few more lbs will help. Good luck and keep at it.
    Thank you. My dad the same about a rib. I have spined one too on high angle close range shot. arrow went in, cracked in 3 pieces and muzzy broadhead was in the spine. Buck dropped, kicked and died right there. Peach Orchard cut it out and let me keep it

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Wow I hope I get a chance on him with muzzleloader next week. He came back last night at 10pm and the arrow seems to be hanging further out- hopefully it falls out and I see him again tonight

Quote Originally Posted by SaltMuck View Post
    Really? I’ve killed a pile and never found one. Guess it’s like killing a banded bird?
    Low county? If so less bow hunters.

Update: I have gotten some big girl arrows. Also, I’m an idiot and realized I said 100gr arrows above. I was shooting mayhem 250s with 100gr Montecs. Anyway....