Thread: What to do with small home garden after the season

Default What to do with small home garden after the season

Not really a farmer at all but like most folks I can make some good looking food plots but vegetable gardening is a different thing to me

This past fall I had 2 water oak trees cut down in back yard and stumps ground so this spring I tilled it all up , portion of this area was old dog kennel where my 2 labs stayed in. I planted some various tomato plants, peppers and couple cucumber plants

This morning I picked reminder of tomatoes, pulled cages down and pulled up all plants

This area is section off by railroad times to keep grass out

Is there anything I need or can do now to prepare for next spring

Do I lime it and till it up or just apply fertilizer to it and let it sit

Tomatoes did ok, some plants better than others but I think part of it was not enough sun and maybe some what crowded.

I planted Better Boys, cherry tomatoes, roma’s. The Cherry tomatoes did great and the others so so . Cucumbers were plentiful , will just plant 1 cucumber plant next year

Really do not want ot add manure since we live in neighborhood and wife and neighbors might not like the smell (smell will not bother me since I have zero sense of smell LOL)

Figured so sure enough farmers on here could give me a little guidance

Thanks in advance

Turn the dirt over once a month maybe add lime in January.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Conservation means the wise use of the earth and its resources for the lasting good of men. -Gifford Pinchot

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

Fertilize and Plant collards, turnip greens, and cabbage.

Quote Originally Posted by Smilee View Post
    Fertilize and Plant collards, turnip greens, and cabbage.
    This. Dentaldog loves cabbage.
    Quote Originally Posted by walt4dun View Post
    Monsters... Be damned if I'd ever be taken alive by the likes of faggot musslims.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I am an equal opportunity hater.

We eating spinach and tender green now. Good for you and easy, Plant asap
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Soil test? Lime according to soil test. Then you can either plant a fall crop, plant a cover crop to help amend poor soil, OR, just cover until spring (old carpet rolls, conveyer belt,anything to suppress weed growth).

I would think your best investment would be a cover crop to till in come springtime and start looking for composted manure or bulk compost to till under later. My guess is you're in pretty dead soil....