Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fruit Trees

This is what my neighbor has. Not sure about the China 9. Sounds too Covid 19 for me.

Satsuma Mandarin Plants (hardy):Toby Parker of Turbeville, SC admires another bumper crop of satsumas at his residence. Toby actually ships fruit to friends in Arkansas every year! Other types of satsumas available are miyagawa, dobashi beni, okitsu, Mr Mac,and a new release from China called China 9.

Price is 20 dollars per 1 gallon tree

First year they sleep, second year they creep, third year they leap.. We do figs and pears.. looking at getting some blueberries to add.
    “Get out among the mountains and trees, friend, as soon as you can. They will do more for you than either man or woman could.” Theodore Roosevelt to John Muir after his wife's passing in 1905.

Quote Originally Posted by Hosscat View Post
    Plant trees and bushes in late fall, early winter for best root development and to reduce stress. You’re in a location where just about anything can grow easily except for citrus (reliably). Be aware most fruit species require full sun. Blueberries are easy. I would avoid peaches and nectarines. Look for varieties that have low chilling hour requirements for our climate and hardiness zone.

hgic.clemson.edu is your friend. Also check with your county horticulture extension agent. If you’re in Richland or Kershaw County you should contact Jackie Jordan. Lexington County is Justin Ballew. If not, you can find your horticulture agent here: www.clemson.edu/extension/co/index.html
    Great info. Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by hickory View Post
    I bought a few pear and peach trees from McKenzie farms in Scranton this past year that are doing well in their first year. They were on sale for 3 for $25. Owner Stan McKenzie is extremely knowledgeable, happy to share that knowledge, and really passionate about his plants. My neighbor planted some citrus (some kind of large oranges) about 5 years ago that have done well and are no doubt the best orange I've ever eaten. Stan grafts different citrus tops with bases to make them more tolerant to cold (vs FL) and specifically to successfully survive and grow in SC. His website has a lot to be desired, but you can also check him out on Facebook. Worth the drive.
    https://www.facebook.com/McKenzie-Fa...74405135904728
    http://mckenzie-farms.com/photo.htm
    Definitely sounds with the drive. Interesting about the citrus grafting. Kids would love to have oranges. I'll have to investigate that further. Is Stan your neighbor, or your neighbor got the citrus he planted from Stan that had already been grafted?
    Last edited by everlast; 09-17-2020 at 04:50 AM.
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”
    -Samuel Adams

avacado is covered in deep freezes. this is year three and the first year we made fruit. it is potted. I am considering putting it in the ground.

i dont fertilize. pruning (and timing of said pruning) is key.

Pear trees at farm are 15 years old?? Gbelly may remember better than me. They need some pruning but sure do self-prune when they make a lot of fruit.

meyer lemons are the easiest. Even MolliesMaster could handle that....
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

I talked you into the meyer lemons, mine got destroyed.. I blame moving and building houses, and my disdain for the satan daggers that they are adorned with.. but they're yummy.

So far so good with my lemons, thanks 2th.

I see a bunch of pear talk but what about apples?
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

Apples ( and pears ) need chill hours. Quite a few hours... After 5th leaf, you can get a good pruning program going. Prune in the winter when the trees are dormant. Blooms are off new wood every spring and that is what gives you fruit production. Need bees for pollination of course.

One reason that apples and pears don't do great in the South is temperature swing at fruit maturity. Need about 30 degrees between high and low for starch to sugar conversion.

Warm/ Hot days with some 25-30 degree evening cool off is optimal. That equals elevation ( which most areas of the South don't have). High humidity ( like we have here) makes fruit soft.. Won't get too many super crisp, hard apples in this region. Full sun as mentioned is what Fruit trees need. In the South, you will battle fungus. That can be managed with chem and a sprayer.

Pruning? Jan or Feb whenever you have a solid week or two of the coldest temps. Try to take off Crown wood and not too much of the lower limb growth. After the vigor a young tree will have in the first 4-5 years, prune the crown to get the tree to put it's energy into producing fruit and not wood. Think about harvest from the ground. Ladders suck.

For fruit size, In late Spring once the blooms are set and have starting putting out Apples or pears ( whatever you are growing), You can hand thin and pull off the smallest fruit to gain size on what the tree produces. Spraying on liquid Sevin also will do the job, but in a home orchard, it's a simple matter to thin without chemicals.

Toof, I have some Bartlett trees at my WA place that are over 80 years old and still produce. When they are laden with fruit, we put tomato stakes or staves under the limbs to support them. It's labor intense, but man is a Bartlett worth the effort.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Stan is the grower. My neighbor is Frank, the weather guy in Myrtle Beach. We live in Pawleys. Frank has Christmas light (the big bulb kind) wrapped around his citrus trees for when we have a heavy frost, which apparently has worked and beats having to cover everything. Stan could probably give more tips on that also.

Quote Originally Posted by everlast View Post
    Great info. Thank you

Definitely sounds with the drive. Interesting about the citrus grafting. Kids would love to have oranges. I'll have to investigate that further. Is Stan your neighbor, or your neighbor got the citrus he planted from Stan that had already been grafted?