Thread: Looking for advice

Default Looking for advice

I’ve been duck hunting for the bast couple of years, mostly shooting wood ducks and the occasional merganser in swamps and ponds. But I’m wanting to try and kill some big ducks. I’m not looking for anyone’s honey holes or anything like that, I’m just looking for advice and tips. I live in the middle of the state and can travel without a problem. I’m willing to put in the work and scout and find my own ducks but I needs some help. What is the best way to go about scouting ducks? What type of areas should I target? Open water, timber or marsh? What different types of ducks should I include in my decoy spreads? Mallard, gadwall, teal, wood duck? Information of this nature is what I’m looking for. If there is anyone that needs a hunting partner and would be willing to teach me how to hunt the limited about of big ducks in sc let me know, I have a boat with a blind and can travel. Thanks for any help.

Boy did you come to the wrong place.

The lakes are your best best or try some wmas but if you hunt public...get ready for a shit show and getting up REALLLLL early to save a spot that will be surrounded by 20 other boats.STICK TO WOOD DUCKS UNLESS YOU OWN A DUCK POND.If you're really willing to go gun ho you'll probably need majority ringneck decoys but most duck ponds around here are filled with mostly ringnecks,green winged teal,shovelers,wigeon,gadwall,and tame mallards.
    Last edited by Coot_Commander; 09-23-2020 at 08:22 PM.

Only way to find ducks is put in the time. Gotta put in the boot leather. Put a lot of miles on your boat and truck. Spend as much time as you can on any and every body of water. Duck hunting S.C. isn’t easy. Walk in to WMAs. Get your boat in skinny creeks and push the limits. Hit big water. Really the name of the game is to put in the work. There’s no easy way to kill ducks if you don’t have a private impoundment. Put in the work, cut your teeth, you’ll get frustrated, but when you have a good hunt it’ll be worth it.

Yeah what they all said. Big ducks can be killed on public water in S.C. but it’s not easy. Hunt any weather/fronts and scout and then scout some more. Oh and by scout I don’t mean driving a mud boat through Broken rice fields For hours on end running birds.
    More Ducks, Less People

Head West young man.
    "Think A Guy Like Me Worries About Percentages?" Tin Cup

"Some get spiritual cause they see the light, and some cause they feel the heat" Ray Wylie Hubbard

"P.S. I love turkeys. Mostly just hate those who hunt em." Glenn

Follow JBK advice or go shoot tamies to get it outta your system. Juice ain't worth the squeeze on public these days.
    Low country redneck who moved north

I hunted hard with friends all over the midlands back in the 90's when I first got hooked on duck hunting; we worked our asses off hunting any and all available waterholes and creeks. I think my bud killed two big ducks one morning on a river when it got super freaking cold. I worked my ass off trying to get on ducks again from 2001 thru 2010. I ran into big ducks twice on public water, and they were SCWA clipped toe bandits. Like the above folks said...its difficult. Find you as many woodie holes as possible, and be thankful that the limit is 3...in all my years there, it was 2. Save all the money you would spend trying to find big ducks in SC, and come to Wyoming or Colorado or Nebraska for a couple of weeks each year and drive home with a truck full of various big ducks and a boatload of memories.
    “I can’t wait ‘till I’m grown” is the stupidest @!#* I ever said!

Possible but hard to do consistently unless you have plenty of time and money for fuel.

Ride until you find them. All of the habitats you listed have birds.