Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wounded Deer

Default Wounded Deer

I want to share this story here after making the mistake of posting in a Facebook group this morning. I learned my lesson. Not looking for bashing here, trying to share and learn. Sharing to see if anyone else has experienced this and looking for any advice on my current set up.

I shot this buck three nights ago. Watch the arrow go in and the lighted nock bounce across the cutover. When I got down, never found one drop of blood. Searched all night and the next day with friends and no work. Now, I obviously see why. These pictures were last night at a different stand, 400-500 yards as the crow flies by a creek, across the cutover.

I shoot 48-50lbs, 100gr Hunter express mayhem hunter arrows with 100gr Montec G5 broadheads. I have killed several deer with this set up and I’ve never gotten a pass through. I have recovered every deer I have shot with one exception - The only time I got a pass through was on a crappy got shot a few years ago and we never found that doe. This was my first time shooting the G5’s. I was in a 15ft ladder stand shooting into an old creek bed, so in total probably 20ft down- don’t let arrow placement fool you on that, he’s obviously hit it since then, the shot was at a downward angle.

Anyway, I’m upset enough and I feel awful so please do not comment just to bash me. If you have advice or can share a similar experience, please do!!

No pic
    Member of the Tenth Legion Since 2004

Photo doesn't work. I'm not saying that 50 lbs can't kill a deer (obviously it can), but you might consider drawing more poundage or shooting a heavier arrow if you're not getting a pass through. I rarely don't get a pass through.
    Carolina Counsel

These are the pics

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I swear if I found you in a marsh I don't know that I could keep myself from mud stomping you" -Griffin

These are the pics

"I swear if I found you in a marsh I don't know that I could keep myself from mud stomping you" -Griffin

Sorry, I’m extremely technologically challenged. Pics are now above

These are the pics

Looks like the arrow deflected off close side shoulder blade and never penetrated. Deer should live to fight another day

Keep your head up chick. Things happen with sticks and strings. Looks bad and I'm sure it is painful, but hopefully you'll see him again.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Go Tigers!

Thank you, pics are here now. I’m so bad at technology, it’s embarrassing. What do you suggest working myself up to? Like I said, I have recovered every deer I’ve shot (except the gut shot) but never gotten a pass through. It is obviously a huge issue now. As far as shooting a heavier grain, I have been told at every archery shop that I have asked that for my drawing length and weight, 100gr is what I need… But I am willing to try anything because this has me sick.

At that poundage (which is fine) you need to be looking at every aspect you can to improve penetration. Mass, FOC, broadhead design, true flying arrow, etc.

Starting with arrows - I’m an axis fan, but with your poundage I would recommend the black eagle carnivore in 340 spine, then add the 100gn brass insert from BE. That’ll cover your mass and FOC.

Broadheads - a 2 blade with bleeders penetrates better than a 3 blade wedge. Iron will is top of the heap, but the mangus stingers with bleeders would serve you well and not break the bank.

YouTube a walk back tune and make sure your arrows are leaving the bow true.

Quote Originally Posted by byrdshot View Post
    Thank you, pics are here now. I’m so bad at technology, it’s embarrassing. What do you suggest working myself up to? Like I said, I have recovered every deer I’ve shot (except the gut shot) but never gotten a pass through. It is obviously a huge issue now. As far as shooting a heavier grain, I have been told at every archery shop that I have asked that for my drawing length and weight, 100gr is what I need… But I am willing to try anything because this has me sick.
    I'm not referring to the weight of your bh, I'm referring to your shaft weight. Look into some inserts and trying to get your entire arrow weight up. Take a look at the old Kinetic Energy two blades as well.
    Carolina Counsel

Looks to me like a touch high, close to no man's land. Listen to these dudes. Bowhunting is challenging and stuff happens. I shot about every broadhead out there, 2 blade expandables for me. Get some weight on your arrows and remember, they can't run forever w a hole in the pump house.

And I'd bet that wtbdare lives. Until he dies. Carry on.

Quote Originally Posted by wiz18 View Post
    At that poundage (which is fine) you need to be looking at every aspect you can to improve penetration. Mass, FOC, broadhead design, true flying arrow, etc.

Starting with arrows - I’m an axis fan, but with your poundage I would recommend the black eagle carnivore in 340 spine, then add the 100gn brass insert from BE. That’ll cover your mass and FOC.

Broadheads - a 2 blade with bleeders penetrates better than a 3 blade wedge. Iron will is top of the heap, but the mangus stingers with bleeders would serve you well and not break the bank.

YouTube a walk back tune and make sure your arrows are leaving the bow true.
    Thank you for this!!!! Will look at all of this and appreciate you taking the time for feedback

Quote Originally Posted by SaltMuck View Post
    Keep your head up chick. Things happen with sticks and strings. Looks bad and I'm sure it is painful, but hopefully you'll see him again.
    Thank you!! I really hope so.

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina Counsel View Post
    I'm not referring to the weight of your bh, I'm referring to your shaft weight. Look into some inserts and trying to get your entire arrow weight up. Take a look at the old Kinetic Energy two blades as well.
    Okay awesome. I will do that for sure. Thank you for feedback

Quote Originally Posted by coonsqualler01 View Post
    Looks to me like a touch high, close to no man's land. Listen to these dudes. Bowhunting is challenging and stuff happens. I shot about every broadhead out there, 2 blade expandables for me. Get some weight on your arrows and remember, they can't run forever w a hole in the pump house.
    Thank you for this. Yes it does look high. I was trying to breathe while shaking like a leaf!! Not much went through my mind but the thought process was at the angle, aim there, maybe the arrow would drop and if not I hoped to get more penetration at a downward angle. It was a 35 yard shot so that was not the best plan after all

Look up Ranch Fairy on the YouTube and Instagram. Also look at Dr Ashby's information.

Like the others have mentioned above. You need to increase your FOC. Don't just increase your over all weight. Add it all to the front. I'd recommend trying to get to 20 % FOC. Also you probably need to tinker with tuning your bow. There is way more to it then just going with a heavy arrow. You won't find the help you need anywhere around here in a shop.

You are pulling plenty of draw weight. Just need to work on your setup. Chin up. It happens to us all.
    "Think A Guy Like Me Worries About Percentages?" Tin Cup

"Some get spiritual cause they see the light, and some cause they feel the heat" Ray Wylie Hubbard

"P.S. I love turkeys. Mostly just hate those who hunt em." Glenn

jwilliams is offline 2th Doc's Fishing understudy

Crap happens bow hunting. ...I hate it for you, but all of us that bow hunt have been there. My guess is you have a tuning issue. 50 lbs is plenty to pass through with a montec. It's only 1 1/8" cut and penetration is something it does well. That's my best guess
    You should be pulling that arrow out of the dirt unless you hit the other shoulder.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Does Elton John know you have his shotgun?