Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tar River SAYA 505 no till

Default Tar River SAYA 505 no till

After doing a lot of research I settled on the Tar River SAYA 505. It is a light duty no till drill. It fits my tractor and it was wayyyyyy under budget. No one in SC, PA, GA, AL, or TN had one in stock. They weren’t expecting them until late dec early Jan. I found a place in Vale, NC that had one left. Everywhere else was asking between $4800-$5300 for the 505. West End sales in Vale had it for $4495 out the door. They make another model called the SAYA 507. It is 1450lbs with a 78” planting width. I’ve seen those from
    $5000 to $6500.

It weighs 1000lbs and has a 55” planting width. Large and small stainless seed boxes. All ground driven. I plan on keeping this post updated with results of it. I plan on planting some oats at the house today. I will keep this post going with results of different blends and seeds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s always a fun day getting new equipment.

Nice!

I have driven up there and purchased implements from them before. They also trailered a grain drill down to my local auction yard for me to pick up (after paying over the phone) because they were planning on driving down empty to return with a trailer full of equipment. Great folks to deal with.

That things pretty badass
    Quote Originally Posted by trkykilr View Post
    A man learns a lot about himself in a thicket with a big hog. That dog already knows all he needs to know about himself.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Planted three test spots at the house yesterday and planted about 8 acres of food plots today.

It worked like it was suppose to. Not a big fan of the seed tubes. They are plastic corrugated then to a rubber corrugated tube. Had some issues with the seeds getting caught and stopping up the tube. Going to change those out this week to a clear rubber tube.

very nice boomer!
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

supposed to put your cig on top of your ear= not in your ear hole

Thats alright right there. I like it
    I am a nobody, that met somebody, that can save anybody.

What is the minimum HP requirement?

Following

Quote Originally Posted by TennDan View Post
    What is the minimum HP requirement?
    30HP I believe. It weighs around 1000lbs empty.

Interesting.....what kind of depth are you getting out of the coulters and disc openers?
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Pro tip......notillage planting works better when the ground is softened a bit from some moisture.
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Quote Originally Posted by Calibogue View Post
    Pro tip......notillage planting works better when the ground is softened a bit from some moisture.
    On the extremely hard packed stuff, 1/2”. 1-1.5” on majority of the stuff I planted. The plots at the house had 100lbs of seed in it. The bigger food plots started off with a full hopper. We had a good bit of rain last week so most of the stuff had good moisture.

Sweet....glad that drill is working out for you!
    Keep us posted, I'd love to see some more pics as things progress.
    How's the seed calibration process being ground driven, should be pretty accurate I suspect?

I have about 30 acres of fall / winter plots to go, bring it on down to really break it in kuz. Can pay in Rl26. Looks sharp to me.
    Genesis 9;2

Quote Originally Posted by Calibogue View Post
    Sweet....glad that drill is working out for you!
    Keep us posted, I'd love to see some more pics as things progress.
    How's the seed calibration process being ground driven, should be pretty accurate I suspect?
    It isn’t bad. It takes some math to figure out lbs per acre but I’ve gotten it pretty close to what I am wanting to plant per acre. The first stand of oats came up pretty good. It was a little sparse but still looked good. Those were feed oats. I am still looking at ideas to help with coverage. Wet hard packed soil doesn’t quite cover as well as worked soil. I have new tubing in for the seed drops. Replaced one as a test tube and it never stopped up. All the test plots at the house got washed out with the rain.

Yesterday we sprayed all the plots with round up and I came back an planted winter peas mixed with oats and then crimson clover in the small seed box. Hopefully I’ll have some pics in a few weeks. The one plot I really wanted to get pics and test was an acre of standing cowpeas.

I’m sure there are several on here that would know far more than me, but I’ve had less hiccups drilling a mix of wheat and rye grain as opposed to oats. The 2 round seeds feed And meter in the drill better than long oat seeds.

Again - I rent a drill for a few days and drill less than 30ac per year for food plots, then fertilize to a soil sample, So I’m far from someone that does it for a living.

But strictly for a deer food plot I’ve had better results from a wheat/rye 50/50 mix than oats. Places I can’t get the drill I disc then broadcast oats.

That drill is certainly badass. Heck of a piece of equipment.

Default Tar River SAYA 505 no till

Quote Originally Posted by wiz18 View Post
    I’m sure there are several on here that would know far more than me, but I’ve had less hiccups drilling a mix of wheat and rye grain as opposed to oats. The 2 round seeds feed And meter in the drill better than long oat seeds.

Again - I rent a drill for a few days and drill less than 30ac per year for food plots, then fertilize to a soil sample, So I’m far from someone that does it for a living.

But strictly for a deer food plot I’ve had better results from a wheat/rye 50/50 mix than oats. Places I can’t get the drill I disc then broadcast oats.

That drill is certainly badass. Heck of a piece of equipment.
    We initially thought the same thing. We weren’t sure if we are gonna get a good even mix of both. One a well mixed hopper, on a sample bag, we are getting a 50/50 to 60/40 mix.

If the oats and beans aren’t mixed together, than it’s usually whatever is in the hopper first. We mix them outside of the hopper than pour in. My large seed hopper also has a shaft with fingers that helps keep everything mixed vs the beans slowly falling to the bottom.

Last edited by b-stick; 10-04-2020 at 07:17 PM.