Thread: Public Doves Fields

Default Public Doves Fields

Since going Saturday my son is fired up and wants to go again. I’ve never been to a public field. Not looking for specific info just general info. I’m assuming they are packed. How early do I need to get there? PM me if better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The public fields around here are usually pretty empty by the third Saturday of the season. You can pretty much pick your spot since all the birds got killed the first Saturday and any stragglers were picked off the second shoot.
    "My resume is the trail of destruction behind me. " Bucky Katt

Quote Originally Posted by flockbuster View Post
    The public fields around here are usually pretty empty by the third Saturday of the season. You can pretty much pick your spot since all the birds got killed the first Saturday and any stragglers were picked off the second shoot.
    So waste of time?

I’d rather not shoot birds than go to another one.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post
    I’d rather not shoot birds than go to another one.
    Ha well I guess that settles it

I’ve had some great hunts and seen some shit shows. If you can scout out the field prior to the hunt and you’ll know right away if it’s worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by b35w View Post
    So waste of time?

Not necessarily. Sometimes there are a few birds, just don't expect a barn burner. If you can scout sometimes the late season Will have migratory birds also
    "My resume is the trail of destruction behind me. " Bucky Katt

If your kid wants to go, take him and make the best of it. There’s more to it than a limit.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoggin View Post
    If your kid wants to go, take him and make the best of it. There’s more to it than a limit.
    This

Also, I've had some good shoots and not so good shoots on public fields. I typically try to drive by a field a few times during the week just to see how the birds might fly. If it was opening day you would want to be there early. For this weekend I'd prolly show up between 1 and 2 to see how crowded it was and then sit in the truck for a bit to see what kind of characters I'd be sharing the field with. I don't mind the birds not flying great but my kids safety is #1. Honestly, I've never had any real issues on a public field, but there was a time I left before exiting the truck b/c of what o saw.

Listen to these guys. My 2 cents which is totally opinion is find a dove club and use it the first few weekends. After that, very few care about Grey birds. Check to see if it is worth the effort 2nd and 3rd season. You will probably be surprised how good a dove hunt is when weather factors in and there is 0 competition.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoggin View Post
    This.

I have hunted public fields a lot and had some good hunts. Never had any notable issues. As said above I’d best most will be pretty empty of both hunters and birds.

I've had a good time 3rd season with a public field all to myself more than a few times. Too busy deer hunting during second season.

I will say though, closest field to you is also the closest field to Columbia. Third Saturday will be just as packed as the first...There's a couple more within an hour, you just don't know if they'll have any birds till you get there...

Another vote for taking the lad after scouting the field ahead of time. After those first initial hunts many people realize they suck at shooting a shotgun, it cools off so they go get in the deer stand and don't hunt doves again all season. I've had some good hunts in late September on public fields. Hit or miss though, the scouting will pay dividends come day of the hunt.

Like CurLee stated, 2nd and 3rd season hunts those fields are empty and can be good also.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Public fields can be a shit show and they can also be barn burners as everyone else has said. I've been on both ends. I plan on hunting one Saturday morning. It may suck, it may not. Either way I'll be happy that I got up and went.

And also another motion to watch who is on the field with you. I got shot on a public field opening day, 75/80ish yards. His buddies showed back up on Monday but he didn't. Hopefully the lashing I gave him ran him off for good or he decided he should figure his shit out before coming back to a public field, or any field for that matter.
    Last edited by SCswampCAT; 09-16-2020 at 08:55 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunwannabe View Post
    Man is merely a two legged locust, devouring wild lands, developing and prostituting wildlife and fisheries under the guise of "use of the resource" for tremendous profit and moving on. Will it ever end?

Quote Originally Posted by SCswampCAT View Post
    Public fields can be a shit show and they can also be barn burners as everyone else has said. I've been on both ends. I plan on hunting one Saturday morning. It may suck, it may not. Either way I'll be happy that I got up and went.

And also another motion to watch who is on the field with you. I got shot on a public field opening day, 75/80ish yards. His buddies showed back up on Monday but he didn't. Hopefully the lashing I gave him ran him off for good or he decided he should figure his shit out before coming back to a public field, or any field for that matter.
    Ditto, had some great shoots and not so great shoots on public fields over the years. Also got shot several years ago by a low bird shooter and shamed him into leaving the field, got talked out of following him to the truck.Aint no bird worth shooting someones eyes out

I thought all public fields were off limits until 12 noon?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Quote Originally Posted by willyworm View Post
    I thought all public fields were off limits until 12 noon?
    What I thought
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"