Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 44 Ruger carbine

Default 44 Ruger carbine

Bought this gun few weeks ago, been looking for years to find one reasonably priced, not sure this one met that criteria, but oh well. Has an old red field scope 2x that is terrible, looking to replace it-has small diameter scope base that I would like to keep unless someone knows something better also. Been looking at this one, Leupold-VX-Freedom. Anybody have a recommendation or know of something that may be better In a reasonable price range. Eyes are getting worse as I get older so want a variable from 2x or so up. 356F501C-19FA-40AC-BC38-D5280AF243B5.jpg

Vx3 1.5-5 or vx3 2.5-8
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

Rp has two of them. They dont like hard cast swc’s or at least his dont and they like pretty hot loads. If yoy reload, stoke em with 270gr speers over h110
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.

I put a 1-4X28 Weaver in mine. It does alright, not exactly what I’d call accurate. I shoot JSP in mine.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Best single shot Semi auto 44 carbine ever built.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

The vx-3 1.5-5 is a good scope. I have one on my son’s rifle.

They also have a light FX-II fixed 2.5 power scope in a similar configuration.

There is a compact FX-I rimfire 4 power scope that I think is very good but not sure how it would do with .44 recoil.

jwilliams is online now 2th Doc's Fishing understudy

Quote Originally Posted by nitro5x6's View Post
    Best single shot Semi auto 44 carbine ever built.
    hahaha...mine isn't a single shot...Iron sights best for that weapon. i have smoked quite a few chops with mine
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Does Elton John know you have his shotgun?

I have a fixed 4x on mine. Works great.

Eurooptic has Nikon P-tactical and M-tactical scopes in the 1-4 power range for between $139 and $179.

Not dure how the reticles are on those models. I have a Prostaff and while it is a good scope, the reticle is narrow and doesn’t show up well on a black target.

I had a Leupold 4x33 on one for a while as well as a Leupold 2.5x20.

Great little rifles. Fun to be able to hear the bullet smack the pig.

Good buy.

I love mine.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

They do not like anything other than a jacketed bullet. The lead from non jacketed bullets fills up the gas port.

Both of mine are the older model with the tubular magazine. Fun to shoot.

One of mine has a low power scope and the other is irons but I am changing the latter for my aging eyes.
    It's not enough to simply tolerate the 2nd Amendment as an antiquated inconvenience. Caring for the 2nd Amendment means fighting to restore long lost rights.

They do not like anything other than a jacketed bullet. The lead from non jacketed bullets fills up the gas port.

Both of mine are the older model with the tubular magazine. Fun to shoot.

One of mine has a low power scope and the other is irons but I am changing the latter for my aging eyes.
    It's not enough to simply tolerate the 2nd Amendment as an antiquated inconvenience. Caring for the 2nd Amendment means fighting to restore long lost rights.

I've got a Pentax Lightseeker 2-7x32 scope, or a Bausch & Lomb or Bushnell Elite 3-9x40 I can make available if any of those meet your needs/desires. All three are 1" scope tubes so they should fit those rings if you choose to keep them on the rifle.

Just let me know.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

I wouldn't think you'd need much in glass because you ain't gonna be shooting far with it. I toted one of those as a young kid for a short while. Had an uncle that used one a good bit and had it dialed in with hand loads, like a 285gr round nose if memory serves. Functioned well but do recall issue with safety having become too easy to push off and needed some work. Was badass stuff in the '80s and the epitome of a deer hunter in my eyes then. I robbed the picture below off the old pin board at deer camp after my other uncle passed away and the place was finally shut down. That was deer camp and I feel sorry for folks that don't have the opportunity to experience it. Sorry for the thread hijack but those old guns pull back some memories.
    Worship the LORD, not HIS creation.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

Quote Originally Posted by rp View Post
    Be religious about this...

Not traditional, but it would be cool with a MRDS like a Holosun, Trijicon, or Leupold.

Keep watching the stock for hairline cracks ahead of the mag well. The wood is real thin there.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

love 44 rifles. I use a ruger 77/44 as one of my go to rifles. Perfect kids gun, no recoil (easily less than a 410) , low noise and to 100 yds it hammers deer and pigs. I wouldn't let a young'un shoot much further than that anyway.

My best friend and I went down the Ruger Deerstalker road. Hit the embankment when they failed to function. We both still own our Marlin 1894s in 44 Mag. Those rifles worked pretty well. Mine has a 4X Leupold on it and I shoot Remington 240 grain JSPs from it exclusively. For a close range woods rifle, they are adequate.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Quote Originally Posted by Swamp Rat View Post
    Keep watching the stock for hairline cracks ahead of the mag well. The wood is real thin there.
    Tell me about it. I broke mine in half over the head of one of Gert's pitbulls...