Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 32

Thread: Cooper River

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Charleston
    Posts
    216

    Default Cooper River

    Have a middle coastal tag, but not much time to scout. Don't want anyone's honey hole, but looking for recommendations for which landing to put in on the Cooper. Thinking of Cypress Gardens vs Bushy Park?
    Thanks

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    In the middle of it
    Posts
    7,237

    Default

    I dunno about any of that, but are you saying that people are getting tight lipped about gators now?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    24,151

    Default

    Bushy Park

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Petaluma CA / Moncks Corner SC
    Posts
    3,820

    Default

    I’d be headed to the area around Pimlico. There’s a beast that has been hanging out in the ricefield across from the Pimlico boat landing. You’d have to launch at Cypress Gardens though. I’d let you in at the Pimlico ramp but we have already moved back to California.
    Living in Moncks Corner but looking forward to moving back to the West Coast in 2020 where there are more ducks and less duck hunters!! LOL

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    East Cooper
    Posts
    1,720

    Default

    2hrs either side of low tide. Check goose creek, yellow house & work north. Plenty of big ones in both. Shoot me a pm if you want more info, help etc. I got a landing on the Cooper by my house.
    Last edited by Tugted312; 09-21-2020 at 09:35 AM.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    East Cooper
    Posts
    1,720

    Default

    Anyone got a tag they need help with I’m home till the 7th.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Summerville
    Posts
    5,553

    Default

    There is a growed one right here. 12-13'

    Screenshot_20201002-164057_Maps.jpg

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    East Cooper
    Posts
    1,720

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jws View Post
    There is a growed one right here. 12-13'

    Screenshot_20201002-164057_Maps.jpg
    Killed a 126 there a few years back same area

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Charleston
    Posts
    216

    Default

    Thank you. I will check it out. Struggling, getting down to the wire.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Charleston
    Posts
    216

    Default

    How much clearance under all those bridges coming from the main cooper river? Is bushy park the closest landing?

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Sullivan\'s Island
    Posts
    11,687

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by acebasinman View Post
    How much clearance under all those bridges coming from the main cooper river? Is bushy park the closest landing?
    The closest landing is Virginia Ave. Park almost under the I-526 bridge but I'd be nervous about leaving a car there at night and the creek out to the river gets really shallow at low tide. Also know that as you go in Goose Creek, the Naval Weapons Station is the pretty land on both sides. They have patrol boats and may want to check you, out especially at night. If they do, don't make any sudden movements.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Charleston
    Posts
    216

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    The closest landing is Virginia Ave. Park almost under the I-526 bridge but I'd be nervous about leaving a car there at night and the creek out to the river gets really shallow at low tide. Also know that as you go in Goose Creek, the Naval Weapons Station is the pretty land on both sides. They have patrol boats and may want to check you, out especially at night. If they do, don't make any sudden movements.
    Thank you. I have a flats boat with poling platform and leaning bar that extend about 7ft off the deck. Think I'll be able to get under the bridges?
    Thanks

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Summerville
    Posts
    129

    Default

    You’ll be fine.

    ~LB

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Moncks Corner
    Posts
    14,362

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by acebasinman View Post
    Thank you. I have a flats boat with poling platform and leaning bar that extend about 7ft off the deck. Think I'll be able to get under the bridges?
    Thanks
    Yes there is probably enough clearance under the 526 bridge unless you have a very, very tall poling platform. Do not use the saltwater side of Bushy Park - it is unuseable for all but about the highest couple of hours of a tide cycle...

    There are very large signs above and below the Weapons Station. You probably shouldn't plan on hunting anywhere in the main channel between those signs if you hook a gator prior to being "talked to" you'll probably have to cut him off anyways. "They" are usually okay with folks fishing/hunter in the creeks as long as you're not in sight of the submarines.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9



    Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Charleston
    Posts
    216

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rubberhead* View Post
    Yes there is probably enough clearance under the 526 bridge unless you have a very, very tall poling platform. Do not use the saltwater side of Bushy Park - it is unuseable for all but about the highest couple of hours of a tide cycle...

    There are very large signs above and below the Weapons Station. You probably shouldn't plan on hunting anywhere in the main channel between those signs if you hook a gator prior to being "talked to" you'll probably have to cut him off anyways. "They" are usually okay with folks fishing/hunter in the creeks as long as you're not in sight of the submarines.
    Thank you. I am more concerned with the bridges over goose creek like Wilkinson way and N. Rhett and the railroad. Any idea what the clearance is on those bridges?

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Sullivan\'s Island
    Posts
    11,687

    Default

    You may want to check city boundaries and ordinances before you fire a pistol to quiet a gator right off of Yeaman's Hall Rd.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Moncks Corner
    Posts
    14,362

    Default

    Yep - sorry - I should have responded sooner. I really don't know the legality of gator hunting in those areas. I don't recall ever going under any of those bridges but I did look back in time on Google Earth and can see several bigger boats in those creeks so I assume you'd be fine.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9



    Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Summerville
    Posts
    5,553

    Default

    There are twin engine boats at those docks along that creek so I know he would be fine in there. I have no idea about legalities, you will need to do your own homework there. I just saw a monster sitting there the other day when I drove by. I've seen him multiple times there so I know he stays in that area.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Charleston
    Posts
    216

    Default

    Thanks for the info. I went yesterday with my Dad. You have to go under a railroad trestle right after putting in at Virginia Avenue, and we couldn't get back under that after the tide came up, so long story short my old man had to walk the trestle and jump a fence to get back to the landing, I take the boat all the way around the harbor to meet him and get it on the trailer. Funny to me that no one had cut a hole in that defunct trestle, would be an easy job. Dad got to the "park"/landing at Virginia avenue about 15 minutes before me yesterday morning and said several single males were in the park and "smiling" at him, ha ha (not there's anything wrong with that). We did see a GIANT gator way up the creek just below the reservoir. We glassed him from two hundred yards or so basking up on the bank. He slid in the water and we idled up and sat there for two hours. Never saw him again, don't know what he did, heartbreaker. Hope to try one more time but the landing situation is trifling. Can't get to Virginia avenue at high tide, can't get to Bushy park at low tide. There is a super shady looking apartment complex with a small ramp right in the perfect spot on goose creek but it is private and SHADY looking, though tempting.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    East Cooper
    Posts
    1,720

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    You may want to check city boundaries and ordinances before you fire a pistol to quiet a gator right off of Yeaman's Hall Rd.
    Shot one there with a gun. No big deal. It’s on the reservoir that it’s an issue

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •