Thread: Jon boat trailer axle

Default Jon boat trailer axle

Have any of you replaced a straight axle on a jon boat trailer recently? My axle ends are rusted and pitted, making it impossible to get the correctly-sized hub (1") back onto it. I know I can sand/grind down the imperfections and "make it work", but I worry about having my bearings roll on a surface that is pitted and uneven. I was looking to replace the straight axle with something like this:

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...SABEgKP1vD_BwE

The boat will be used primarily in brackish and salt water.

I am looking for advice or leads as to the correct and/or most economic way to solve this issue.

Thanks,
    Bo
    Never confuse enthusiasm for capability

You could get the spindles cut out and new ones welded in.

As long as axle is the exact length you need, it's cheap and easy to just swap them. My Wesco needs an oddly sized axle that is 1.5" off the closest standard Northern Tool or Agri Supply axle. Looks right until you lower the boat and the tires bow out and rub.
    Last edited by WNM; 09-17-2020 at 05:07 PM.

I used to fuck with boat trailers in the interest of saving money but then I realized my time is worth something so I take it to The Trailer Shop and pick it up when Tommy calls.

But no I wouldnt clean those spindles and put hubs back on them. It will leave you somewhere not close to home.
    cut\'em

I bought an axle when I was in Texas from Northern Tool. It might be the same as the one in your link. Super easy to replace. I went ahead and replaced the leaf springs, ubolts, and hubs along with it. Drove it back to Charleston from Texas with no issues. I would highly recommend replacing the spindles at the very least. There is a certain point where if you try to save too much money on a fix, its just going to cost you more...quick.

Tommy Stone at the Trailer Shop is the best in the business.

I have a whole axle / hub / Leaf spring assembly in the trading post, let me find it. Price negotiable

https://scducks.com/forum/showthread...and-misc-parts
    Last edited by BET; 09-17-2020 at 07:20 PM.

I also bought one at northern tool many years ago. It was galvanized.