Thread: Hunting safety harness

Default Hunting safety harness

So, it's time to replace the ol HSS harness.....

What's the latest and greatest with harnesses these days? Pros/cons, etc.

Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Please support March of Dimes

www.marchforbabies.org/MadelineRai

If I needed a new one I’d probably buy a muddy

Rock climbing harness
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck the Duck Slayer View Post
    Rock climbing harness
    X100

Quote Originally Posted by 3 1/2" MAGUM View Post
    X100
    Examples?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

jwilliams is offline 2th Doc's Fishing understudy

What makes those better? Curious

Those are where I bought mine from before moving to a saddle. Just preference really. Way more comfortable than traditional harnesses and not as dangerous in my opinion.
    Last edited by Chuck the Duck Slayer; 09-22-2020 at 06:56 PM.

Muddy

Climbing harness. If you fall, you hang from the front, facing the tree, not from your back. That makes recovery easier.

It's way more comfortable both in the stand and walking around. It doesn't get in the way of your binocular harness or jackets, rifle slings, etc.

https://www.backcountry.com/Store/ca...C+Diamond&nf=1

Connect a safety line like this to it and you can adjust the length of your attachment for climbing, sitting or use it as a lineman's loop for hanging stands.

https://www.gnarlygorilla.com/Muddy-...=c&placement=&[value]&feeditemid=&targetid=pla-4576717160628446&adposition=&msclkid=1d7ea7bdb0f91 aa7beeff8d727ae9445&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc &utm_campaign=**LP%20Shopping%20-%2020.01%20-%2025.00&utm_term=4576717160628446&utm_content=G-Z-MSA070%20%7C%20Muddy%20Safety%20Harness%20Lineman% 27s%20-%20Rope%20W%2Fcarabiner%20%26%20Prusik%20Knot%20%7 C%20%2420.15

Both of those are liable to leave you hanging upside down in a fall

If a man is alone in the woods, says something, and a woman does not hear, is he still wrong?

Bipartisan usually means that a larger-than-usual deception is being carried out. —George Carlin

Common sense is not a gift. It's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone else who doesn't have it.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    Climbing harness. If you fall, you hang from the front, facing the tree, not from your back. That makes recovery easier.

It's way more comfortable both in the stand and walking around. It doesn't get in the way of your binocular harness or jackets, rifle slings, etc.

https://www.backcountry.com/Store/ca...C+Diamond&nf=1

Connect a safety line like this to it and you can adjust the length of your attachment for climbing, sitting or use it as a lineman's loop for hanging stands.

https://www.gnarlygorilla.com/Muddy-...=c&placement=&[value]&feeditemid=&targetid=pla-4576717160628446&adposition=&msclkid=1d7ea7bdb0f91 aa7beeff8d727ae9445&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc &utm_campaign=**LP%20Shopping%20-%2020.01%20-%2025.00&utm_term=4576717160628446&utm_content=G-Z-MSA070%20%7C%20Muddy%20Safety%20Harness%20Lineman% 27s%20-%20Rope%20W%2Fcarabiner%20%26%20Prusik%20Knot%20%7 C%20%2420.15
    Yes
    "You are Citadel Men, you have no pension for failure, you wear the Ring, you never let a friend down, you will be good fathers, husbands, and leaders in the armed forces and industry, you are strong in heart, body, and mind. You protect such things as Honor and Fidelity. Your virtues matter not only in wealth, but in the richness of family, you are the last of the knights."
    - late President Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by mello_collins View Post
    Both of those are liable to leave you hanging upside down in a fall
    Hasn't happened to me in all the times I've tried to do it.

I've had a couple different HSS models and the micro Tree Spider. Mine is a Black Diamond and I found it to be more comfortable and minimalistic. It's a small thing, but taking off and putting on jackets/shirts is so much easier with the climber. Tether placement and length is highly adjustable. I recommend getting a Ropeman 1, a quality carabiner and climbing rope (for the tether) with some give. REI would be a good place to start. Practice in the yard to get an idea of how you prefer to it setup. 20' off the ground is not the time to try to figure stuff out. In all my messing around, not once did I feel like I was going to flip over and I was always facing the tree after a fall.

Or

Just buy a tree saddle.

Mike

Good good info here. thanks for the replies

One thing I’d add is to make sure the harness has a relief strap. If you ever do fall, you can die fro suspension trauma. Being able to take that pressure off your groin and move your legs will increase your chances of survival if you have to hang for a significant amount of time.

While I’m at it, another consideration is keeping cell phone in a shirt pocket or secured to the harness. If you fall and need help you won’t be getting it out of a pants pocket.

And an utility knife to cut the rope in case you need to do an old Baker Stand descent.