Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fruit Trees

Default Fruit Trees

What you got? What grows well around here? What time of year is best to plant/transfer, if that matters? how long until each produce? Whats good for people, whats good for animals (chicken, pigs, goats, deer)?

Anything to avoid, like planting certain ones too close to house? I'm thinking about rotting fruit and flies.

preesh
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”
    -Samuel Adams

Peach, pear, plum is what I've planted.
    Have apple trees too, don't know what kind. They re ok but most of em go to the deer.

I nearly spring, late winter is best time to transplant but I've done it all months of the year with good results. I've bought several in late summer at nurseries because they were marked way down.
    If you have any cedar trees look into cedar apple rust and plant pears and apples accordingly....

Figs!!!! I love figs and have several trees.
    Tight Lines

If I could I’d have multiple fig trees. I’d like to throw some grape vines up at some point too.
    Sea Ark 1542 w/ Yamaha 40
    Xpress 16 w/ 50 Hammer
    War Eagle 15 w/ 30 Hammer

--------------------------------------------------

"Sometimes you gotta grab the bull by the horns and the women by the tits and take charge in your life" - General Patton

"I'm very drunk and I intend on getting still drunker before this evening's over."
    - Rhett Butler

Following along.

I plan to do some apple and fig trees this winter.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

I've got Kiefer pears, Bartlet pears, and just planted a couple fig trees this year. I got talked out of planting peach trees because they take a bunch of care to keep producing.

The Kiefer gets so laden with fruit it tries to break its limbs. The Bartlet only puts out a few pears and the critters usually beat me to them.

I found a few persimmon trees that are producing and I'm trying to keep them fertilized and considering cutting trees around them to give them more light.

The figs have only been in the ground a couple months but I got a couple figs off of one already.

This winter, I'm going to move some old established grape vines to a better spot.

what kind of grapes for this area? muscadine and scuppernong?
    Last edited by everlast; 09-16-2020 at 10:12 AM.
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”
    -Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    I've got Kiefer pears, Bartlet pears, and just planted a couple fig trees this year. I got talked out of planting peach trees because they take a bunch of care to keep producing.

The Kiefer gets so laden with fruit it tries to break its limbs. The Bartlet only puts out a few pears and the critters usually beat me to them.

I found a few persimmon trees that are producing and I'm trying to keep them fertilized and considering cutting trees around them to give them more light.

The figs have only been in the ground a couple months but I got a couple figs off of one already.

This winter, I'm going to move some old established grape vines to a better spot.
    Were the figs ripe? We put ours in the ground December of 2018 and the few figs it produced never ripened.
    Sea Ark 1542 w/ Yamaha 40
    Xpress 16 w/ 50 Hammer
    War Eagle 15 w/ 30 Hammer

--------------------------------------------------

"Sometimes you gotta grab the bull by the horns and the women by the tits and take charge in your life" - General Patton

"I'm very drunk and I intend on getting still drunker before this evening's over."
    - Rhett Butler

Pears are really solid, grapes and such, blueberries, black berries, and things of that nature. Figs would be a must. we grown some of those jujubes, dates.. I kinda enjoy them when they get ripe, and paw paws.

muscadines
    scuppernongs are green

i have lemons, pears, apples, avacados, and key limes.
    i am looking to start my grapes following tater's version.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

While on the topic... What do some of yall do to care for the trees you have?
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

Fertilizer, and a few have limbs cut as to where we can get a tractor somewhat closer to them.. that's on the farm or swamp, whatever we call it

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    muscadines
    scuppernongs are green

i have lemons, pears, apples, avacados, and key limes.
    i am looking to start my grapes following tater's version.
    Do the avocados require a greenhouse?
    -Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    Pears are really solid, grapes and such, blueberries, black berries, and things of that nature. Figs would be a must. we grown some of those jujubes, dates.. I kinda enjoy them when they get ripe, and paw paws.
    Jujubes and pawpaws. Now it's a party
    -Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Buckin Bronco View Post
    Were the figs ripe? We put ours in the ground December of 2018 and the few figs it produced never ripened.
    One little bush had 7 figs. It's in a remote field that I don't check on regularly. The next time I went by, there was one lone fig and it was ripe and delicious. I think I planted my figs around May or June this year.

Where is “around here?”

Midlands
    -Samuel Adams

Default Fruit Trees

Plant trees and bushes in late fall, early winter for best root development and to reduce stress. You’re in a location where just about anything can grow easily except for citrus (reliably). Be aware most fruit species require full sun. Blueberries are easy. I would avoid peaches and nectarines. Look for varieties that have low chilling hour requirements for our climate and hardiness zone.

hgic.clemson.edu is your friend. Also check with your county horticulture extension agent. If you’re in Richland or Kershaw County you should contact Jackie Jordan. Lexington County is Justin Ballew. If not, you can find your horticulture agent here: www.clemson.edu/extension/co/index.html
    Last edited by Hosscat; 09-16-2020 at 06:12 PM.

I bought a few pear and peach trees from McKenzie farms in Scranton this past year that are doing well in their first year. They were on sale for 3 for $25. Owner Stan McKenzie is extremely knowledgeable, happy to share that knowledge, and really passionate about his plants. My neighbor planted some citrus (some kind of large oranges) about 5 years ago that have done well and are no doubt the best orange I've ever eaten. Stan grafts different citrus tops with bases to make them more tolerant to cold (vs FL) and specifically to successfully survive and grow in SC. His website has a lot to be desired, but you can also check him out on Facebook. Worth the drive.
    https://www.facebook.com/McKenzie-Fa...74405135904728
    http://mckenzie-farms.com/photo.htm