Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Wounded Deer

Looks like arrow deflected up on a rib. Erratic arrow flight probably didn't help you.

Next time you start shopping broadheads look at the Simmons Sharks Mako. They have been great for me in the last 2-3 years. Elk and deer.

Using much heavier arrows is the answer for a lot of cures. Have had plenty of complete passthroughs on shoulders at 230fps on my old Darton. A backbone may have stopped the those arrows but the deer would have had a broken back.

You hit him high. He will likely be fine. If you don’t have the stomach for losing deer, sell your bow.
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

Quote Originally Posted by trkykilr View Post
    You hit him high. He will likely be fine. If you don’t have the stomach for losing deer, sell your bow.
    From all that is in the post and has been said on this thread, that’s what you got from it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by byrdshot View Post
    From all that is in the post and has been said on this thread, that’s what you got from it?

That’s not all I got from it. I think that anyone can continue to tweak their setup to get it as close as possible to max performance. I also think that the 50 lb draw you are shooting is far superior in performance to the McPherson that I bought from whoever those two brothers were in Sumter with the bow shop 28 years ago (I don’t feel like thinking about who they were). The deer we have in the southeast, especially over corn, are skittish as hell, and their body dropping is the rule vs the exception. You can discuss your setup until you’re blue in the face, but that deer was hit too high, and shooting 70 lbs wasn’t going to help.

For me to trust you to know what you saw with your eyes when you turned your arrow loose would be a little foolish on my part. I don’t get from your post that you’ve killed enough to know exactly what you are seeing. I didn’t read every post because I read your story, saw the pictures, and knew that there wasn’t enough KE in the world to help you with that point of impact.

ETA, I wasn’t bashing you at all. Didn’t mean to come off that way. It happens, and has happened to me in every way possible
    Last edited by trkykilr; 09-25-2020 at 06:53 PM.
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

Quote Originally Posted by trkykilr View Post
    That’s not all I got from it. I think that anyone can continue to tweak their setup to get it as close as possible to max performance. I also think that the 50 lb draw you are shooting is far superior in performance to the McPherson that I bought from whoever those two brothers were in Sumter with the bow shop 28 years ago (I don’t feel like thinking about who they were). The deer we have in the southeast, especially over corn, are skittish as hell, and their body dropping is the rule vs the exception. You can discuss your setup until you’re blue in the face, but that deer was hit too high, and shooting 70 lbs wasn’t going to help.

For me to trust you to know what you saw with your eyes when you turned your arrow loose would be a little foolish on my part. I don’t get from your post that you’ve killed enough to know exactly what you are seeing. I didn’t read every post because I read your story, saw the pictures, and knew that there wasn’t enough KE in the world to help you with that point of impact.
    Still not much to take away from this but better than “if you can’t stomach losing deer, sell your bow”. If you have more to add, I’m all ears and taking in everything from this thread. I wasn’t born Jim Shockey but I have killed a deer or two and I am still learning every day. I didn’t post here saying I know it all, I asked for feedback and I’ve gotten some solid advice above. The best thing I took from all that you said was the shot was high- I can hear that, appreciate that and work on being better next time

50 lbs is a plenty. I’ve killed a lot of deer with recurves in the high 40s and low 50s that aren’t moving an arrow anywhere near as fast as your compound. Make sure you’re getting good arrow flight, your broad heads are SHARP and aim lower. A heavy single blade broadhead may have penetrated better, but the result would likely be the same. Sparse to no blood trail and a lost deer. High hits equal lost deer. Aim low.

The only advice I have is don't ever post pics like that on FB or any other social media again!
    That was dumb as a box of rocks and asking for trouble...
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Quote Originally Posted by Calibogue View Post
    The only advice I have is don't ever post pics like that on FB or any other social media again!
    That was dumb as a box of rocks and asking for trouble...
    She’s not looking for bashing