Thread: WWJD?

Default WWJD?

I always liked this guy, but this is interesting...

Tim Tebow’s skills as an NFL quarterback left much to be desired. Apparently, the Denver Broncos didn’t like his personality much better.

According to a new book about Broncos president and former quarterback John Elway — “Elway: A Relentless Life,” by Jason Cole — Tebow is described as “the most self-centered humble guy I’ve ever met,” by one Denver staffer, and accused of fracturing his relationship with the team due to egotism and greed.

The former Heisman Trophy winner reportedly angered Broncos management during the 2011 season by making a “cottage industry” of speaking gigs, which the ultra-Christian quarterback charged $50,000 at various churches. As Tebow sparked an improbable run to the second round of the playoffs that year, Elway’s wife, Janet, allegedly asked the quarterback to make an appearance at a charity event. Tebow’s brother reportedly told her it would cost $50,000, and Janet declined, saying her husband didn’t pay for such appearances.

Tebow, who was surprisingly selected by Denver in the first round of the 2010 NFL Draft, became the starter in the midst of the 2011 season and led one of the most improbable runs in recent history.

Taking over for an ineffective Kyle Orton, Tebow put up terrible statistics — completing 46.5 percent of his passes — but incredibly led the Broncos to a slew of late comebacks, going 7-4 as the team’s starter. Tebow’s overtime touchdown pass to Demaryius Thomas in the wild-card round of the playoffs clinched an upset of the Steelers, but his final game as an NFL starting quarterback came in a 45-10 loss to the Patriots in the next round.

In the book, Cole writes the Broncos thought Tebow was “simply awful,” and “struggled to understand concepts in reading defense and executing the offense.”

“As one teammate put it bluntly that season,” Cole wrote, “‘He has no idea what’s going on out there. If the first read doesn’t work, he’s just making it up.'”

After signing future Hall of Famer Peyton Manning as a free agent in 2012, Elway traded Tebow to the Jets. Manning would go on to win an MVP and a Super Bowl, while Tebow never played in an NFL regular season game after 2012. After being released by the Jets, Tebow would become a preseason cut of both the Patriots and Eagles.

Tebow, 33, signed with the Mets in 2016, but has yet to reach the major leagues.

https://nypost.com/2020/09/11/new-bo...h-broncos/amp/

What’s interesting about it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

Sounds like he bit the hand that feeds him, asking Elway for his standard $50k speaking fee for a charity.
    I always like the guys character as I saw it portrayed, don't know much about him other than that.

The charity thing aside, I thought "a cottage industry" charging $50,000 per to witness Christianity to churches was interesting.

But yeah, when the bosses wife calls and asks you to show up for his charity event, and your rep tells them that will be 50k, and you don't fix that with the quickness, your value just tanked...

Didn't know about this. Always found it interesting that Christian bands or groups will play at your church for a fee. Love offering isn't enough.

Sounds to me like a confident guy trying to make money in America. I'll guaran-damn-tee you that John Elway expects to get paid for his time. He got what he wanted when he came out of college...made it happen...good for him. Tebow gave it his best shot and made his money by providing a service people were obviously willing to pay him for. He didn't owe John Elway jack...its business.
    Last edited by WhitewaterDuck; 09-15-2020 at 10:03 PM.
    “I can’t wait ‘till I’m grown” is the stupidest @!#* I ever said!

He may have a charged a speaking fee, but he witnessed to the world every time he was on TV for free..

Article also doesn’t appear to be biased at all..
    Last edited by PBiz; 09-16-2020 at 06:02 AM.
    Natural Born Killer Prostaff - Killing Tomorrow's Trophies Today...

TFC -"Be tough or get tough"

Conservation Permit Holder #5213

All I know is that I dont care either way.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.